looking for caching gps/ hunting as well

I am looking at getting a good gps for hunting and fishing and caching. I am currently borrowing a garmin etrex from my dad. I like it it has been really accurate and is easy to zero in. I have used my father inlaws lowrance a few times i like that one because of the mapping software. I am borrowing a buddies magellan 1500. I am leaning towards waiting for the new lowrances to come out with the touch screen any ideas on what i should stay away from?? All input is much appreciated.

Thanks and happy caching

Matt

Had an old etrex yellow. Upgraded to vista hcx few months ago. Love it ! User friendly, accurate, keeps signal while being carried in pocket, great price for what you get. I hunt more than i cash and it works great for me. Just wish it would run aerial imagery. If moneys no option, the pn-40 seems pretty sweet . Not sure about the oregon or colorados.

The DeLorme PN-40 would be a great choice. It is made for the outdoors. The 40 comes with maps right out of the box so there is nothing else to buy. It also comes with a certificate for $40 worth of aerial/USGS maps to download and sample. These aerial images are great for hunting to see all the tree lines, fields etc.

what do you guys know about the magellan 1500 adventure pack my buddy says they are on sale at walmart for 199.99 regularly 449.99?

I don't own the 1500 but I've read a number of reviews which have given it a poor rating, mainly due to software/firmware problems. I've also heard a number of horror stories about Magellan's customer service. Magellan was recently purchased by the company that sells the Mio and Navman brands so I'm not sure what the future holds for them. These are all likely reasons for the steep price discounts.

I own a garmin 60csx and a new Delorme PN-40. The 60 csx is now my backup unit. If you've got the money I recommend the PN-40. If your looking for something under $200 I recommend the PN-20.

Edited by Pax42

Since you mentioned fishing, you might also want to consider a unit that floats, not just water resistant/repellant. The Garmin Map 76 CSx is essentially the same as the 60 Series in a different case, and usually priced a bit cheaper than the 60s. Cheers

I'm not a hunter, but those who have discussed their use of the PN-40 for hunting on the Delorme users forum have been enthusiastic about its use for that purpose. They like the ability to switch between the Topo7 data and the more detailed USGS quads that can be downloaded through the $30 annual subscription that allows unlimited imagery downloads.

As for fishing, the subscription includes NOAA charts for coastal and major inland waterways, but Delorme currently doesn't have anything additional for inland lakes. Garmin has several different lake map packages that might suit your needs well. Delorme has said they're working on making lake data available, but it will be at least a while. The USGS quads are pretty good for surface depictions, but don't offer any depth contours.