Caching with a friend

Muggs

Happy New Year Muggs,

If two cachers have an enjoyable walk to a cache location and share the experience, then they both hunt around and one of them finds the actual cache and shouts 'Eureka!' (or whatever - please see the separate Topic somewhere about what you should actually shout out :) ), then I think they can both sign the log.

However, there may be other considerations if, for examle, it's a very hard puzzle cache and only one of the two has actually been able to solve the puzzle: then what? :wub: Personally, I think at that point it comes down to the old adage of these forums "everyone plays the game their own way". Some will feel happy to sign their name in the log even if they didn't do anything more than the walk and search, whilst others may decide not to claim a find because they didn't do the brain work.

You'll develop your own Caching Ethos as you become more experienced and have to face up to these Major Life Decisions ;)

Enjoy the game!

MrsB

Hello All,

When caching with a friend who gets the find? Or can we both log the find?

We would truly "share" the experience, where one would get us close using the GPSr and the other would do the "hunting".

Thanks,

Muggs

Allow me to add one more point. If your are the First To Find a cache, the person that saw the cache first has the rights to being the FTF. If you both spot the cache at the same time, I suggest, rock, paper scissors. But both can log the find. :wub:

Allow me to add one more point. If your are the First To Find a cache, the person that saw the cache first has the rights to being the FTF. If you both spot the cache at the same time, I suggest, rock, paper scissors. But both can log the find. ;)

I would agree. However this also presents some difficulties - Remember, no rocks must be harmed in any way (see Topic elsewhere), scissor are dangerous objects and should be kept away from caches (see Topic elsewhere) and, of course, many cacher now go 'paperless' (see multiple Topics elsewhere).

Geocaching can be so full of complications at times, can't it? :)

MrsB :wub:

I was recently at a site of a potential FTF with a cacher I met at the site. I found it, but stepped away from the spot before announcing I knew where it was. That gave him the opportunity to find it as well. Turns out someone had already gotten FTF so we were STF and TTF. But we both signed.

I was recently at a site of a potential FTF with a cacher I met at the site. I found it, but stepped away from the spot before announcing I knew where it was. That gave him the opportunity to find it as well. Turns out someone had already gotten FTF so we were STF and TTF. But we both signed.

That darn bomb squad hogs all the FTF's lately. :wub:

Well - whoever finds it first gets to claim the FTF, as far as me and my partner in crime are concerned. Those are rare, though - at least in our neck of the woods. We've got one or two hard-core cachers that'll snatch 'em up as quick as they're posted.

As far as regular "found" caches go - we both claim the find since we're there sharing the experience, and we're both out rooting around trying to find the darned things.

Of course you both log the find.

I was with a large group of cachers today and we all loged on the same FTF line. I have never had a FTF but it was fun to share with about 12 other cachers.

Now if you are with someone who doesn't want you to log any finds that they have then you need to find a new partner. This is just a fun game with little in the way of rules. Take advantage and play how you are comfortable.

Hello All,

When caching with a friend who gets the find? Or can we both log the find?

We would truly "share" the experience, where one would get us close using the GPSr and the other would do the "hunting".

Thanks,

Muggs

You both can log the fine. One can log as the FTF and the other as number 2 or you can log as co-FTF's. The dilemma lies in who lays claim to what the CO leaves for the FTF. ;)