DeLorme rebate - too techie for newbie?

monaghme

Hi. I'm new here and was doing some research as to which GPS to buy. I have no recommendations as I've never owned a GPS but in my research I see that there's a rebate that starts tomorrow (when purchased through certain sellers). $20 for the PN-20 and $50 for the PN-40 (which Walmart now has for $328 before rebate).

I see many posts that say the Garmin CSX and DeLorme PN-40 are both pretty savvy devices and with the rebate are about the same price point, but I'm a novice so I might just go for something less intimidating....any advise if I want to spend about $150 or less?

Question: would any of the units have maps available for rural Ireland? When I called DeLorme to confirm that the rebate was good if the unit was purchased at Walmart they said there's only comes with USA maps.

Thanks. Maureen

Oooops, I had a nice long reply typed up and then I spotted the Ireland thing.....sorry!! If using primarily in the USA, the PN-40 is the one for you!! Not too hard at all, I am pretty computer ignorant and have had little trouble loading maps and caches!!

Also, you might consider the Garmin 60CSx. You can grab it off of amazon.com for around $170 if you get lucky and find it on sale (they do the sales randomly). Some sing praises of the 60CSx, it's well-loved by many a cacher.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

The availability of maps for the areas where you want to use it may well drive your choice.

For international use, Delorme sells a program called XMap Pro--similar to the TopoUSA software, but the big addition is the capability of importing third party imagery for transfer to the PN-40. These are not street routable maps, so you might want something that would get you around the roads in Ireland.

Is this for incidental Gaelic use or primary? How much would you be using it stateside?

Much as I like my PN-40, it's probably not for you if your primary use is outside the US and maps are important to you. Rolling your own georeferenced maps is possible with XMap IF you have the source cartography to start with. (XMap adds $100US to the cost of the unit.) It might not drive you nuts if it was for a relatively small area. You could even roll your own routable road maps if you had infinite patience and a lot of time on your hands. But that would certainly not be worth your while, even for a small area.

Bottom line -- If you want it for use outside the US and maps are important, PN-40 is likely not for you unless you really enjoy pain. :(

When dealing with rebates, you have to ask yourself whether the price you're paying now is a fair price for what you're buying. With all the hassles, scams, and glitches with rebates, you have to be prepared to not get that check.

As far as the GPS units go, I have a 60CSx and really like it, but I'm only using it in the US, not Ireland.

When dealing with rebates, you have to ask yourself whether the price you're paying now is a fair price for what you're buying. With all the hassles, scams, and glitches with rebates, you have to be prepared to not get that check.

As far as the GPS units go, I have a 60CSx and really like it, but I'm only using it in the US, not Ireland.

She called DeLorme and they verified the rebate was good...no need to question that!

I wish the OP would come back in and answer where the unit will primarily be used, it would help to give advice!

I do think the DeLorme will give a base map for Ireland (could be wrong here, maybe someone can jump in and give a more educated answer), so caching in Ireland with the DeLorme shouldn't be a problem...just no street maps and no routing. I am thinking you can buy maps for the Garmin, but that's another expense, so you'll need to check the pricing of that!

I just checked Amazon, and came up with this. Looks like they raised their price $10, then added the $50 off..

DeLorme Earthmate PN-40

List Price: $399.95

Price: $339.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

You Save: $59.96 (15%)

Special Offers Available

Rebate: $50.00

Price After Rebate: $289.99

I just checked Amazon, and came up with this. Looks like they raised their price $10, then added the $50 off..

DeLorme Earthmate PN-40

List Price: $399.95

Price: $339.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

You Save: $59.96 (15%)

Special Offers Available

Rebate: $50.00

Price After Rebate: $289.99

It's not "$50.00 off", it's a $50 rebate. It's an important distinction, especially when calculating sales tax and what you're actually paying the seller. Amazon gets $339.99 for the unit, not $289.99. Your $50 doesn't come from Amazon, it comes from (I'm guessing here) DeLorme.

Amazon's price went from $319.99 to $339.99 several days ago, maybe as much as week - I don't recall.

