PN-40, internal VS external memory

kelnic

Hello,

Ok, now I'm looking at the Delorme PN-40 because I am real impressed with the map options and it seems like a better value. However, as has been mentioned in other forums, you can go online and buy one for about $320, but it comes with 500MB of internal memory versus if you buy it directly from Delorme, it comes with either 1GB or 8GB of memory. So, am I better off going with the reduced option online and just buying the external 8GB or 16GN cards or would I be happier with the larger amount of internal memory? I would hate to buy the cheaper one then realize it made a big difference with the larger internal memory. Any feedback is really appreciated!

Thanks, Jon

Hello,

Ok, now I'm looking at the Delorme PN-40 because I am real impressed with the map options and it seems like a better value. However, as has been mentioned in other forums, you can go online and buy one for about $320, but it comes with 500MB of internal memory versus if you buy it directly from Delorme, it comes with either 1GB or 8GB of memory. So, am I better off going with the reduced option online and just buying the external 8GB or 16GN cards or would I be happier with the larger amount of internal memory? I would hate to buy the cheaper one then realize it made a big difference with the larger internal memory. Any feedback is really appreciated!

Thanks, Jon

I'd check out the Delorme Forums ,as this has been discussed a bit over there. The main concern with not having the extra internal memory is that the external memory card holder seems a bit fragile, so having to put cards in and out all the time might be a concern. It's also located under the battery compartment, which means you have to unscrew the cover and then take out the batteries, replace the card, re-insert the batteries, and screw the cover back on. If that doesn't bother you, then I'd go for the less expensive model. It's really just a matter of convenience. You can find 16GB cards these days for not too bad a price.

Well, the 1g offered at DeLorme is $400, the 500mb is $319 at Amazon...if the extra 500mb matters, grab the 1g.

However, I didn't see the SD cardholder to be weak or a problem to get to. Nor do i think you'll have need to change it very often unless you really travel and then you could always buy a 32g SD card and won't even notice the lacking 500mb.

I loaded ALL of Michigan, 600 caches and a few aerial views on my 1g card (provided with unit) without problem, I wonder how much more room there is!

Well, the 1g offered at DeLorme is $400, the 500mb is $319 at Amazon...if the extra 500mb matters, grab the 1g.

However, I didn't see the SD cardholder to be weak or a problem to get to. Nor do i think you'll have need to change it very often unless you really travel and then you could always buy a 32g SD card and won't even notice the lacking 500mb.

Those two units are the same unit. The 1Gb at Delorme has 500mb usable by the user, the other 500mb is used by the OS. Delorme just listed all the memory in the device and Amazon is listing the available memory. The real difference is between the SE (8gb) and the standard unit(1gb). I have the non-SE version and i really enjoy it. The 8gb would have been nice to have, but for the $$, i just got a few 16gb sd cards and was done with it.

Those two units are the same unit. The 1Gb at Delorme has 500mb usable by the user, the other 500mb is used by the OS. Delorme just listed all the memory in the device and Amazon is listing the available memory. The real difference is between the SE (8gb) and the standard unit(1gb). I have the non-SE version and i really enjoy it. The 8gb would have been nice to have, but for the $$, i just got a few 16gb sd cards and was done with it.

I wondered about this! I couldn't figure out why DeLorme would make a few different models of the same unit, but the descriptions all seemed to point that way!

I looked, the 32g card is about $75 right now, so you'd be saving a bit....the SE package (for about $550) comes with the Li-Ion battery pack, car charger, and it seems like something else (but can't think of it right off-hand). It seems to me, you could buy your own car charger and Li-Ion batteries and be ahead of the game, but it's mostly about preference here!!

I bought a PN-40 a few weeks ago ... have a 16GB card on the way from Amazon for $29.99 even though the 1GB card it came with is nowhere near full ... have the nearest 500 caches and lots of the aerial imagery near home on it.

While there may be some speed advantage to having the internal memory I suspect it would only be noticeable to serious power users. This thing is plenty fast and I am very happy with it.

FWIW, the speed difference between internal and external memory on the PN-20 is substantial, on the PN-40 it's slight if anything...not really noticable IMO. Although the SD holder is fragile, if you're careful it shouldn't be too much of a concern--and it's faster transferring large files to the SD card in a reader than the card in the GPS or internal memory itself.

-and it's faster transferring large files to the SD card in a reader than the card in the GPS or internal memory itself.

