Is my Nuvi 770 good enough to find all caches?

RescueRangers

Well, the outright answer is: no it will not find "all caches."

On the other hand it will find a good many caches and I am sure some one who uses this GPS or similar will be along shortly to give you some help. We have found a couple with our Nuvi 260, but mostly we do use a handheld - in our case a Garmin Legend HCx.

If you are wanting to get started caching I would say give it a go, but just realise that you will need to look for more of the roadside or small local park kind of caches, not one that are long hikes. (Oh, and make sure it is not a rainy day! :angry: )

A few hints that we can give are:

Set it to car, pedestrian or cyle mode as relevant. On ours the way to do it is: Settings> System> Usage mode

You can enter co-ordinates manually. On ours the way to do it is: Where to> Co-ordinates> then enter them! Then select Next>Go

I suspect you model may be a bit different but this might give you some idea what to try.

Annie

Just wondering if I am at a disadvantage to a handheld unit such as the 60csx, etc?

I think ours is a Nuvi 260 W and while I would prefer a handheld, this is all I can afford right now. We do just what someone said, local parks and urban mostly so we don't know how it would do in the woods. The main thing I would want a handheld for is the Nuvi is fragile, I'm afraid I'll drop it!! I have a cheapo compasss that I use, so that's no biggie.

Good luck and happy caching!

PS- I started putting away some money for my handheld. Aaahh, someday! :angry:

It is very do able for caching and look in the forms for the posts on the nuvis micro as it tells how to make it paperless. It's amazing stuff they have done and it works great... they should work for garmin

I have used mine for 4-5 hours straight caching, used a plastic zipplock for when it rains and find the readings exactly the same as my husbands brand new Pn40. It is more durable then you think as I have thrown it when opening a caching that lauches bugs at you that made my big husband scream like a girl.

I do miss the compass of my old one but I do fine with this as long as I know which way is north all is good..(a cheap clip on compass is on my shopping list)

I will not be taking it on long cache hikes that are off the trail in the desert as my husbands will mark the trail back out, lots of different maps and has a great compass. But have found the first 125 caches with my nuvi and find it a great help while traveling with the travel guide on. With the memory chip have load 3 states worth of cahes with room to spare. Plus in urban areas I just act like I'm taking pictures when mugglers are around.

Happy caching.....