Central New York Geocachers - help needed

Two Wheelers

I am a member of the Great Swamp Conservancy in Canastota NY.

Some time ago, I placed a cache there, partly in hopes of drawing attention to the place. My cache has had a number of hits and the place has received some good feedback, so it's worked the way I'd hoped at least a little.

The Conservancy is quite pleased. In fact, they've asked me to do an informational table at their Spring Migration Festival. I agreed. In addition to the informational booth, I would like to have a few "demonstration" caches that folks can find, under the guidance of an experienced geocacher, including a "kiddie cache" for the little ones.

Now here's where you come in: It would be nice to have more than one person there, so that folks don't have to to wait as long to try geocaching. Multiple brands/models of GPSers would be nice too. I am also looking for any other ideas you may have.

Thanks, in advance!

I am a member of the Great Swamp Conservancy in Canastota NY.

Some time ago, I placed a cache there, partly in hopes of drawing attention to the place. My cache has had a number of hits and the place has received some good feedback, so it's worked the way I'd hoped at least a little.

The Conservancy is quite pleased. In fact, they've asked me to do an informational table at their Spring Migration Festival. I agreed. In addition to the informational booth, I would like to have a few "demonstration" caches that folks can find, under the guidance of an experienced geocacher, including a "kiddie cache" for the little ones.

Now here's where you come in: It would be nice to have more than one person there, so that folks don't have to to wait as long to try geocaching. Multiple brands/models of GPSers would be nice too. I am also looking for any other ideas you may have.

Thanks, in advance!

I would suggest working with the local geocaching group to make an Event Cache for day. This way you can ensure good geocacher turnout and perhaps leverage the local geocachers to help with the demonstration table.

Polskikrol's suggestion is very solid. Around here, your situation -- having a table set up at a festival to introduce muggles to geocaching -- happens frequently enough that a name for it has entered our parlance: Geocaching 101. For example...

Essex County, NJ

Sussex County, NJ

...and so on and so forth. If you list it, they will come. You'll get an even better turnout if you go four or five days early to hide a few caches to be listed on the site as actual findable ones, in addition to the 'unofficial' event hides; more caches in close proximity to the event makes it more attractive to many potential attendees.

I would suggest working with the local geocaching group to make an Event Cache for day. This way you can ensure good geocacher turnout and perhaps leverage the local geocachers to help with the demonstration table.

Yep, I would recommend this approach as well. Unfortunately there isn't really a geocaching organization that represents your area. GeoRoc is probably your best bet. You could also try NYGO which represents all of New York, but I think I've seen someone from the Syracuse area post something only a handful of times.

Good luck!

Canastota NY is not far from Syracuse, but still close enough for folks from Rome/Utica area even Albany (NYCRG) would help out more so then NYGO (Buffalo) and GeoRoc (Rochester) would.

Let me know when this is and I may be able to come over and help out. Since I'm only in Herkimer. B)

Not sure if your event happened already, but I'll put my two cents in... Central Jersey Geocachers had a table at a Monmouth County Outdoor Expo last year that was well received. I had made a fold-out display board with the title "EVER GEOCACHE?" (you know the cardboard displays kids use at the science fair) with different info from gc.com such as different types of caches (traditional, virtual...), pictures of different cache containers from normal to a couple unique plus different sizes, explanations of travel bugs,... I can send you a picture of the board to give you ideas.... On the table for the people to see were about 10 different cach-tainers from ammo cans to bison tubes and lock-n-locks... we had some TB's to show (however we taped their chains to my over-sized ammo can so that they didn't 'walk away') ... we had a couple different GPS units (again secured to the table) plus we had flyers printed up explaining our sport and we also had a couple real caches to be found. We had decided not to make it an official geocache event, just an 'inform the public day'... but after reading the posts here I can see the good in that.