Error Message When Users Attempt to Download

drives

I recently uploaded a new cartridge using the Builder and users are getting this lengthy error messsage when they attempt to download it. Any idea what it means?

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.ApplicationException: Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown. at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.LuaDoFile(String filename) at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesLinker.ZonesLinker.CreateZonesFile(String luaFilename, String binaryFilename, String cartridgeId, String playerName, Int64 playerId, String completionCode, DeviceType targetDevice, EngineVersion engineVersion, Boolean bObfuscate) at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesLinker.ZonesLinker.CreateZonesFile(String luaFilename, String binaryFilename, String cartridgeId, String playerName, Int64 playerId, String completionCode, DeviceType targetDevice, EngineVersion engineVersion) at Wherigo.CartridgeService.ExtractCompileCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String gwzFilename, String cartridgeId, Int64 playerId, String playerName, DeviceType deviceType, String completionCode, String binaryFilename) at Wherigo.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Wherigo.GSPCartridgeService.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) at cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Edited by drives

Well, now we're on version 1.8 which means I've uploaded the file now a total of nine times. So guess what? That didn't work. ....(again).

The GWC file works just fine when I send it to users via email. I'd really like to see some option for deleting everything on the Wherigo page so in cases like this, we can start all over again. I know it'probably something that I've done wrong, but how do I go about finding out what that is?

That's always a possibility although I'm on a Dell that is less than a year old, running Vista, and using AT&T as my ISP. If the opportunity arises, I would certainly give that a try. There are a couple of other things worth attempting, but I would need the option of being able to delete a cartirdge, which we apparently do not have at this time.

I would prefer that someone from the Wherigo team actually interpret the error message and/or the actual file iteself to pinpoint the problem. Afterall, isn't that what those messages are for?

Absolutely right. I whole heartedly agree that it's something wrong with my coding, but I don't have a clue as to where to begin to look for the error. The entire cartridge was created in the builder program and published that way as well. I have used the compiler but got the same result.

I'm in the process of going through the LUA file line by line now looking for something that might cause the problem. But right now, to me the biggest issue is the lack of response. Email to Groundspeak through the Wherigo website as well as this posting in the forums have brought me a big fat *ignore*.

I would just throw in the towel and delete the whole thing if I could.

I'm not sold on the idea that it's a problem with your coding, I'm still leaning twoards an upload issue, could even be that your anti virus or anti spyware software is interfering.

If you want, send me a zip file with lua file and all the media, and I'll try to upload it to the site, I can leave it "unavailable" to the general public, but at least we will be able to tell if it's coding or an upload issue.

Don't forget, Vista has caused some issues with the builder program......

I had a similar problem with the GWC working out of builder and not after going through the Wherigo site. Obviously the Wherigo complier is different from the builders “publish to my machine” complier. With no support or documentation of these differences I feel it’s a crap shoot every time you upload a cartridge. What I did was make a test cartridge going zone by zone to zero in on the error. Starting with the startup and zone 1, I got lucky the problem was in the first zone. The Wherigo complied file put in something that cause the cartridge to shut down if the length of the dialog (or message) was longer than 7 ½ lines of text (I’m sure it’s characters but I didn’t count them). I simply divided the text into different screens using the dialog command. That worked for the Colorado, it still doesn’t work with the Oregon. Of coarse I had to upload each time (to go through the web complier) so now I have version 2.6 out there! Geez! I totally agree with you we should be able to delete old or unwanted cartridges.

Well, the problem wasn't with the dialog or message boxes. I pared it down to almost a blank cartridge with one zone and it still wouldn't work. So I renamed the cartridge and uploaded it without adding any of the description on the Wherigo webpage. Everything worked. So then I put back in the Short Description, Long Description and Starting Point and I got the same error message. I took out some of the Starting Point information and the thing worked.

Something doesn't quite seem right, but now it is working. So I renamed the original one and took it out of service, and then renamed the new back to the old name and put it in service. Seems to work.

But before I claim victory here, I'm going to need to download it and give it a field trial because over the course of time I've been in there changing all kinds of stuff.