Edited by dakboy

Hi. I originally saw the rebate on cabelas website but their retail price is much higher. Walmart now is $334 and the rebate is through Delorme itself.

The Ireland thing isn't really that important, I was just going there on vacation and thought it would be handy for talking country walks.

My main interest is in starting geocaching in my area. In doing some more research (I'm slightly afraid the DeLorme might be too complicated for me based on some reviews). I see that tigergps has a special on the discontinued eTrex Venture CX with a New England topo map included in the bundle for $169. It mentions this model is discontinued which worried me though....is it outdated or was there a problem with them???

I'm going to look more into the 60 CSX but would I then have to spend an additional $100 or so for the maps (bringing it up to the PN-40 price) or is the basemap sufficient for geocaching as it's shipped?

(DeLorme told me no, there was no Ireland map available that I'd only see possibly major roadways.)

Hi. I originally saw the rebate on cabelas website but their retail price is much higher. Walmart now is $334 and the rebate is through Delorme itself.

The Ireland thing isn't really that important, I was just going there on vacation and thought it would be handy for talking country walks.

My main interest is in starting geocaching in my area. In doing some more research (I'm slightly afraid the DeLorme might be too complicated for me based on some reviews). I see that tigergps has a special on the discontinued eTrex Venture CX with a New England topo map included in the bundle for $169. It mentions this model is discontinued which worried me though....is it outdated or was there a problem with them???

I'm going to look more into the 60 CSX but would I then have to spend an additional $100 or so for the maps (bringing it up to the PN-40 price) or is the basemap sufficient for geocaching as it's shipped?

(DeLorme told me no, there was no Ireland map available that I'd only see possibly major roadways.)

.... In doing some more research (I'm slightly afraid the DeLorme might be too complicated for me based on some reviews). ....

This was mostly rumor and hearsay primarily circulated by people that had never used a PN-40.

Now with the Send to GPS plug-in made available yesterday to all PN-40 users, such advice is totally irrelevant. Look at some of the posts herein and in the DeLorme forum from those who have tried it already.

The basemaps on the 60CSx are enough for geocaching. I have it with just basemaps and it's great once you are off road. If you want turn by turn directions you would have to buy city navigator.

Cheers,

dc

Edited by dadude712

The mapcenter list a free Ireland map for the Garmin. A quick google search produced others - but not all may be free or meet your needs.

My main interest is in starting geocaching in my area. ... 60 CSX but would I then have to spend an additional $100 or so for the maps ... or is the basemap sufficient for geocaching as it's shipped?

Many (self included) have geocached with just the basemap (which is not even needed) and the 'general' location map provide for each cache. Some caches can be found with that map without even using a GPSr.

The gpsfiledepot list many free maps - I believe the author of the NE map is extending it to RI&CT, Ibycus covers the US in one file, the author of the three South ... maps intends 3 more to cover the northern states, and I may again attempt to place some data sets on a website. With more people coming up to speed on custom-map creation for Garmin units it is more a matter of finding free source data for an area.

Be sure to get an 'x' unit which uses a replacable micro SD card to store the maps; 2Gb cards can now be found for $10, and the one which comes with a 60CSX can easily hold CT.

I will tell you this, the PN-40 isn't hard to use AT ALL!! I am computer ignorant, but I had my first PQ loaded and ready to cache in minutes. The maps are not complicated either, and there's a simple step by step process detailed in the DeLorme forums! I think you'd be able to get this little box down without trouble!

And, as posted above, the new send to GPS feature for Delorme is available and loads the cache (with description...paperless caching) straight to the GPS with a mere click of a link!

Paperless caching is a great thing, it makes caching so much easier! Instead of writing down the cache info, and carrying a paper around with you, you can simply load the cache to GPS, go out and find it. Have a problem, the description is in the GPS. Need a hint? In the GPS.

The aerial maps though, are the one greatest thing I can see about the PN-40...WOW!!!!!!!!!! Just like flying over the area, you can see swamps, rivers and other problems before having to deal with them, allowing you to choose your route wisely!

The nice thing about the PN-40 is that if you buy it and then decide it's too complicated to learn how to use, Delorme has a 30 day return policy. Personally, my opinion is if you know how to use a PC you can use a PN-40. There are many owners on the Delorme forums happy to answer questions.

