New Builder Update planned?

biboleck30

Could someone from Groundpeak pleeease,pleeease,pleease give us ALL some info on the future of this Wherigo-project?

It would be nice if Groundspeak would clarify. Some friends were at the maze in Rochester last week and heard rumours that Wherigo is dead. I hope not.

Edited by Tequila

It would be nice if Groundspeak would clarify. Some friends where at the maze in Rochester last week and heard rumours that Wherigo is dead. I hope not.

.... dead :(

That would really be too bad. Wherigo is a great activity, and just starting to get some traction too. Hopefully the Java player will motivate Groundspeak to rethink that stance.

It IS a pity that we're not seeing WiG clients on Delorme, Magellan (other) units. I've also noticed there is no Wherigo player mentioned in the Nuvifone announcement. Garmin hasn't said "no" yet (ask #nuvifone on Twitter) but they haven't put that in their marketing materials that I've seen so far either.

Could someone from Groundpeak pleeease,pleeease,pleease give us ALL some info on the future of this Wherigo-project?

It would be nice if Groundspeak would clarify. Some friends were at the maze in Rochester last week and heard rumours that Wherigo is dead. I hope not.

NOT TRUE AT ALL!

I was at the maze event in Rochester on Sat. The night before, there was an unofficial "meet & greet" with Shauna from Groundspeak. I had the chance to speak with her about Wherigo, and was told that it is NOT dead.

There are some things in the works, including some news on the builder issue that should be announced soon.

NOT TRUE AT ALL!

I was at the maze event in Rochester on Sat. The night before, there was an unofficial "meet & greet" with Shauna from Groundspeak. I had the chance to speak with her about Wherigo, and was told that it is NOT dead.

There are some things in the works, including some news on the builder issue that should be announced soon.

that is good news. Thanks Mick.

I wish Groundspeak would hire a publicist. They are lousy at PR.

Great!

Can someone of Groundspeak confirm this information? Please?

See Jeremy's Post

The short response is that the Wherigo project isn't dead. It isn't, however, getting the attention it deserves for a couple reasons.

First, last year was the year of the iPhone and with it came some intense pressure to bring geocaching to the iPhone. Resources that would have gone to Wherigo shifted to the iPhone. This is, on the whole, good, since the iPhone device is one of the most powerful connected devices with GPS out there today. It is also a lot more accessible, particularly with updates, than the Garmin Colorado and Oregon. It is very hard for us to release updates to the Wherigo Player on the Garmin devices by the sheer nature of the best. A disconnected device gets far less updates than a connected one.

(the underlying hope is a Wherigo application for iPhone, but that's down the road a bit)

Secondly, resources in general have been tough to come by due to the demands of geocaching. The traffic continues to grow and we end up spending more time on geocaching because it has more traction and it pays the bills. It's hard to develop Wherigo with the lights out.

Speaking of lights, however, there is a light at the end of the tunnel for Wherigo. We're currently in the process of putting together more support behind the web based building tool, codenamed Earwigo. In addition to supporting a web tool and opening it up to a broader audience, we plan to open source the Wherigo Builder for some brave soul, or souls, to take over. Otherwise we'll focus primarily on the Wherigo web version so we have one place to manage the projects.

Our hope is to have something up and running before the beginning of the outdoor season towards the end of May, but the likelihood is we'll open the web tool before then for feedback. What Nick has done with his Earwigo project is pretty great and we hope to expose it to a larger audience.

I hope this helps. In the meantime my goal is to get someone at Groundspeak to "man" the forums along with the great work that Ranger Fox is doing here already. That way you'll know you still have the ear of Groundspeak in the Wherigo forums.

In regards to Jeremy's statement... We're currently in the process of putting together more support behind the web based building tool, codenamed Earwigo.

I hope that the web based builder is similar to GPSMISSION for iPhone.

It is a nice simple drag and drop system for making zone locations, then WYSISYG riddles/actions and picking up coins to earn points.

I hope that the web based builder is similar to GPSMISSION for iPhone.

Nope. :) Using Earwigo feels somewhat like using the Groundspeak builder but with quite a lot less clicking. But in the 300 hours or so of programming which I've done to build it, I didn't have time to write a drag-and-drop interface.

Wherigo is at least an order of magnitude more powerful (and therefore "complicated") than GpsMission. The ability to specify what happens in the various event handlers means that it's hard to have a drag-and-drop interface. Such a program could be useful for creating cartridges which use only a small subset of Wherigo's functionality, though. A number of people have suggested that the barrier to entry with Wherigo is too high.

When I started writing Earwigo, I had the following design goals:

- Be feature compatible with the Groundspeak builder

- Allow multilingual cartridges (with correct accented characters, as far as they are supported by the hardware) and a multilingual builder interface

- Less clicking and more re-use of objects. (If you have two tasks, say, that differ only slightly, you can define one, copy it, and make a few changes to the copy.)

Cartridges created with Earwigo can be read by the Groundspeak builder, unless you use some of Earwigo's extended functionality like play-anywhere. However, reading existing Lua files was not a design goal (I wrote the program initially for me, and I didn't have any cartridges...), so it can't do that. But I bet Matejcik could write code to do it. :)

Edited by sTeamTraen