Unless you miss the card reader slot and stick the card in the floppy drive slot and have to eat a popsicle to get the stick to put the sticky tape on to go fishing for a little bitty thing in a dark dark hole. :laughing:

I never leave home without the Travel Kit. I use the included Li-Ion rechargeable battery pack exclusively and keep it charged from the 12VDC accessory jack as I drive around. Consequently, I would advise buying that as a separate item if you choose the standard PN-40 over the SE. With that $50 as a consideration the over and above for the extra 7GB that the SE provides is not so much.

Regarding the advice above on alternate source components, the Travel Kit includes a two piece cable. One of the pieces is an 8-pin to mini-USB adapter that cannot be aquired elsewhere. With the two piece cable, the battery pack can be recharged while installed in the PN-XX with the ON OFF, whereas with the standard one piece cable included with the PN-XX, such recharging can be accomplished only with the PN-XX ON.

I never leave home without the Travel Kit. I use the included Li-Ion rechargeable battery pack exclusively and keep it charged from the 12VDC accessory jack as I drive around. Consequently, I would advise buying that as a separate item if you choose the standard PN-40 over the SE. With that $50 as a consideration the over and above for the extra 7GB that the SE provides is not so much.

Regarding the advice above on alternate source components, the Travel Kit includes a two piece cable. One of the pieces is an 8-pin to mini-USB adapter that cannot be aquired elsewhere. With the two piece cable, the battery pack can be recharged while installed in the PN-XX with the ON OFF, whereas with the standard one piece cable included with the PN-XX, such recharging can be accomplished only with the PN-XX ON.

Mine must be broken. It recharges while On or Off.

........ whereas with the standard one piece cable included with the PN-XX, such recharging can be accomplished only with the PN-XX ON.

I think the charging in the "off state" using the one-piece cable was changed to "capable" in the

2.4 firmware, but I'm not sure. And the 2.3 doesn't seem avail. for retrograde comparison.

Norm

My statement is a holdover from the PN-20 introduction era. It may not be true for the PN-40 due to firmware, internal hardware design or updated one piece cables that function as the two piece in that regard.

I'm not sure, guess I'll check with my -40 also.

........ whereas with the standard one piece cable included with the PN-XX, such recharging can be accomplished only with the PN-XX ON.

I think the charging in the "off state" using the one-piece cable was changed to "capable" in the

2.4 firmware, but I'm not sure. And the 2.3 doesn't seem avail. for retrograde comparison.

Norm

My statement is a holdover from the PN-20 introduction era. It may not be true for the PN-40 due to firmware, internal hardware design or updated one piece cables that function as the two piece in that regard.

OK, I check that out last night and this morning.

1. I ran my PN-40 down to an indicated 10% remaining.

2. Turned it OFF and left it connected to an always ON 12VDC source with a one piece, standard cable.

3. During the overnight charge attempt, the faint charging indication was not displayed.

4. Upon rebooting the remaining charge was still indicated as 10%.

5. Repeated 2. and 3. (but for a 3 hour recharge period) with a 2nd one piece cable.

6. Same result as noted in 4.

Neither of the one piece cables in my possession support charging of the Li-Ion battery pack with the PN-40 in the OFF state.

TL, how can I break my cables so they work like yours? :laughing:

Norm

2. Turned it OFF and left it connected to an always ON 12VDC source with a one piece, standard cable.

3. During the overnight charge attempt, the faint charging indication was not displayed.

5. Repeated 2. and 3. (but for a 3 hour recharge period) with a 2nd one piece cable.

Neither of the one piece cables in my possession support charging of the Li-Ion battery pack with the PN-40 in the OFF state.

I turn it on after I hook it up to the system, then I turn it off. I get the faint display of an active recharge ocurring. Thought that was normal status quo.

Norm

I turn it on after I hook it up to the system, then I turn it off. I get the faint display of an active recharge ocurring. Thought that was normal status quo.

I was under the impression that to start the charging with the unit off that one needs to press the ON button quickly. You then see faintly the wording Charging Complete then a few seconds later, the flashing Charging message occurs.

Norm

I was under the impression that to start the charging with the unit off that one needs to press the ON button quickly. You then see faintly the wording Charging Complete then a few seconds later, the flashing Charging message occurs.

Frankly, I didn't know any better. That's just how I did it because I was working with the PN-40 and Topo7.