At the risk of upsetting the PN-40 evangelistas, IMHO...

The PN-40 is not a good choice for a first GPS. It is a wonderful, powerful, and complex device. If you don't mind a bit of a learning curve, it might be okay, but in general I won't be recommending it for first-timers.

What do you base this on?? Have you used the PN-40?

The "learning curve" you speak of...what is the problem? If anyone here can read instructions, click buttons and think, they're good to go! I think a lot of people believe the unit is hard to use, but have only based this on hearsay, I can tell you, this is FALSE!

If you're a newb and want to start caching, the PN-40 will work for you with only a minimal loading of maps (included), which takes a very short time and a mere click or two of the buttons. NO MORE! I had my unit loaded with the TOPO maps in minutes! Remember, I said I am a computer idiot...I can't even figure out GSAK (something you'll need for almost all other units if you want to load PQs to your GPS), but I had this figured out in minutes!!

Loadiing caches to the PN-40 is as simple as clicking the send to GPS button on the cache page...if you've used a Garmin and could do this, you are GOLDEN!! Send one cache or 500 caches, it's SIMPLE!! If you've NEVER loaded a cache to a GPS before, you cannot get any simpler than this, ONLY Garmin and DeLorme can do this!!! And, when you load a cache directly from the cache page, you get the full description of the cache right there, no work to make the unit paperless AT ALL!

I can't say this enough....here's the step-by-step for loading a PQ to your GPS:

1) do the PQ on the GS site (THIS is harder than any other step...trust me).

2) unzip the PQ that is emailed to you (remember, these first steps are universal to ANY GPS using PQs)

3) open your TOPO7 and leave it in the background while you click on the unzipped PQ and drag it to the TOPO7...just drag it onto the maps and it'll load to TOPO7 for you...no hard work herre!

4) choose export to handheld (make sure handheld is connected to computer)

5) load the caches...this will take a few seconds or a minute, but you are merely watching.

6) go find the caches!

Now, how hard is this?? Really??

As for maps, you DON'T HAVE TO LOAD ANY OTHER MAPS unless you desire them! The only map you truly need loads right up when you set up the unit. BUT, the additional maps are firly easy and can be learned at your own pace and you can read the DeLrme forums for a step-by-step process which makes it COMPLETELY simple!

Routing with the unit: choose the cache, choose routing choice and go!

Paperless caching: on your GPS...choose the cache, move your cursor up over the name of the cache and click, the unit asks if you want to read description, there's paperless!

For crying out loud, setting up my home computer was 10X harder than setting up the DeLorme PN-40...hooking up a VCR is tougher!

The PN-40 is not a good choice for a first GPS. It is a wonderful, powerful, and complex device. If you don't mind a bit of a learning curve, it might be okay, but in general I won't be recommending it for first-timers.

Don't consider myself a PN-40 evangelista (OK, go ahead and say it -- a PN-40 bigot :) ) as I own (and like and use) both a Colorado and a PN-40. That said, I do think this depends to some degree on how many features you want to use. If what you want is hiking/biking/geocaching with the standard topo/street maps, you probably won't have any trouble. The unit itself is fairly easy to use -- certainly no worse than the simpler Garmin units. The reason I draw the line at using the standard maps is that you don't need the Topo 7 software to do that. With the new plug-in at geocaching.com, you can now download caches (albeit one at a time) without T7 as well.

However, if you want to use features like aerial imagery or the 1:24K USGS topos, or if you want to use pocket queries, you will need to dip into T7. This raises the bar significantly. You don't have to learn much more about the unit to actually use the imagery in the field. But it does take a little work (and some patience) to use T7 to download it, cut it for use on the PN-40, and transfer it to the unit. Even that's not difficult to do, but it's easy to become intimidated while trying to discover the process.

Bottom line is that I would not necessarily recommend against it for a newbie. But be prepared for some challenges if you want to use the fancier features. Lots of help available here and (especially) in the Delorme forums: http://forums.delorme.com

Don't consider myself a PN-40 evangelista (OK, go ahead and say it -- a PN-40 bigot :) ) as I own (and like and use) both a Colorado and a PN-40. That said, I do think this depends to some degree on how many features you want to use. If what you want is hiking/biking/geocaching with the standard topo/street maps, you probably won't have any trouble. The unit itself is fairly easy to use -- certainly no worse than the simpler Garmin units. The reason I draw the line at using the standard maps is that you don't need the Topo 7 software to do that. With the new plug-in at geocaching.com, you can now download caches (albeit one at a time) without T7 as well.

However, if you want to use features like aerial imagery or the 1:24K USGS topos, or if you want to use pocket queries, you will need to dip into T7. This raises the bar significantly. You don't have to learn much more about the unit to actually use the imagery in the field. But it does take a little work (and some patience) to use T7 to download it, cut it for use on the PN-40, and transfer it to the unit. Even that's not difficult to do, but it's easy to become intimidated while trying to discover the process.

Bottom line is that I would not necessarily recommend against it for a newbie. But be prepared for some challenges if you want to use the fancier features. Lots of help available here and (especially) in the Delorme forums: http://forums.delorme.com

You hit it head on. It does appear intimidating when first trying, but the steps are simple and you'll have it down in no time! I loaded my first color aerial image a day or two after buying the unit and it was SUPER simple. I then tried to load a larger color aerial and was hitting my head on the wall, couldn't figure it out! Well, my mistake was, I had a cold and was on nyquil (that's the truth too)...I was trying things left and right, couldn't make heads nor tails of it, and I was trying to follow the instructions (after thinking I had it down without using the instructions). Next morning, after calming down and gaining a level head again, I realized I had skipped ONE critical step that had me dogged the night before...I didn't save the maps before trying to send them...D'OH!

In TOPO7, you can download some excellent maps...aerial, hi-res city, NOAA charts etc...what you do, you highlight (select) the area you wish to load, order the map and then wait a few minutes while they send the map to you (simplle, really simple). When the map arrives, they email you to let you know, you go to the downloads tab on the TOPO7 and then download. After this, you transfer it to the TOPO7 and it is now ready to export to GPS!

From here, you highlight the area you want to send to GPS, SAVE it, then export to GPS...it takes awhile (my biggest file took 5 hours, but I did it with the card IN the unit, can be faster. BUT, if you're panning ahead, you can simply do all the work and then let it download while you sleep). I mean, it's that simple...if you don't forget to save the map before export....

:laughing:

I might add, I've only owned my PN-40 about 2 or 3 weeks....and remember, I'm a computer IDIOT!!!! I might also add, I am one who is deathly afraid of trying to do new things such as loading maps and such, I fear I'll permanently ruin the unit and leave me with a piece of junk...I am not intimidated by my PN-40 at all!

Just remember, the menus are different for dirfferent screens (the maps screen menu allows for map options, the compas screen has it's own options etc...this threw me at first, but I quickly figured it out!

The next thing I want to try is to send a route back from the GPS to the computer (TOPO7)...this seems hard to me, but I bet it's simpler than I imagine! I'm also dying to try out the field notes transfer from GPS to the computer!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

What do you base this on?? Have you used the PN-40?

Well I wasn't trolling, but it sure had that effect. :)

Yes, I've been using one since they first came out.

Wish I had a link for you, but a DeLorme staffer said in this forum, it wasn't a good choice for a first-time user. I understand that people will disagree though.

I hope to get my review posted in the next week or two. One of the things I'd like to do is post a Topo USA tutorial, because a few step-by-step directions on the basics would go a long way towards overcoming the learning curve.

I think everyone is right on this debate about the difficulty level of the PN-40/Topo7 package, because it depends so much on the individual in terms of patience, persistence, and comfort with things techie. TWolpert hits the balance pretty well IMO: the PN-40 does the basics in a reasonably straight-forward manner that are no better or worse than the difficulty in learning to use any other handheld GPS. It's the depth of features--mainly associated with the imagery capabilities--that makes it more complicated. If set aside until one feels ready to take them on, the PN-40 is a doable venture for a newbie.

