which Gps Would you Guys Reccomend

Bjuggs

looking to buy a Gps . I boondock off trail in the back country and am heading to the mountains in wyoming this winter ,that is all it will be mainly used for

I need Topo . is the new colorado rugged enough and can it with stand the Cold . the unit will be mounted on the sled . not setting in a jacket pocket.

appreciate any advice on what you guys think would be the Best GPS

I'd suggest you consider the Delorme PN-40. In addition to the included topo maps, for an additional $30 annual subscription fee you can download unlimited USGS quads and satellite imagery.

But the main advantage for your need is that it would provide an easy means to add tracks that you record as embedded trails to your topo maps. The TopoUSA map software has good editing capability.

If, as you say, you're planning on only using it for snowmobiling, the older, slower PN-20 might work well enough, too...it's currently available at Walmart.com for $150.

The chief drawback in a head-to-head with the Colorado is a smaller screen in the PNs.

The 40 has been tested plenty out in the cold and handles it very well (watch out for temps in the -40 degree range though --- there is a thread somewhere about it but I can't find it).

The 40 is perfect for outdoor use as that is it's main purpose in life. Topo and aerial imagery, hard to go wrong.

The RAM mount is rock solid and will hold the 40 very well.

The chief drawback in a head-to-head with the Colorado is a smaller screen in the PNs.

A head-to-head comparison of specs on paper, that is.

If one searches this forum for new PN-40 owners who also have Colorados, I haven't seen any that are sending their PN-40s back. Regardless of relative screen size, owners of both express a preference for the PN-40.

Regarding the unlimited downloads of the USGS 3DTQ maps and Color Aerial Imagery, that is all that I use for backcountry 4WD travel subsequent to its availability. I enjoy superimposing the recorded tracks from these trips over the Aerial Imagery to see where I've been.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

DeLorme is sponsoring John Huston and Tyler Fish on their North Pole Expedition in 2009. Huston used the PN-20 to ski unsuported to the South Pole in 2008 and will use the PN-40 to reach the North Pole in 2009. I think it's fair to say that the PN-Series devices have been tested in cold weather environments.

http://www.delorme.com/about/pressreleases...le09sponsor.htm

Keep in mind that cold temperatures do a number on battery performance. I'd recommend the travel power kit to make sure you can supply external power. I used the PN-20 (same general design as the PN-40 when it comes to screen and battery configuration) on a snowmobile trip in Yellowstone a few years back and had much better battery performance when I kept it in my jacket so that the batteries stayed warm. We have lots of users with ATVs and snowmobiles that mount the device so I'm sure you can learn more on our forum.delorme.com site.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the device.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

First here's a screen shot from the Topo7 desktop software of an area in the state forest near me. The left panel is the CDOQQ (the color satellite imagery) data that Delorme offers through their subscription program. Note the road in the upper right; all the other pathways you can see are offroad. A gas line cut goes across the lower section of the screen.

Topo7screenshot.jpg

Here's a screen shot from the PN-40 of the same area. The waypoint I planted in the image above corresponds to the position of the cursor in the shot below.

screencap-2008-12-14--16-53-30.jpg

First here's a screen shot from the Topo7 desktop software of an area in the state forest near me. The left panel is the CDOQQ (the color satellite imagery) data that Delorme offers through their subscription program. Note the road in the upper right; all the other pathways you can see are offroad. A gas line cut goes across the lower section of the screen.

Topo7screenshot.jpg

Here's a screen shot from the PN-40 of the same area. The waypoint I planted in the image above corresponds to the position of the cursor in the shot below.

Thankk you for this . looks like the aerial could be very helpful for me off trail.

i ordered the PN-40 last night , can`t wait to get it. where is a good place to get Accessories . i am looking for the travel power kit , to hard wire it to the snowmobile, did not see that at tiger GPS

thanks all again

I have the Travel Kit and never leave home without it.

AFAIK, it can only be purchased from DeLorme.

My PN-40 (couldn't pass on the $279 Amazon deal) is supposed to arrive Wednesday, which is a bummer because I leave for a work trip Tuesday night...maybe it'll get here early...

Can the -40 be powered through the USB connection? I have a car adaptor that just converts to a USB plugin. It'd be nice to just use the cable it comes with instead of having to buy the specific car adapter...

Topo7screenshot.jpg

Thankk you for this . looks like the aerial could be very helpful for me off trail.

i ordered the PN-40 last night , can`t wait to get it. where is a good place to get Accessories . i am looking for the travel power kit , to hard wire it to the snowmobile, did not see that at tiger GPS

thanks all again

Topo7screenshot.jpg

thanks all again

Hi.

In the process of buying a DL 20 for grandson for Holiday. On Amazon its listed new for $149.,

the refurbished unit from Tiger is $169. The new model seems to have all included but the USB

cord. Amazon does not show this as an acessory available. Any help would be appreciated.

Topo7screenshot.jpg

thanks all again

I don't think you can go wrong with either. The PN-40 should be cool. I have used GPS well snowmobiling for 7 years. This is my first year with the Colorado 400T and can't believe how much nicer this is than my old smaller Garmin. The large color screen makes navigating so much easier plus it came with US topo preloaded. I think the PN-40 should be a good choice as well.

I have the Travel Kit and never leave home without it.

AFAIK, it can only be purchased from DeLorme.

My PN-40 (couldn't pass on the $279 Amazon deal) is supposed to arrive Wednesday, which is a bummer because I leave for a work trip Tuesday night...maybe it'll get here early...

Can the -40 be powered through the USB connection? I have a car adaptor that just converts to a USB plugin. It'd be nice to just use the cable it comes with instead of having to buy the specific car adapter...

Yes, yes, yes & yes!

I have the 12VDC car adapter with 4 USB slots from DealExtreme.com. I can power and charge my cellphone, Sandisk Sansa music player, PN-20 & PN-40 simultaneously.

10-4?

Over and out!

Hi.

In the process of buying a DL 20 for grandson for Holiday. On Amazon its listed new for $149.,

the refurbished unit from Tiger is $169. The new model seems to have all included but the USB

cord. Amazon does not show this as an acessory available. Any help would be appreciated.

These on-line locations are all selling the same package that DeLorme sells, there will be a cable in the box that you receive. If for some strange reason you don't find a cable, contact our customer service department and they'll take care of you. I hope your grandson enjoys the new GPS device! Be sure to check in at forum.delorme.com if you have any questions...

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme