BENCHMARKS

mchaos

I haven't looked for any benchmarks yet, but I plan too. There is on in particular in may area that has not been found.

Its a chiseled cross, and according to notes, in 1942 it was barely visible. I'd like to see if I could find whats left of it.

If I find this, would it be acceptable to mark it with maybe a little bit of paint, or some sort of marker?

I wonder about this for any benchmark like this on. Should we be trying to preserve them or restore them if we can? or are these something we are supposed to leave alone all together.

I think it would be enjoyable to be able to restore some of the decaying ones.

THOUGHTS?

There is a whole section for benchmarks here in the forums. Some great reading there and lots of helpful advice.

Basically the answers to your questions are:

The benchmark you speak of is probably long gone, but it would be waaaay cool if you could still find it.

You should not do anything to alter it, or any other benchmark. There is good discussion about reporting the condition of individual benchmarks in the forum I've noted.

Not all benchmarks are listed on GC, and the NGS is not interested in reports on all benchamarks, either. There is also a spot to log US benchamrks over at Waymarking. I think there are some categories for other countries there as well.

Hope you enjoy caching and benchmarking.

Edited by Neos2

Looks like you're searching for KV1268. This would be a neat one to find. The description is fairly good, but the railroad station appears to be gone when looking at Google maps. However, the foundation for the station might still exist, and if you can locate that step, you're there. If it was hard to see in 1943, it's going to be REAL hard in 2008. :rolleyes:

Good luck, tell us what you find !!

I haven't looked for any benchmarks yet, but I plan too. There is on in particular in may area that has not been found.

Its a chiseled cross, and according to notes, in 1942 it was barely visible. I'd like to see if I could find whats left of it.

If I find this, would it be acceptable to mark it with maybe a little bit of paint, or some sort of marker?

I wonder about this for any benchmark like this on. Should we be trying to preserve them or restore them if we can? or are these something we are supposed to leave alone all together.

I think it would be enjoyable to be able to restore some of the decaying ones.

THOUGHTS?

One thing you can do is to put some talcum powder (baby powder is good) on it. Sprinkle it on and then wipe it clean. This should leave a little white powder in the depressions of the cross (or what is left of it) and highlights it. Here's a picture of what I did on an old inscription on a stone from 1861 (MY3792):

99f3a510-1cf9-4b02-9475-a5a7e63e4d99.jpg

(Click for larger image)

The next rain will wash it away so you won't damage what's left of the mark. Just be careful in this day and age the cops don't arrest you for sprinkling "mysterious white powder". That's why I use baby powder in a genuine Johnson & Johnson dispenser. Better still - Have a baby handy! :blink:

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Welcome to the hobby! As others have mentioned, take time to read the introductions and FAQ. It will make searches more successful and enjoyable. Papa Bear's advice certainly helps with the photography. (Carrying white powder, that is. A baby might be somewhat distracting!)

As Neos2 said, do not attempt any restoration or preservation. That's the rule. No exceptions.

If you wish to mark the spot, you can purchase a roll of "survey tape" at the hardware store. Use only ONE piece at any site. (Multiple strips have a unique meaning in survey work.) If the tape is on a nearby tree/fence post, etc., the knot should face the marker. Again, no exceptions! (If you cannot configure the tape in this manner, leave the roll in your pocket! It is better to use NO tape, than to use it incorrectly.)

Take several photos--up close, an area shot, and a distant shot.

Good hunting!

-Paul-

Welcome to the hobby! As others have mentioned, take time to read the introductions and FAQ. It will make searches more successful and enjoyable. Papa Bear's advice certainly helps with the photography. (Carrying white powder, that is. A baby might be somewhat distracting!)

As Neos2 said, do not attempt any restoration or preservation. That's the rule. No exceptions.

If you wish to mark the spot, you can purchase a roll of "survey tape" at the hardware store. Use only ONE piece at any site. (Multiple strips have a unique meaning in survey work.) If the tape is on a nearby tree/fence post, etc., the knot should face the marker. Again, no exceptions! (If you cannot configure the tape in this manner, leave the roll in your pocket! It is better to use NO tape, than to use it incorrectly.)

Take several photos--up close, an area shot, and a distant shot.

Good hunting!

-Paul-

Hey Paul,

THanks for the heads up with the survey tape. Another tidbit I didn't know. Now to go one step further, I ahve seen both orange and pink sed around here. Do the different colors have any meaning? Which color should we use, if we decide it's necessary?

Looks like you're searching for KV1268. This would be a neat one to find. The description is fairly good, but the railroad station appears to be gone when looking at Google maps. However, the foundation for the station might still exist, and if you can locate that step, you're there. If it was hard to see in 1943, it's going to be REAL hard in 2008. :lol:

Good luck, tell us what you find !!

Don't be confused by 'south of the south rail'. The Netcong Station is still there. Look at KV1269. There was another rail line that ran north on the Netcong Station. It has been abandoned. Andy Bear and I could not find the chiselled cross, and I suspect that holograph looked for it as well.

Astro-D asks:

I have seen both orange and pink used around here. Do the different colors have any meaning?

And from the mailbox:

> Re: Survey tape: I gotta know ... what do multiple bands of tape mean, and where can I find the rule book for such things?

Excellent questions.

Two or three bands of tape, applied to the same object, indicate a property corner.

One piece of flagging tape per object, at intervals, indicates a property line. (One reason for specifying only one piece of tape per site was a caution about playing "Tom Sawyer" and marking your way through the woods--which might imply a property line.)

The third reason for using one piece of tape per site is a growing concern that standard survey tape is toxic to animals, and it is not bio-degradable. Although you may see that the Pro's have used a lot of tape at a site, they have used only what is necessary to accomplish their purpose or to comply with local Codes. For geocaching finds, one piece is sufficient to identify the location in a photo.

Side Note: If you're laying out a hiking trail or Disk Golf course, or defining a campsite, a special tape is available which is non-toxic and degrades in 6 to 18 months. [by the way, the distributor also carries several small waterproof notepads which would make good logbooks for geocaching.]

Surveyors typically use Red and/or International Orange flagging tape, because these are the most visible. Tapes which are solid blue or which have stripes often indicate "perc" sites or the construction set-back distance on a land parcel.

The professionals in the Forum may weigh in with additional information. I only am familiar with what can be termed Standard Practices.

For instance, Standard Practice is to tie the ribbon so that the knot faces the property iron or the property line, or the benchmark.

Best regards,

-Paul-

Edited by PFF