Thanks for all the responses, and as for Groundspeak support, well.....read my lips

If that helped here’s the numbers. It was after 1005 characters (including spaces). I’m not sure exactly how much after, but 1005 worked and 1030 didn’t so by deduction my dear Watson, I would say 1026 (1k) is the limit. Of course I gave myself a little leeway. Speaking of text. Do you have any special type characters in your text? Like any of the top of the numbers keys (! @ # $ ECT.)? Man, I used some of these on my first cartridge and it came back with errors and freeze ups and all kind of nasty father stabbers and mother rapers and father…. You get it. Now I do not even use the " or : or ; or even '. Periods letters and 1 and only 1 space is my credo. It is a shame the code is so fragile.

You're right. But then why would the thing work just fine when you email the GWC files directly to the users? That just boggles me. And yes, it should work like Alice's Restaurant.

There was, and till is, an ampersand(&) and number sign(#) in the Starting Location and Long Description. But it seems to be working with those in there.

You're right. But then why would the thing work just fine when you email the GWC files directly to the users? That just boggles me. And yes, it should work like Alice's Restaurant.

because the Wherigo website needs to regenerate GWC each time anyone tries to download it - to include his info and unique unlock code.

and the software on the server is different from the one in the builder, so it might have different bugs.

I confirmed that the trouble all along was with special characters in the Long Description and Starting Point text blocks. I used a character counter to confirm the length and both were within the listed limit.

I removed all the special characters and the cartridge downloads just fine now. So that explains whyit worked when emailed to users, but it is still a mystery as to why something like that on the web page would create an error message when downloading what should have been nothing more than the GWC file.

Have the server-side compilers changed then?

Our two cartridges (GC161DA & GC1B9MZ) used to download fine but now won't

I haven't changed or updated anything for months

I'll have no choice but disable both until I get a chance to look into this... :ninja:

I would start by eliminating everything in the long description and see if works then. If it does, then sart adding back in the pieces until it breaks again. Yours is not that lengthy so it won't take long to find out.

Edited by drives

Have the server-side compilers changed then?

Our two cartridges (GC161DA & GC1B9MZ) used to download fine but now won't

I haven't changed or updated anything for months

I'll have no choice but disable both until I get a chance to look into this... :ninja:

I would start by eliminating everything in the long description and see if works then. If it does, then sart adding back in the pieces until it breaks again. Yours is not that lengthy so it won't take long to find out.

YAY! FIXED!

It looks like it's because I had a hyperlink in the Long Description linking back to the actual cache page!

This IS possible but I must be doing it wrong somehow.

Thanks

YAY! FIXED!

I downloaded the cart for GC161DA and was given the choice of versions for "Garmin Colorado", "Garmin Oregon", "Garmin Nuvi 500", or "PocketPC Device". The second and third of those options are new to me. Did you do anything special to make these versions? On my builder the choice seems to be between Colorado and PocketPC, with "Smartphone" sitting in the code somewhere (this last observation is based on a quick read of some binary files).

((FWIW, I picked "Colorado" and "Nuvi 500" but when I compared the files, they were identical at the point where the device is defined and both said "Garmin Colorado"...))

I was slightly surprised to see "Garmin Oregon" & "Garmin Nuvi 500" as well.

I haven't touched our cartridges or pages for months and only came to try downloading the other day because we had an email from an eager cacher saying he couldn't download it.

Maybe the site change to include the two new gps types also included a change which objected to my bb code hyperlinks....

Mark

Wow! this was completely unexpected. I started a thread on this same topic today (my bad).

After reading this thread I found the problem.

I too had added a link to my cache on the the Geocaching.com web site via the long description on the the Wherigo web site. (NOT IN THE BUILDER.)

Unfortunately - it seems that the web site information is used to build the cartridge - completely unexpected.

So back to an older question - is there a way to link to Geocaching.com that does not break the cartridge?

CacheCredit.

Hi I have had a similar error, but only with certain cachers trying to download it. I logged into my account my moms and dads and they all downloaded it perfect, but when I logged into an account I created for school it gives the error. Weird that not everyone gets the error eh!

here is the error msg i got:

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[indexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.]

Groundspeak.Web.Utils.BaseX.Int2Base(Int32 InInt) +121

cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +264

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +105

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +107

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1746

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

Before I ask Groundspeak about it, could you please provide some specific information? What account names did you use? Which cartridge did you try to download?

