GPS Questions

k.e.r.

The Garmin eTrexH is a good basic model (link).

However it only has a serial interface and does not come with a computer cable. The eTrex Venture® HC (link) comes with USB interface and cable and has a color display as well.

Thanks, I think I have looked at that model (The venture HC). I just can't justify the money on a hobby I haven't even tried yet.

However it only has a serial interface and does not come with a computer cable. The eTrex Venture® HC (link) comes with USB interface and cable and has a color display as well.

Thanks, I think I have looked at that model (The venture HC). I just can't justify the money on a hobby I haven't even tried yet.

Think of it this way. The eTrex H will run you about $89. If you get even slightly into the sport you are going to need to hook it up to your PC. For this you will need a special cable ($30) and if you have a newer PC without a serial port, a serial to USB converter ($30). That brings you to $149. The Venture HC is usually between $119 and $129 and you likely already have the cable if you have a digital camera, certain cell phones, PDAs or numerous other digital devices.

Also, if you get a better unit, you can use it for numerous things besides geocaching. Want turn by turn driving directions in your car? Do you hunt? Hike? Drive off road? Many handheld GPS units will come in handy for all these pursuits and more.

But to answer your original question, the eTrex H will work for geocaching and you can print out maps to bring along if you like.

Edited by briansnat

Think of it this way. The eTrex H will run you about $89. If you get even slightly into the sport you are going to need to hook it up to your PC. For this you will need a special cable ($30) and if you have a newer PC without a serial port, a serial to USB converter ($30). That brings you to $149. The Venture HC is usually between $119 and $129 and you likely already have the cable if you have a digital camera, certain cell phones, PDAs or numerous other digital devices.

Also, if you get a better unit, you can use it for numerous things besides geocaching. Want turn by turn driving directions in your car? Do you hunt? Hike? Drive off road? Many handheld GPS units will come in handy for all these pursuits and more.

But to answer your original question, the eTrex H will work for geocaching and you can print out maps to bring along if you like.

You make great points, maybe I will look into a GPS with better features. Thanks for the input, it's helpful.

If you already have a PC with a serial interface, the eTrex H is not a bad choice. The serial vs. USB issue only really comes into play when you're trying to transfer maps to the unit. It can take many, many hours over a serial connection. As the eTrex H isn't a mapping unit, that's not an issue. Transferring waypoints via serial is fairly speedy.

I have used the H for over a year. It sat unused for several years before I started caching and during that time I lost several rows of pixels on the screen. I still use it today. It has been a trusty companion and works well enough. There are directions on how to fashion your own serial cable online if you have the connection on your computer and want to try it. It's not that difficult to construct. Entering the coords myself is not difficult and you will need to be able to do this anyway for those multi caches that require entering them onsite. You just get comfortable and efficient at doing it.

All that being said I now desire to have a better unit with more flexibility like downloading the coords rather than entering them all by hand. The mapping issue is not of much importance to me. I usually take a look at the google map on the cache page to get an idea of where I intend to look and how to get to the general area but have never found the need to actually print maps. The etrex alone is sufficient to find the cache