Predesignated FTF

I recently put out a Wherigo cache as part of an event that included a Wherigo seminar. Because I didn't want people running for FTF, I made it clear there would be no FTF for that cache. It was for educational purposes and I wanted everyone to enjoy the cartridge and not worry about who got there first.

I don't understand. So you're saying you don't want anybody to be FTF on your cache? Somebody has to be first to find it, so I assume you must mean that you want nobody to search for it. Why would you go through the trouble of making a cache, especially one that involves a lot of work like a Wherigo if you don't want anybody to look for it?

What if somebody does happen to look for it, finds it first, and therefore is the FTF? What will you do then? Archive the listing? That would be too bad, as I'm sure lots of people would like to find the cache if you would just let them.

But good luck anyway with preventing a first finder of your cache! Hopefully it's really hard so nobody sees it.

:D:D:D

You completely missed the point. The cache was put out for an event that included a Wherigo seminar. At the end of the seminar 30+ people went out to play the cartridge, find the cache and get some exposure to Wherigo's.

None of this was done to discourage people from finding the cache. Quite the contrary.

I recently put out a Wherigo cache as part of an event that included a Wherigo seminar. Because I didn't want people running for FTF, I made it clear there would be no FTF for that cache. It was for educational purposes and I wanted everyone to enjoy the cartridge and not worry about who got there first.

that's just silly.

all you're doing is preventing people from proclaiming themselves FTF in the log.

unless you live in an alternate universe, SOMEBODY will find that cache first.

You are right but it prevented a couple of guys from running through the cache. The intent was to allow people without Wherigo players accompany those with a player and get some exposure to Wherigo's. Instead, everyone took their time and passed around the players to see what it was like. A group of about 27 found it all at the same time.

Silly??? That is your opinion. It did what I wanted it to do.

Nah, the only "silly" thing there was cachers not running through it just because there was no FTF. I saw that one when it was published, if I lived closer, I'd probably have run it and then helped out at the event.

I've seen some really stupid thing done just so someone can say "I got the FTF" including parking on the side of an expressway after dark.

that's just silly.

all you're doing is preventing people from proclaiming themselves FTF in the log.

You are right but it prevented a couple of guys from running through the cache. The intent was to allow people without Wherigo players accompany those with a player and get some exposure to Wherigo's. Instead, everyone took their time and passed around the players to see what it was like. A group of about 27 found it all at the same time.

Nah, the only "silly" thing there was cachers not running through it just because there was no FTF. I saw that one when it was published, if I lived closer, I'd probably have run it and then helped out at the event.

I've seen some really stupid thing done just so someone can say "I got the FTF" including parking on the side of an expressway after dark.

I think you have to greet crazy with crazy. It looks to me that the honor of last to find was left wide open.

Funny you should mention it, but I've dreaded being LTF for any cache since I started playing the game. It suggests that I might have improperly rehid it or failed in my stealth and led to its being muggled subsequently.

Anyway, back on topic, I think it's a silly requirement as well, and would love to hear an explanation. But it's not going to stop me from enjoying the game my way. I'm also puzzled why the CO didn't just sign the designated FTF cacher's name in the log before hiding it in the first place. It seems to me equally dishonest.

that's just silly.

Silly. The first person to find it is first to find. Doesn't matter what silly or stupid rules are imposed. It is just a physical fact. The first to find it is first. The second to find it is second. The third to find it is third. Only way it can be any different is if one of those persons is in fact a team.

that's just silly.

Silly. The first person to find it is first to find. Doesn't matter what silly or stupid rules are imposed. It is just a physical fact. The first to find it is first. The second to find it is second. The third to find it is third. Only way it can be any different is if one of those persons is in fact a team.

OK. What I told them was that no one could claim FTF in their logs. Does that make you feel better?

OK. What I told them was that no one could claim FTF in their logs. Does that make you feel better?

it's still goofy.

i almost never claim FTF in my logs, and yet i always know that i was there first.

you cannot change by fiat what is the simple truth: somebody was the first finder. somebody is doing a happy dance and adjusting their GSAK database whether you like it or not. somebody is putting a notch in their belt and laughing behind their sleeve.

imagine:

"no, there's no first finder on that cache. what? oh. no, it's been found dozens of times. nobody was first, that's all. yep, it's a real temporal anomaly."

it's still goofy.

i almost never claim FTF in my logs, and yet i always know that i was there first.

you cannot change by fiat what is the simple truth: somebody was the first finder. somebody is doing a happy dance and adjusting their GSAK database whether you like it or not. somebody is putting a notch in their belt and laughing behind their sleeve.

imagine:

"no, there's no first finder on that cache. what? oh. no, it's been found dozens of times. nobody was first, that's all. yep, it's a real temporal anomaly."

Give it a rest.

Give it a rest.

hey, if you're gonna come in here and show off your latest goofy idea, you've got to expect that people will tell you what they think.

and when you try to explain it to them on the premise they didn't understand it very well, you might expect that they'll tell you they understood it perfectly and give further example why it's goofy.

if you still like your idea even though it flies in the face of reality, that's your business and even quite charming. the world loves dreamers and tilters-at-windmills.

me, i love fodder for comedy.

this is funny stuff.

Give it a rest.

hey, if you're gonna come in here and show off your latest goofy idea, you've got to expect that people will tell you what they think.

and when you try to explain it to them on the premise they didn't understand it very well, you might expect that they'll tell you they understood it perfectly and give further example why it's goofy.

if you still like your idea even though it flies in the face of reality, that's your business and even quite charming. the world loves dreamers and tilters-at-windmills.

me, i love fodder for comedy.

this is funny stuff.

LOL