Common places to look?

Slvgx

Hello all.

I'm new to all this and so far I haven't had too hard of a time with things, but sometimes I have no idea what I'm looking for. I search in Chicago and it's surrounding suburbs, that means a lot of micro caches. It seems a lot of people know what to look for because they are experienced, but there are also tricks that I was never aware of. One that pops out is the lamp post bottom thing, I would have thought those things would have not been movable if I had not read the logs. I bet there are a lot more common hiding places or tips beginners should be aware of besides looking for something that is out of place, because that doesn't always work. I'm sure this has been asked for and I did do a forum and google search for common hiding places FAQs or things like that, but nothing really all that helpful came up. Anyone want to point me to some links for further reading?

My suggestion is to just get out there and start looking. My caching "career" started in Chicago and it's a great city for caching. Many posters advise that begineers avoid the micros/small caches when starting, but that's impossible in the city itself, somewhat easier out in the Forest Preserves and suburbs (where I've never ventured ;) ). I could give you a lot of examples where I've found caches, but I think that would spoil the fun for you. Good thing is that there are very few LPCs in Chicago. I can only recall a couple that I found. You're lucky that you are in a place where there are a lot of clever hiders, and most do give hints. If you really want to test yourself, look for caches hidden by Hutt. In my mind, he is a master at this. If you want to try a real fun one, look for Yerkes Fountain South (in Evanston) that he placed along with Genius Loci. That will lead you to Yerkes Fountain North (very clever) and Yerkes Tap (which I not been able to look for yet). The south one was my 7th find, so not too difficult, but fun.

Enjoy your searches!

Welcome to Geocaching!

What you are referring to is what we call 'geo-sense'. It's kinda that 'sixth sense' that comes with time and experience. After you've done several caches, it'll start to sharpen. However, just when you think you've seen everything.... BAM! Some evil cacher out there throws you a serious curve ball!!!!!

Now, get out there and CACHE!!!!

Cache Safe, Cache Strong!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

For urban micros I have found that you have to "FEEL" everything. Carefully run your hand on the least visible side of whatever you are searching around. Most often the object will not be visible, but will move when your hand brushes against it giving you that "Wait a minute..." sensation.

Another common suggestion people say is to think like you were hiding it. Where would you try to hide the cache in this location?

Learn to distrust everything. Many times when I first started (which was only a year or so ago), I would look at something and say, "oh, that is just a bolt." After a fake bolt cache container, i learned that there is no such thing as "just a bolt" anymore. Don't take anything for what it appears to be. Some hiders are very creative.

My best recomendations include what you didn't want to hear - look for things "out of place". But here goes my common answer.....

Think like a hider, where would you hide something. Look for anything out of place - too new, too old, too perfect, not like others nearby, too many, too few. Look for any signs of previous searches. Often cachers stnad in one place for few moments after a find. Think magnetic, many micro caches are attached magnetically. Feel where you cannot see - run your hand along any and all surfaces. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground or at eye level. Change your perspective, a shift in the lighting can often reveal a caches hiding spot. Look for unnatural lines and shapes. Look for unusual piles of leaves, branches, rocks, etc.

Have you browsed the cool cache containers thread yet? Lots of ideas there about container and hide techniques.

I'm working my way through this thread only looking at pictures so far. This is both terrifying and awesome at the same time.

Thanks everyone else for the tips.

Just keep in mind most caches aren't like that.

If you're looking for a micro, they are often magnetic, so check any metal objects nearby. Guardrails, stop signs, fences. Feel behind and look under things. If there is a tree, check any knot holes or the "crotch" where

two or more trunks branch offf. Also look around the roots for something tucked there. If there is a bush, or evergreen look among the branches. Sometimes they are hanging inside like a Christmas tree ornament.

Larger caches are usually easier (but not always). Look in hollow trees and stumps, in rock crevices and alongside the trunks of a down trees. Keep an eye out for unusual piles of sticks, bark or rocks.

Edited by briansnat