Garmin 500

wazap

The Nuvi 500 appears to address many of the issues that make most automotive GPS units inappropriate for geocaching. In most instances they aren't waterproof or durable enough for geocaching and the battery life is

not acceptable for serious geocaching. Also they do not have a compass navigation screen

The 500 claims to be both waterproof and rugged, has user replaceable batteries (though not easily available AAs) and has a compass screen, so it is definitely a decent choice for geocaching.

The only downside I can see is that it's not ergonomically designed to be held in the hand. It's like walking around with a picture frame in your hand, rather than a remote control (as a hand held would).

Overall it will do everything you want it to do, so I think it's a good choice for you. As far as handheld units go, the Map76csx will also accomplish what you need it to, but is more oriented for outdoor use and might be a more cost effective option.

Has anyone used the Garmin nuvi 500?, it is new and I would like to use it in my boat, rv, and caching.

If you go to the Geocaching Australia forums (www.geocaching.com.au), and find a Queensland member by the name of OMY130, I know he has one. I intend getting one, as it is waterproof, and is set up from the factory with geocaching in mind. Will be excellent on the bike.

Hello, I have a Nuvi 500. This is my first GPS, so i can't compare it to anything. I will say that is does a good job on the road and so far i have found 25 caches with it. I have also used it in the rain with no problems. The battery life is OK i would say. I plug it back in each time i return to my truck. Also it is better at finding the caches than i am. It has always been dead on, even though i have not been clever enough to figure out what i was looking for some of the time. That being said, i am in the market for a handheld more because i want one, rather than the Nuvi 500 will not do what i want it to do. If you have anymore questions please feel free to send me an email. I hope this helps.

I have a nuvi 500 myself and although it has given me some headaches it is a good unit. In the woods it has a hard time tracking while you walk, its almost like you have to run to let it know your moving. I have found a lot of caches with it and I know now what caches I also need to bring the hand held for. As far as everything else it is awesome, it makes the park and grabs a breeze. I put a micro sd card in it a it can hold thousands of caches

Can someone tell me how to delete the Caches under the Geocache menu on the Garmin 500? I know you can delete the favorites. I have even tried moving the cache listings to the favorites , then delete there. But they still show up under the Geocache menu. Some of the listings are old ones and I don't need anymore. Do they just stay in forever? Whether marked Found, Not Found, etc?

I have even hooked the Garmin 500 to my computer (Mac) and emptied the GPX folder, but when I unhook it from the computer and turn on the GPS, the listings are still there. Is this even the correct folder?????

How many caches can you upload into the Garmin Nuvi 500 anyway? (where they show up under the Geocaching icon.

I use the Geocaching.com page and download each cache - one by one - in the area I will be going. I haven't figure out how to download a route to show all the caches along that route. I want to be able to read all of the descriptions, logs, hints, etc. So downloading one at a time seems to do this. There has to be an easier way.

I found that waypoints (or atleast the way I have done it) does not give me those options.

I am really confused about what and how I should be doing this. I think I'm making this harder than it is. :D

TIA - A real newbie!

Can someone tell me how to delete the Caches under the Geocache menu on the Garmin 500? I know you can delete the favorites. I have even tried moving the cache listings to the favorites , then delete there. But they still show up under the Geocache menu. Some of the listings are old ones and I don't need anymore. Do they just stay in forever? Whether marked Found, Not Found, etc?

I have even hooked the Garmin 500 to my computer (Mac) and emptied the GPX folder, but when I unhook it from the computer and turn on the GPS, the listings are still there. Is this even the correct folder?????

How many caches can you upload into the Garmin Nuvi 500 anyway? (where they show up under the Geocaching icon.

I use the Geocaching.com page and download each cache - one by one - in the area I will be going. I haven't figure out how to download a route to show all the caches along that route. I want to be able to read all of the descriptions, logs, hints, etc. So downloading one at a time seems to do this. There has to be an easier way.

I found that waypoints (or atleast the way I have done it) does not give me those options.

I am really confused about what and how I should be doing this. I think I'm making this harder than it is. :D

TIA - A real newbie!

Check out this thread,

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193374

This link will allow you to load thousands of geocaches as POI's with all the web page info also

Edit to add: you delete the geocaches in the geocache folder by hooking up to your computer and deleting the files By clicking on MY Computer, garmin drive , gpx folder, geocaching folder. This is on PC running Xp. If I remember right someone in another thread said that on a Mac you have to empty the trash folder before you disconnect the gps in order to delete the files on the gps.

I believe that the geocaching folder on the Nuvi 500 will hold 500 geocaches You can load them quite easely by running a PQ Either along a route or just by zip code. When the PQ arrives in your e-mail just drag and drop it into the same gpx folder i mentioned above. Remember that the file comes zipped so you will need to unzip at some point. On my unit I drag and drop then right click and there is a command to extract.

Edited by snowball 58

Duh, never thought about emptying the trash. That makes sense. I have been trying to do this for over a week!

The route thing will so much easier. I wasn't too sure about the PQ - didn't know where to put it. I thought I might have to have some kind of other program to read the info before l uploaded it to the Garmin.

I will give it try now. THANKS SO MUCH

I have a nuvi 500 myself and although it has given me some headaches it is a good unit. In the woods it has a hard time tracking while you walk, its almost like you have to run to let it know your moving. I have found a lot of caches with it and I know now what caches I also need to bring the hand held for. As far as everything else it is awesome, it makes the park and grabs a breeze. I put a micro sd card in it a it can hold thousands of caches

Is the compass in the 500 an electronic compass or does it work off the satalites. In other words do you have to be moving for it to work?

Thanks