Fossil/Archeological Caches

firenut-hunter

** I could not see this post...so I am adding it again....sorry if it double posts)

I am wondering about caches around Fossil Digs or Archeological wonders in WA or OR.

I know of GC156J2 in Republic...plan on hitting that this summer.

I also know of the ones here at Ginko State park GC1C09Y as we live just up the road a little bit....will probably do those this summer also.

My 7 YO son is big into Dinosaurs and we thought this might be fun to find some caches semi-close to home (in-laws live in Eugene, so we get that far a few times a year).

I know Montana has many different digs and museums and shops and what-not...but we are looking for short weekend style trips....thanks in advance...

Firenut-Hunter aka The Russman

Edited by firenut-hunter

There is not a geocache specifically for this area but if you climb Mt. Higgins near the top there is a bunch of shale. If you break apart the shale you will find plant fossils and the occasional shell creature. I personally have not seen it but my Dad swears they are there. As he climbed it several times in his youth. If I ever make it up there I am going to check, maybe if somebody beats me to it they will place an earthcache there and give me some motivation.

What fun! My son has passed out of the fossil-loving phase, but I'm still stuck in it. Here are a few caches that are fascinating for the budding geologist (and a couple are in your old neighborhood). I'll give you the names , sorry, don't know how to make it a hyperlink.

Ferns, GCV290. Lots of plant fossils, right next to the road. Cache is not too far northwest of Oliver, BC.

Balancing Rock: GCPHW0. A couple of mile east of Oliver, toward Baldy. No fossils, but very cool.

Erratic Behavior: GCQWV6. South end of Omak Lake. You probably know the place. If your son hasn't seen it yet, he'll love it.

In Oregon, I really recommend visiting Fossil, Oregon, if you haven't been there already. The town has a fossil bed right behind the high school where you can just dig in - literally. It's pretty close to John Day Fossil Beds, there's near by camping, and the John Day River is nice for swimming.

What fun! My son has passed out of the fossil-loving phase, but I'm still stuck in it. Here are a few caches that are fascinating for the budding geologist (and a couple are in your old neighborhood). I'll give you the names , sorry, don't know how to make it a hyperlink.

Ferns, GCV290. Lots of plant fossils, right next to the road. Cache is not too far northwest of Oliver, BC.

Balancing Rock: GCPHW0. A couple of mile east of Oliver, toward Baldy. No fossils, but very cool.

Erratic Behavior: GCQWV6. South end of Omak Lake. You probably know the place. If your son hasn't seen it yet, he'll love it.

In Oregon, I really recommend visiting Fossil, Oregon, if you haven't been there already. The town has a fossil bed right behind the high school where you can just dig in - literally. It's pretty close to John Day Fossil Beds, there's near by camping, and the John Day River is nice for swimming.

I have been to Fossil Oregon. I have a very nice leaf imprint collection from there. I would also sugest the EarthCache in Bellingham that is owned by Half Canadian. There are some very large fossil imprints in the sandstone.

Zzzoey and IllDrivUNav have a nice series of caches at the John Day Fossil Beds.

Here's one at the Clarno Unit that includes a short hike on the Trail of the Fossils.

Although you cant collect at the national monument, you can drive to the nearby town of Fossil, OR and pay a few dollars to dig in the pit behind the high school. The Digging Fossil Cache is now archived, but has good info for you. We visited last March and brought home a few alder leaf fossils.