Oregon 400 - downloading geocaches

jamberwil

Hi and Merry Christmas!

I'm new to this (geocaching & the gps) - just opened my Oregon 400 (Xmas present) and tried to download some local caches for an outing with the kids but I can't figure out how to do it!

I've downloaded a selection of caches in my local area onto my computer - a .loc file. I've connected the 400t via the usb cable and tried sending the file to it and it does appear in 'Garmin' on the computer but when I disconnect and try it it tells me no geocaches found.

I suspect I'm going about this the wrong way - the only detail in the handbook refers to transfer using 'Mapsource' - is this something else I have to download?

Help appreciated!

Thanks

Martin

Here is a great link that will have the answer to your questions and more. I also recently just got a Oregon and this site greatly increased my learning curve.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Have fun

Tarbal

Hey thanks for that Tarbal!

I've put it into favourites and I'll check it out later - I just figured out how to do it though - I was checking all the boxes on the page and then selecting download - now I've discovered the 'send to gps' icon (duh!) so it seems I have to do them one at a time....! Maybe Premium would let me do them all together?

Anyway - thanks again - just heading out with the kids while the sun's shining!

Martin

...is that a trout you're holding?

Yes, the premium membership will allow you to generate pocket queries, which can download up to 500 caches at one time. Those .loc files only contain the cache name and the coordinates. But if you have a premium membership, you can download .gpx files, which contain all of the cache information, including description, logs, hints, etc. The premium membership also has a ton of other benefits. It's $30 per year, but really enhances your caching experience if you use it right. Good luck.

Yup - definitley the best way to use that Oregon is to become a Premium member for just $30 per year and then make use of Pocket Queries. You can drop 500 at a time (to a max of 2000) caches on the unit in just seconds.

Here is a fine tutorial for PQs http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Then take the GPX file you get sent in your email and put in on the Oregon in the folder [drive]:\garmin\gpx

Off you go!!

Yup - definitley the best way to use that Oregon is to become a Premium member for just $30 per year and then make use of Pocket Queries. You can drop 500 at a time (to a max of 2000) caches on the unit in just seconds.

Here is a fine tutorial for PQs http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Then take the GPX file you get sent in your email and put in on the Oregon in the folder [drive]:\garmin\gpx

Off you go!!

Thanks guys - I'm working on it! :rolleyes:

Many people on various sites are saying that the "Send to GPS" does not work with the Oregon 400 from Garmin, this is not strictly true. Firstly install Garmin Communicator software (link is available in Geocache.com)

When you plug in your Garmin to your PC, the Garmin askes "USB Cable detected, would you like to go to mass storage?" The correct answer here is YES. This puts a picture of a PC on the garmin, now simply press send to Garmin on any Geocache you like and it sends it straight away.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Simon

Hello. I too got a wonderful new Oregon 400t for Christmas. I have a premium membership with Geocaching. I never have needed, or have been able to figure out the pocket queries...but now I need them! I filled up twenty-five percent of my GPS by loading 50 caches one at a time. Now, dang it all, I cannot erase them! Can anyone point me to a VERY BASIC (read...computer bozo) step by step to make and download pq's and how to make and download gpx files. I have Easygps, but need to find a better tutorial than their site offers. So far I love the new Oregon...except for the scary leaps it is insisting I make into computer literacy!