Script for generating geocoin map

StuBroyles

I can't say that I'm 100% sure of what you are asking for, but make sure that you have read the Terms of Use of this site.

You may run afoul of this section:

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (:yikes: interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site.

Would you want the script to generate a map with all the geocoins at a certain location or just a specific geocoins of your choice plotted on a map?

I would want to plot my Geocoins that I have out there in the world. Either on a single combination map, or individual ones for each coin.

I can't say that I'm 100% sure of what you are asking for, but make sure that you have read the Terms of Use of this site.

You may run afoul of this section:

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (;) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site.

This wouldn't be an automated system, but rather an on-demand request from my website to the Geocaching site. I would provide links to the coins individual sites on Geocaching.com. We are talking on the order of probably only 100 hits a month. Seems like a reasonable use that would not run afoul of the TOU above.

With Premium Membership you can write a Pocket Query to search for caches with Trackables, weed out the ones that don't show coins and map it. Voila'... not as easy as readily available code.

Could I write a php script that could run the pockey query would be the question. I am not certain I could do that without knowing more details about the calls a pockey query runs.

This wouldn't be an automated system, but rather an on-demand request from my website to the Geocaching site. I would provide links to the coins individual sites on Geocaching.com. We are talking on the order of probably only 100 hits a month. Seems like a reasonable use that would not run afoul of the TOU above.

I believe that ANY automated access (spidering, scripts, etc) to the data on the site would be a violation of the TOU unless express permission is granted by Groundspeak.

One MUST be logged-in to geocaching.com in order to see any maps with caches on them. So your desire to have an on-demand map for your travel bug and the caches it's been through would only work for geocaching.com users who are logged in. It's a very simple url link.

You can capture the map as it exists right now and post that to your hearts content, but you will have to update that with every movement.

Edited by trainlove