I love that you included the stack trace and the exception detail: those are two really important things for debugging this.

Hi I have had a similar error, but only with certain cachers trying to download it. I logged into my account my moms and dads and they all downloaded it perfect, but when I logged into an account I created for school it gives the error. Weird that not everyone gets the error eh!

here is the error msg i got:

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1746

I have a cacher "Bunnyrunners" that emailed me today. They are receiving the same error exactly. They were trying to download my A Tour of Frankenmuth Wherigo. Here is the link to my Wherigo cartridge: A Tour of Frankenmuth

Here is the error they received:

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.]
 cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +265

I still say it's an issue relating to a user's account. I do not know what integer it's trying to convert. Perhaps it's certain user IDs or something. Keep a watch on the main topic and I'll post a note when Groundspeak notifies me of progress. I've been pushing the issue more and more lately, so don't think multiple people there don't know about it.

Edited by Ranger Fox

Well, add a friend of mine to the list.

I have a cartridge I uploaded a little over a week ago. A few people have downloaded it (including me) and it has two completions. Yet today my friend received the same error:

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

I was able to intiate a download (didn't save it to my computer as I didn't want to inflate my download counter). I suggested they log out and back in, that didn't solve their problem. I'm on XP SP3, I know they are on Vista. Could their OS be the issue?

Ok, just published my first cartridge. And everyone who attempts to download it gets the same message! Read every post, tried everything mentioned, still no good. ARRRRRGH! Has anything been done to solve this in the last year? No wonder the uptake on Wherigo is slow. Can anybody help, the cartridge is for a event in 2 days!!!

Ok, just published my first cartridge. And everyone who attempts to download it gets the same message! Read every post, tried everything mentioned, still no good. ARRRRRGH! Has anything been done to solve this in the last year? No wonder the uptake on Wherigo is slow. Can anybody help, the cartridge is for a event in 2 days!!!

Can you send me a link to the cartridge?

Sorry about that, posted under my sock puppet account..............

Send it to my profile, I'll see if I can get it.

Sorry about that, posted under my sock puppet account..............

Send it to my profile, I'll see if I can get it.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...f4-6e357797d591

When I (and others) try to download my Wherigo: http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/download....d5-f8d46dcf40c6

I get the same error message, I've removed the special cacharcters in the description, but no result. The cardridge was build with urwigo. Has anybody suggestion for this problem?

Error During Upload

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.ApplicationException: Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown. at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.LuaDoFile(String filename) at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesLinker.ZonesLinker.CreateZonesFile(String luaFilename, String binaryFilename, String cartridgeId, String playerName, Int64 playerId, String completionCode, DeviceType targetDevice, EngineVersion engineVersion, Boolean bObfuscate) at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesLinker.ZonesLinker.CreateZonesFile(String luaFilename, String binaryFilename, String cartridgeId, String playerName, Int64 playerId, String completionCode, DeviceType targetDevice, EngineVersion engineVersion) at Wherigo.CartridgeService.ExtractCompileCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String gwzFilename, String cartridgeId, Int64 playerId, String playerName, DeviceType deviceType, String completionCode, String binaryFilename) at Wherigo.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Wherigo.GSPCartridgeService.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) in C:\projects\TFS\Tucson\trunk\Main\Src\Web\Tucson.WebApp.Wherigo\Web References\GSPCartridgeService\Reference.cs:line 284 at cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\projects\TFS\Tucson\trunk\Main\Src\Web\Tucson.WebApp.Wherigo\cartridge\download.aspx.cs:line 134

Lua doesn't like that.
Lua does, it's just Wherigo.com services that struggle with it...

Yes, the home-made partial Lua parsing is wrong. I'm guessing that instead of stripping out comments first, it tries to evaluate strings first. (I made a home-made partial Lua parser myself for Earwigo's cartridge import feature, and this was one of the first design decisions!)

And another case off "Error During Upload"

In Urwigo I had given the cardridge the identifier objWGT

In a dialog I wanted to show the user the version of the cardridge with:

objWGT.Version

This was causing the error, I don't know why...

I have to resort to deducting the version with the download date:

os.date('%c', Env.Downloaded)

Tc