Activation question

TEAM HARTSOCK

Well, I bought 4 unactivated geocoins from ebay in the last couple of months from different sellers. 2 came with activation codes and 2 did not. I had just planned on keeping them for my personal collection and not activating them until I went to the Cetnral PA MidWinters Blahs Cache Event 3 and saw all the sharing and discovering going on.

So I would like to activate the coins to take and share at the next one. So how do I get those activation codes for the other coins? The two that have the codes have the papers where they are from, but the other two are just in plastic covers. So what's my next move?

As I am writing this a thought occurred to me that I probably should check and see that those other two coins are truly unactivated....never know with ebay....

Right now I am having trouble with one of the ones that did have the paper with it. When I got the code and tried to activate it, the geocaching.com page won't advance past the first step. The other coin I just did worked fine.

The other two are a 2006 DNF smiley and a 2006 Geocaching: Not Another Mircro...those I am still trying to find out where they are from. They aren't from Oakcoins like the other two.

Right now I am having trouble with one of the ones that did have the paper with it. When I got the code and tried to activate it, the geocaching.com page won't advance past the first step. The other coin I just did worked fine.

The other two are a 2006 DNF smiley and a 2006 Geocaching: Not Another Mircro...those I am still trying to find out where they are from. They aren't from Oakcoins like the other two.

The not another micro should be oakcoins (http://www.oakcoins.com/activate/num.htm), the DNF I did not think was trackable...does it have a 6 digit code on it or just a 3 digit serial number?

The not another micro should be oakcoins (http://www.oakcoins.com/activate/num.htm), the DNF I did not think was trackable...does it have a 6 digit code on it or just a 3 digit serial number?

Didn't see the not another micro listed at oakcoins...will look there again.

As I got looking at the DNF I see the tracking code on it starts with DNF and then a 3 digit number, so I guess that would probably bee a 3 digit serial number unless they had special tracking codes where they all started with DNF.

As I got looking at the DNF I see the tracking code on it starts with DNF and then a 3 digit number, so I guess that would probably bee a 3 digit serial number unless they had special tracking codes where they all started with DNF.

The first DNF coins (2006) were not trackable. The code you see is just the number in the series, DNF123 = 123rd coin made. The first coin in the Not Another Micro series was not trackable as well. Both coins (DNF and NAM) were made trackable in later versions. All were made at Oakcoins though. I think the 2005 NAM was non trackable, and the 2006 coins were. The DNF coins were made trackable in 2008.

TMA

** edit to add, Not Another Micro is the LAST coin on the page, way out of alphabetical order. That's why it didn't appear to be there.

Edited by The Moop Along

The first DNF coins (2006) were not trackable. The code you see is just the number in the series, DNF123 = 123rd coin made. The first coin in the Not Another Micro series was not trackable as well. Both coins (DNF and NAM) were made trackable in later versions. All were made at Oakcoins though. I think the 2005 NAM was non trackable, and the 2006 coins were. The DNF coins were made trackable in 2008.

TMA

** edit to add, Not Another Micro is the LAST coin on the page, way out of alphabetical order. That's why it didn't appear to be there.

Thanks to all for the help so far. Here is what I have determined:

the other two are activated now, don't know what the glitch was with the suncacther one, but it went through when I logged out and came back on the site.

The DNF is not trackable, which would explain why the seller could certainly state that it wasn't activated...

The Not Another Mirco one will not activate. It has a tracking code on it and states trackable right on the coin. It is also numbered in a series but that is seperate from the tracking code. However, when I try to retrive the activation code from oakcoins, it tells me that it cannot give it to me due to either the code being wrong or the activation code has already been retrived. If I search for the tracking code at GC.com, it tells me no such trackable exists. So I gather that the coin's activation code had been retrived by the original owner, but never activated. I am trying to contact the ebay seller, but MyEbay isn't showing the list of items that I bought that far back and I can't find who the seller was. So, now I am trying to see if I can get that code from Oakcoins somehow. I did find something interesting though. The reason that I didn't see it listed at the site was because it is grouped at the bottom of the list with a handful of other coins that are not put in with the rest that are in alpahbetical order. That makes me wonder if there is something else going on.

Nothing sneaky about the NAM coin. It's most likely what you described. the original owner pulled the code, but never activated it. Just contact the support email for Oakcoins, and they'll work with you to get the code.

TMA

Thanks, didn't mean there was anything sneaky, just thought maybe for one reason or another that since it wasn't listed with the rest that there might be other circumtances with the coin.

Sent off email to Oakcoins, and also to eBay seller. Found him by going through my feedback.

Thanks for all the help!!

If I'm not mistaken the NAM have a sequential number at the end of the tracking number, that's why it's listed separately from the others. To activate only include the initial 6 characters and skip the final 3 numbers that follow the hiphen.

If the activation code was pulled from the database take a pic of the coin showing it's tracking code clearly and send it to the vendour (oakcoins in this case). They tend to get busy so don't expect an immediate response.

Thanks...I already sent Oakcoins off an email and I did hear from the seller today. He was actually very helpful, however, he states he bought it new and that he never got the activation code for it. I have no reason not to believe him, so I am not at the mercy of Oakcoins and will wait to see what they have to say.

I've always had good luck by just doing a Google search by the Coin's name+Activation, and there has usually been a link near the top to the right place.

Oakcoins is the right place, they just don't recognize the tracking code on the coin. I tried the Google thing, but can't come up with anything that lists the activation code.

I've always had good luck by just doing a Google search by the Coin's name+Activation, and there has usually been a link near the top to the right place.

Oakcoins is the right place, they just don't recognize the tracking code on the coin. I tried the Google thing, but can't come up with anything that lists the activation code.

somebody else mentioned check the tracking code number carefully, zeros look like "o's" ones look like "i's", twos look like "z's", and eights look like "b's"

ILYK

somebody else mentioned check the tracking code number carefully, zeros look like "o's" ones look like "i's", twos look like "z's", and eights look like "b's"

ILYK

Thanks, but that isn't the case. All the numbers and letters are unmistakeable with the exception of the "Q" I thought that it might have been an "O" with a scratch, but not the case. But Oakcoins got the me code in the meantime, so I am off to activate it now.