It is mostly the Topo7 software, and particularly the imagery downloading and detail map creation process that is the complicated part. Somoeone aptly pointed out that comparing Topo7 to Garmin's Mapsource software was like comparing Word to Notepad. As with Word, many users will employ a fraction of Topo7's capabilities. And that's fine. If one doesn't bite off more than one can chew, the meal goes well. (If you're curious about what the process of downloading imagery data and creating a detail map looks likethis Flash tutorial illustrates the process. Note that the steps aren't all that complicated--it's knowing what to do when that can be very confusing the first time through.)

As Rich implies, other GPS models don't offer the extra imagery capabilities and so one doesn't have to bother with a whole level of complexity. This makes the GPS much simpler to master--something lost, but something gained. As Roddy says, there are directions, tutorials, and online help available to get a new user up the learning curve. Delorme themselves have said that the PN-40 is not aimed at the first-time GPS owner. That doesn't necessarily preclude someone from jumping in to the deep end of the pool, but it does acknowledge that many GPS owners would be most comfortable starting with something more basic. I used to try a little more actively to deter someone from starting off with a PN device, but Delorme has begun to make it possible to do some things with the PNs like loading detail map files and geocaches without having to delve into Topo7, which makes the learning curve less steep (if still pretty long).

In the end, the prospective buyer will have to determine what she thinks is the best match for her particular needs and temperament.

Edit to add: I think Rich's opinions and advice are the gold standard. He's among the relatively few of us who has extensive use of many different GPS models, and is well-situated to offer critiques of pros and cons from first-hand use. I have always found his opinions to be objective and well-informed. Most of the rest of us are experts on the model we own, but have limited knowledge about competing models.

Edited by embra

I think everyone is right on this debate about the difficulty level of the PN-40/Topo7 package, because it depends so much on the individual in terms of patience, persistence, and comfort with things techie. TWolpert hits the balance pretty well IMO: the PN-40 does the basics in a reasonably straight-forward manner that are no better or worse than the difficulty in learning to use any other handheld GPS. It's the depth of features--mainly associated with the imagery capabilities--that makes it more complicated. If set aside until one feels ready to take them on, the PN-40 is a doable venture for a newbie.

It is mostly the Topo7 software, and particularly the imagery downloading and detail map creation process that is the complicated part. Somoeone aptly pointed out that comparing Topo7 to Garmin's Mapsource software was like comparing Word to Notepad. As with Word, many users will employ a fraction of Topo7's capabilities. And that's fine. If one doesn't bite off more than one can chew, the meal goes well. (If you're curious about what the process of downloading imagery data and creating a detail map looks likethis Flash tutorial illustrates the process. Note that the steps aren't all that complicated--it's knowing what to do when that can be very confusing the first time through.)

As Rich implies, other GPS models don't offer the extra imagery capabilities and so one doesn't have to bother with a whole level of complexity. This makes the GPS much simpler to master--something lost, but something gained. As Roddy says, there are directions, tutorials, and online help available to get a new user up the learning curve. Delorme themselves have said that the PN-40 is not aimed at the first-time GPS owner. That doesn't necessarily preclude someone from jumping in to the deep end of the pool, but it does acknowledge that many GPS owners would be most comfortable starting with something more basic. I used to try a little more actively to deter someone from starting off with a PN device, but Delorme has begun to make it possible to do some things with the PNs like loading detail map files and geocaches without having to delve into Topo7, which makes the learning curve less steep (if still pretty long).

In the end, the prospective buyer will have to determine what she thinks is the best match for her particular needs and temperament.

Edit to add: I think Rich's opinions and advice are the gold standard. He's among the relatively few of us who has extensive use of many different GPS models, and is well-situated to offer critiques of pros and cons from first-hand use. I have always found his opinions to be objective and well-informed. Most of the rest of us are experts on the model we own, but have limited knowledge about competing models.

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but couldn't resist commenting on this one. I have used Garmin, Trimble, and Delorme GPS units. Hands down the Delorme PN-40 is the best of the lot for both geocaching and professional use. We have over 30 of the PN-20's and PN-40's. The PN-40 is no harder to learn than the Garmin units! It is packaged with TOPO 7 which is a great mapping program for geocaching and traveling.

