Delorme user weighing benefits of premium membership

Momof4under10

Hey all. Just got my Delorme pn 20 set up to download loc files. Now I'm a little dissappointed because the paperless caching experience i was coveting is not coming to fruition. Loc only downloads coords no descriptions or files. So I read up and I guess what I am really after is GPX files. My question is does the pn 20 support these files? I don't want to pay for the membership and then find out that it still won't work. Do i use the same method as the Loc files and just choose gpx as file type or is there another method? Also does anyone know how I can create routes between my geocaches using my pc. i know how to do it using the hand held but i thought it would be good to do it using topo. I've tried the route feature but it will only allow me to put in actual addresses not waypoints. While i have you, does anyone know when the geocache upgrades are supposed to be available? I'm really looking forward to these. Thanks so much for the help.

let's start with this: get the premium membership. PQs are awesome and worth the $30.

i also recommend GSAK, which is also cheap.

I second that. I couldn't survive without my PQ's and GSAK. Makes life much easier, it's so much more organized and faster to put everything together when you get it down.

Yes go premium and get the gpx files and import into topo 7 then send to the pn -20 or 40 works great and not to bad of a process. Also go visit for additonal info.

http://forum.delorme.com/

GSAK while it is nice is not a got to have if that is all you are doing..I use it to keep straight my html files and other info.

Did you know you don't have to import, simply click on the opened and unzipped PQ and drag it to the maps? In other words, while having the maps in the background and the PQ unzipped, just click and hold on the PQ, then drag it to the maps. It'll automatically load the info for you. You them export the info to your GPS!

Not sure how many clicks you save, but it sure is simple!

Honestly, I use the same GPSr for the last few years, re-gift the swag from one cache to another. The hobby does not cost me anything. So I find that signing up for a premium membership and paying the $30 per year is just the right thing to do.

I am not one of those who donates to thing usually, but even without the PQs, it scares me that with the growth of the sport, and the sheer number of caches, what would happen if geocaching.com went away for financial reasons.

I am glad its free, and I am glad I paid my $30, I am also pleased you and other have also.

Definately get the premo membership from geocaching.com and if you want a FREE alternative for loading the .GPX files into your Delorme use EasyGPS. I use GSAK for my Garmins and EasyGPS for my Etrex. It works for Delorme as well. Did I mention it is FREE?

-HHH

I haven't tried much, but I thought easygps wouldn't work with DeLorme?? Not a problem for me since I just do a PQ, unzip the file and drag to my maps. And as for the GSAk, I don't even try to play witht hat one...way too much work for me to figure out lol

Edited by Rockin Roddy