Warning - Be Careful while Geocaching. Know what you pick up

ltblarg

Today I was doing some geocaching. One of the caches required me to walk .2 of a mile on a known walking trail. While walking towards the cache point I spotted an object in the trail. In the middle of the 20 foot wide trail was a yellow tupperware container with the lid off. Sitting on the lid was a cylinder wrapped in black duct tape. The cylinder was about 3 inches long and 1 inch thick. At the end of the cylinder a cigarette had been placed and it had burnt all the way down to the filter.

I went on to the cache... Found the cache then went to another one. Then I got thinking... I better do something. So I called law enforcement. Well, a few hours later and a Captain from the bomb squad showed up. When I left he had called in the bomb trailer. I suspect they will use the robot to shoot it.

I may never know what happens, but I believe I did the correct thing. It could be a prank, or it could be the real thing. Whatever it is, I am pretty sure it wasn't a geocache.

Please be careful and don't pick up things that look suspicious. I now know how a muggle would feel spotting a suspicious object out in the field. Please mark your geocaches. In fact the ammo can I found near there had geocache written on it, but it was face down and the Military ammo information was face up. I reversed it.

Please be careful...

Today I was doing some geocaching. One of the caches required me to walk .2 of a mile on a known walking trail. While walking towards the cache point I spotted an object in the trail. In the middle of the 20 foot wide trail was a yellow tupperware container with the lid off. Sitting on the lid was a cylinder wrapped in black duct tape. The cylinder was about 3 inches long and 1 inch thick. At the end of the cylinder a cigarette had been placed and it had burnt all the way down to the filter.

I went on to the cache... Found the cache then went to another one. Then I got thinking... I better do something. So I called law enforcement. Well, a few hours later and a Captain from the bomb squad showed up. When I left he had called in the bomb trailer. I suspect they will use the robot to shoot it.

I may never know what happens, but I believe I did the correct thing. It could be a prank, or it could be the real thing. Whatever it is, I am pretty sure it wasn't a geocache.

Please be careful and don't pick up things that look suspicious. I now know how a muggle would feel spotting a suspicious object out in the field. Please mark your geocaches. In fact the ammo can I found near there had geocache written on it, but it was face down and the Military ammo information was face up. I reversed it.

Please be careful...

A few hours later????? They should have been there INSTANTLY.

I was caching with a friend when she found what appeared to be a hand grenade. Within 5 minutes of my call to 911, I had two bomb squad techs, a K9 unit and a SGT. Turned out to be a fake but they took it very seriously.

I am surprised at your slow response.

If I never touched anything suspicious while Geocaching - I might well never find the cache I am looking for......

No matter how they are labeled, marked or type of container - several recent threads indicate that the bomb squad is going to blow it apart if they are called.

(.....but your point is taken......)

I was caching with a friend when she found what appeared to be a hand grenade. Within 5 minutes of my call to 911, I had two bomb squad techs, a K9 unit and a SGT. Turned out to be a fake but they took it very seriously.

I figured it would have gotten a faster result. But, I guess because it was out in the country and no lives were in immediate danger, it wasn't a priority. They called me back twice to tell me they had another call to run.

The Captain that showed up was called in from off-duty. Once he looked at it he called one of the other technicians and told him the exact same thing I told the dispatcher. But, I understand, they want to send one officer to check it out instead of calling the whole team in without someone checking it out.

I hope it was nothing, but it made me think twice. I will make sure what I am touching IS a geocache.

Please be careful...

Where I live, and work in Law Enforcement, the closest bomb squad is from a city an hour south of us. Or we can call the state police. Either way, you are looking at a a couple hours response time no matter what.

The response time doesn't really surprise me.

Please be careful...

Where I live, and work in Law Enforcement, the closest bomb squad is from a city an hour south of us. Or we can call the state police. Either way, you are looking at a a couple hours response time no matter what.

The response time doesn't really surprise me.

Perhaps to get a bomb tech on site. But wouldn't a patrol officer or twelve be there to keep people away from the area? If not I'll be sure to commit any crimes I may be tempted to commit in your town.

At the end of the cylinder a cigarette had been placed and it had burnt all the way down to the filter.

They're doing it wrong. :lol:;):lol:

Thank you for the lesson in improvised fuses. ;):P:(

When I was a kid we used to light packs of firecrackers off using cigarettes as delay fuses. Someone would have to be a real bonehead to leave the filter on.

Please be careful...

It probably was someone micro. Film at 11.

Jim

In a semi-related story is seems that some cachers are having luck with their local bomb squad:

Bomb squad reaches agreement with geocachers

Great stuff, I hope that such agreements and collaboration will be reached in more places.

One thing that I would suggest be added to the methodology is that the iPhone, Blackberry and many more smart-phones with an internal GPS can use Trimble Geocache Navigator to pull up a list of caches in the area. If you have cell coverage you can connect and see in less than a minute any listed caches around you. Just because a cache is supposed to be there won't mean that the container is safe, but it will go a long way towards helping LEOs know what they are dealing with.

[qoute]

I love how some people think that you dial 911 and a cop just magically appears instantly. Where I grew up in a town of less than 1200 people the nearest Law Enforcement was 35 miles away. Dont even ask about a BOMB SQUAD, there wasn't even a bomb squad at that time. Some people who live in the big cities seem to forget this.