Having the map package come with the unit is a huge advantage over Garmin. Also for a minimal subscription of $29.00 per year, you can download all of the aerial photography you want and USGS quad maps plus from Delorme.

Remember, anything new looks a little complicated until you are used to it. A year or two down the road you will be glad you spent a little extra to get the features of the PN-40. I am not a GPS expert and vividly remember when I started out. I was really confused with all the units.

Also there are a lot of great people on this forum that are experts and very willing to help. Also Delorme is always willing to help and are are great company. I sound like a Delorme rep., but be assured I am only a happy user.

Hope this helps a little.

Hi. I'm new here and was doing some research as to which GPS to buy. I have no recommendations as I've never owned a GPS but in my research I see that there's a rebate that starts tomorrow (when purchased through certain sellers). $20 for the PN-20 and $50 for the PN-40 (which Walmart now has for $328 before rebate).

I see many posts that say the Garmin CSX and DeLorme PN-40 are both pretty savvy devices and with the rebate are about the same price point, but I'm a novice so I might just go for something less intimidating....any advise if I want to spend about $150 or less?

Question: would any of the units have maps available for rural Ireland? When I called DeLorme to confirm that the rebate was good if the unit was purchased at Walmart they said there's only comes with USA maps.

Thanks. Maureen

You cannot go wrong with the PN-40! It is not that hard to learn to use and there is great help on this forum and from Delorme. The Topo 7 software that is packaged with the unit is a big plus and remember Delorme has been in the mapping business for years. I have used Garmin, Trimble, as well as Delorme both personally and at my work. In fact we have over 30 PN-20's and PN-40's. You will be happy you made the investment in the PN-40. Hope this helps a little.

Wish I had a link for you, but a DeLorme staffer said in this forum, it wasn't a good choice for a first-time user. I understand that people will disagree though.

I hope to get my review posted in the next week or two. One of the things I'd like to do is post a Topo USA tutorial, because a few step-by-step directions on the basics would go a long way towards overcoming the learning curve.

I think you might have read the opinion of a DeLorme user rather than a staffer... there are a few that post for Team DeLorme but a quick search didn't turn up what you've described.

Here is a link to a Geocaching Tips blog post...

http://blog.delorme.com/2008/04/14/geocach...d-pn-20-owners/

Here is a link to our Getting Started Guide, notice that one side describes setup and the other talks about using Topo USA with the PN...

http://www.delorme.com/support/Downloads/G...tingStarted.pdf

Our PN-40 User Manual is being updated with all of the geocaching features too, here's the link where that will be posted...

http://www.delorme.com/support/Downloads/G...0UserManual.pdf

I hope these links help with some of the questions about interaction between the PN-Series devices and Topo USA. I'm working on a blog post for managing GPS data with Topo USA... let me know if anyone has other topics they'd like to see covered.

Thanks,

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

The mapcenter list a free Ireland map for the Garmin. A quick google search produced others - but not all may be free or meet your needs.

My main interest is in starting geocaching in my area. ... 60 CSX but would I then have to spend an additional $100 or so for the maps ... or is the basemap sufficient for geocaching as it's shipped?

Many (self included) have geocached with just the basemap (which is not even needed) and the 'general' location map provide for each cache. Some caches can be found with that map without even using a GPSr.

The gpsfiledepot list many free maps - I believe the author of the NE map is extending it to RI&CT, Ibycus covers the US in one file, the author of the three South ... maps intends 3 more to cover the northern states, and I may again attempt to place some data sets on a website. With more people coming up to speed on custom-map creation for Garmin units it is more a matter of finding free source data for an area.

Be sure to get an 'x' unit which uses a replacable micro SD card to store the maps; 2Gb cards can now be found for $10, and the one which comes with a 60CSX can easily hold CT.

Not only that but you can get routable streetmaps for Ireland here:

http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/download.html

And check here for contour overlays: Contor maps

On the PN front, you can load shapefiles into xMap editor from here:

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/europe/ireland#breadcrumbs

Edited by coggins

Thanks Chip. I PM'd you.

