Iphone and Geocaching

geos715

Hi Guys:

I recently adapted a Wherigo cache "Highland Fling" I wrote last year to display on an Iphone like cell phone

(one capable of displaying a web browser on a 300 x 350 pixel display" . It can be seen at http://gpsmancer.com or at least the beginning can be seen. You need the answers to the clues to proceed.

In any case you play by using the cell phone to display the waypoints which are entered into an ordinary GPS. When you get to the waypoint location, you use the cellphone to answer a question. The answer is returned to the server where it is checked and if you have answered correctly the next waypoint is returned via the cellphone web browser. Eventually, you get to the actual cache where you can sign the logbook and exchange treasures, etc.

One question is "what kind of cache is this?" It clearly is not a Wherigo as the web server has the logic and images. Actually, I have a version that runs on my mini notebook but that is another problem. I don't know if geocaching.com is interested in hosting these types of geocaching applications or not but it does seem to me there will be a lot of interest in using Iphone like web applications for geocaching.

Regards, Tom Birchmire tbirchmire@usa.net Geos715 is my geocaching developer name and I'm the other half of BluEyz and Bugsy.

You can see my LaptopGPS development work at http://thomasofneedham.com

My First FTP! Wow...

K. will look into this cache.. I am in RI, so will have to see where abouts this cache is. I just recently aquired my Iphone, have not field tested it as of yet,but think I will stay with the GPS'r and use the Iphone for info and sat pics.

Wherigo cartridges seem rare and complicated to set up. Till I get a coulpe under my belt, how am I to understand how thy function? Therefore think Wherigo will be a failure.

Iphone has some possibilities tho, ty

will get back with my ratings of your iphone cache

happy caching

Could somebody tell me how realistic it is to use an iphone for geocaching instead of a gpsr???

I've got the Geocaching app from Groundspeak on my iphone.

It is great for looking up caches on the fly that you may not have previously downloaded to your GPS. It's also instant paperless caching as you have the cache description, hints, logs right there on your iphone.

I have only used it once by itself to navigate to a cache, and it got me there, but the compass seemed a little screwy. It will work fine in a pinch, but I prefer to use it in conjunction with my Colorado. It's nice to have the google satellite views and such that the iphone provides.

I believe there is supposed to be an update coming soon for the Groundspeak Geocaching app on the iphone, but I"m not sure what improvements it will make.

Edited by SALUKIS97

I agree with SALUKIS97. The iPhone is great for paperless caching and is what I've been using recently. The issue that I've run into is that some of the caches that I attempt to get are in areas that have little to no cell phone signal. I wouldn't recommend using it as a replacement for a GPSr however unless you're caching in an environment that has cell phone signal in which case you'll be just fine. If you start venturing off into the countryside/mountains/etc. then you'll start to run into issues.

Hi Guys:

I recently adapted a Wherigo cache "Highland Fling" I wrote last year to display on an Iphone like cell phone

(one capable of displaying a web browser on a 300 x 350 pixel display" . It can be seen at http://gpsmancer.com or at least the beginning can be seen. You need the answers to the clues to proceed.

OK, I must admit, I was going to see if I could Google through this. :blink: I punched in the 1st set of coords (N 41 18.449 W 71 14.668) to see if i could find a nearby landmark, but they put me out in the Atlantic, off the coast of RI. Is this an intentional offset, or a typo?
In any case you play by using the cell phone to display the waypoints which are entered into an ordinary GPS. When you get to the waypoint location, you use the cellphone to answer a question. The answer is returned to the server where it is checked and if you have answered correctly the next waypoint is returned via the cellphone web browser. Eventually, you get to the actual cache where you can sign the logbook and exchange treasures, etc.
Cool concept. Will this be allowable? It requires the use of off-site info to solve the puzzle.
One question is "what kind of cache is this?"
A puzzle.
Hi Guys:

OK, I must admit, I was going to see if I could Google through this. :blink: I punched in the 1st set of coords (N 41 18.449 W 71 14.668) to see if i could find a nearby landmark, but they put me out in the Atlantic, off the coast of RI. Is this an intentional offset, or a typo?

It's more of a dumb mistake on my part the N coord are actually N42 etc. I made the online correction and now google maps puts me in the cemetery rather than the graveyard of ships. Tom B

Cool concept. Will this be allowable? It requires the use of off-site info to solve the puzzle.
One question is "what kind of cache is this?"
A puzzle.

Edited by geos715

Hi Guys:

One question is "what kind of cache is this?" It clearly is not a Wherigo as the web server has the logic and images. Actually, I have a version that runs on my mini notebook but that is another problem. I don't know if geocaching.com is interested in hosting these types of geocaching applications or not but it does seem to me there will be a lot of interest in using Iphone like web applications for geocaching.

Regards, Tom Birchmire tbirchmire@usa.net Geos715 is my geocaching developer name and I'm the other half of BluEyz and Bugsy.

You can see my LaptopGPS development work at http://thomasofneedham.com

*** N42 is the corrected lat. The online cache has been corrected and Google Maps now puts the cache in a cemetery rather than in the Atlantic in the graveyard of ships ****

Edited by geos715
OK, I must admit, I was going to see if I could Google through this. :ph34r: I punched in the 1st set of coords (N 41 18.449 W 71 14.668) to see if i could find a nearby landmark, but they put me out in the Atlantic, off the coast of RI. Is this an intentional offset, or a typo?
It's more of a dumb mistake on my part the N coord are actually N42 etc. I made the online correction and now google maps puts me in the cemetery rather than the graveyard of ships. Tom B
Ok, so now I'm looking for a name on a gravestone, don't think I'll be Googling that one. It was fun while it lasted, maybe when I make it to RI again... Hehe :lol:

Could somebody tell me how realistic it is to use an iphone for geocaching instead of a gpsr???

We use iPhones exclusively and have not had any problems finding any cache so far. If we know the route we are headed into is not going to have data service, we just save the caches from that area into our Geocaching App and then off we go! I could not possibly be happier geocaching with the iPhone, at least since the new update to the App with the search filters to hide previous finds and to single out types of caches. Before the App update, we had seriously considered getting a Garmin Colorado, but now we can pretty much to everything that the Garmin can do on our iPhone (doesn't hurt that team member #1 is a computer dude who can whip it all into shape for our team). Good luck and happy iPhone caching.

iPhone geocaching rocks! I always have my phone in my pocket and between dropping off kids here and there and being a part-time musician I always find myself with a couple of moments here and there where I can go hunting. I was at a gig 100 miles from home last night and got there early... I opened the application and within minutes I was in the DZ... found the cache pretty quick too... in the dark... flashlight in my mouth crawling on my hands and knees!

as mentioned above, cell service is the only weakness but that can be accommodated.

C h e e r s,

groove daddy

iPhone geocaching rocks! I always have my phone in my pocket and between dropping off kids here and there and being a part-time musician I always find myself with a couple of moments here and there where I can go hunting. I was at a gig 100 miles from home last night and got there early... I opened the application and within minutes I was in the DZ... found the cache pretty quick too... in the dark... flashlight in my mouth crawling on my hands and knees!

as mentioned above, cell service is the only weakness but that can be accommodated.

C h e e r s,

groove daddy