Ipaq 4700 and CF GPS unit

mistux

I'd recommend rather than getting a GPS attachment for your Ipaq, buy an inexpensive handheld GPS. Your Ipaq is a pretty expensive device and not designed for the rigors of outdoor use. While geocaching your unit is going to get rained on (or snowed on in some areas), dropped on rocks, banged around, dragged through bushes. A handheld GPS is designed to take this. Your Ipaq is not. One slip into a stream while crossing on a log or get caught in a sudden thunderstorm and you'll have yourself a very expensive paperweight.

Another issue is battery life. It really isn't sufficient for a day of geocaching, unless you are just doing drive up caches and can recharge it in between.

Edited by briansnat

I have an iPAQ hx4700. I agree with Brian. Do not use it for geocaching, except for perhaps viewing cache descriptions in the field. But even for that task, I prefer to bring my $8 Palm IIIxe instead of the $140 (used) iPAQ. I'll be out less money if I drop the PDA on the rocks. The durability and battery life of the iPAQ make a cheap dedicated handheld GPSr a better choice.

I do use a GPS receiver with my iPAQ for the purpose of mapping WiFi hotspots. I use a Holux M-1000 Bluetooth GPS receiver. It is fast to acquire a signal and has worked well with the iPAQ. I also tried an SDIO GPS receiver from US Globalsat that goes into the SD slot, but it was more difficult to get my software to interface with than the Holux Bluetooth GPSr. Pairing up with the Holux is easy.

I'd recommend rather than getting a GPS attachment for your Ipaq, buy an inexpensive handheld GPS. Your Ipaq is a pretty expensive device and not designed for the rigors of outdoor use. While geocaching your unit is going to get rained on (or snowed on in some areas), dropped on rocks, banged around, dragged through bushes. A handheld GPS is designed to take this. Your Ipaq is not. One slip into a stream while crossing on a log or get caught in a sudden thunderstorm and you'll have yourself a very expensive paperweight.

Another issue is battery life. It really isn't sufficient for a day of geocaching, unless you are just doing drive up caches and can recharge it in between.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have an Axim x5 and recently added a CF GPS. GlobalSat SIRFStar III. It works great with Richesse GPS for the GPS function. (about $40 on ebay) Came with additional external antenna and a PCMI adapter for the laptop. It is a battery hog though. I use it for the caches that don't require long walks to the site. I'm getting an extended life battery to use along with it and have the ability to charge in the car already.

It has been a great addition but my old Garmin GPS is a better choice for regular use. (battery life, durability in an accident) The new CF GPS does allow me to download LOC files directly to the unit and keep track of finds on the PDA which I don't have with the Garmin. As I am a regular member I also use Sunrise XP to download cache pages for use on the road

Thanks everyone for your concern over my Ipaq.

However, I am lucky enough to have a spaire 4700 that is just collecting dust, so I wanted to re-purpose that one.

That's great, but you still have battery life issues. If you are just looking to do drive up geocaching, it will be fine, but if you'd like to go after some of the awesome caches that are away from the road, then you might find yourself out of juice half way between caches.

That's great, but you still have battery life issues. If you are just looking to do drive up geocaching, it will be fine, but if you'd like to go after some of the awesome caches that are away from the road, then you might find yourself out of juice half way between caches.

Now that is a good enough rason for me not to use the 4700.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive unit to get me started?

Now that is a good enough rason for me not to use the 4700.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive unit to get me started?

Can't go wrong with the Garmin Venture HC - about $130 online - USB, color screen, Geocaching mode, map memory, rugged, long battery life.

or

The Garmin eTrex "H" - about $90 but b&W screen, no maps and a serial computer interface.