I'd love to see some tutorials on using routes and tracks, addressing issues like getting distance to next waypoint, using named waypoints in routes generated by Topo USA, converting tracks to routes, etc. I've figured some of these out, but in my testing they have been the more complicated issues.

I have found some things much easier to do than expected, like loading maps and imagery. In reality, I don't think the PN-40 is that complicated. It's Topo USA that has more of a learning curve, but the help menus have been greatly improved, making many operations pretty straightforward.

Thanks Chip. I PM'd you.

I'd love to see some tutorials on using routes and tracks, addressing issues like getting distance to next waypoint, using named waypoints in routes generated by Topo USA, converting tracks to routes, etc. I've figured some of these out, but in my testing they have been the more complicated issues.

I have found some things much easier to do than expected, like loading maps and imagery. In reality, I don't think the PN-40 is that complicated. It's Topo USA that has more of a learning curve, but the help menus have been greatly improved, making many operations pretty straightforward.

Good, it looks like there is now some accordance it the definition of steep learning curve. Now, with the release of the Send to GPS functionality, begining geocachers can use there PN-20, -40 without even installing Topo USA. All they need is to click on the Send to GPS button shown on the subject cache screen and the full cache description is in their PN-40. That's right after installation of the Send to GPS plugin, it's a one-clicker, how easy and non-steep is that?

Outside of that, it's a real hair puller. :)

So, when newbies come here, a geocaching centric forum, looking for advice, there is no longer any reason whatsoever to scare them off with the steep learning curve of Topo USA 7.0.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

If I had come in here before buying my PN-40 and read the comments of some, I might very well have skipped buying what might very well be the best geocaching GPS around. I am not overly bright with computers and gadgets scare me, seeing some say the learning curve is hard or what not would have driven me away for certain! :laughing:

I agree that the toughest part is the mapping, but as has been said, maps aren't even needed (although the TOPO maps are as easy as hooking up the GPS and loading a disc into the computer). A lot of cachers don't even want maps at first (I think more because they feel intimidated or simply can't afford better), but having them included with the price of the unit...WOW! Learning slowly while still able to cache and enjoy all of what you bought the unit for...GREAT!! As I said, I have only used mine for around 3 weeks tops, and I already feel like an old pro (although I know I have much more to learn about with all the bells and whistles this toy has).

Chip was one who I emailed during my night of nyquil fluster, THANKS for the reply, my friend!!

A quick follow-up to my post since I was mistaken and Redwoods Mtn Biker did read a post from a DeLorme staffer. This person was describing the PN-40 and Topo USA as a serious GPS mapping solution with a learning curve that might not be appropriate for new users. In the staffer's defense, he was describing the transfer process that has since been greatly simplified with the improvements to our Online Map Center, our Send to GPS plug-in and the upcoming Cache Register release.

Redwoods Mtn Biker kindly sent me the link to that post via a PM rather than setting me on fire in public and I appreciate that. I wanted to share this because his gesture combined with his polite reply here seems like a good example for all of us that sometimes get too caught up with brand loyalty and forget to talk about the technology we all enjoy working with.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Geez, between you and Embra, I'm gonna get the big head! Seriously, you're both very kind and great contributors to Groundspeak.

I chimed into this thread because the OP expressed concern about being a novice. I don't know what percentage of newbies would be overwhelmed by the PN-40 -- 0.1%? 1%? 5%? But when someone posts a question and mentions being intimidated, I think they need to hear different perspectives. Fortunately I'm going to be able to address this in detail in my forthcoming review. I'm sure its going to be glowing, with very few caveats.

Regardless, I think Chip and his cohorts at DeLorme should feel quite proud that, between creating a wonderful device, communicating openly and offering great, community-based support, they've engendered a zealous group of "evangelistas," as is evident throughout this forum. Clearly they've captured the hearts and minds of many a geocacher.

Witht he beta update, life just got even easier and my love of the PN-40 grew!!! Field notes, 15,000 character descriptions, all the beautiful and simplifying features...YES!!!!

Anyone worried this is too techie should realize this thing can be used simply by removing it from the box, work into the great features as you get more comfortable with the unit.

And, with the 30 day return policy, what have you got to lose??