PN-20-how to download caches?

loadedgun

I haven't bought a PN-20 yet, but I'm almost certain that is the route I am going to upgrade to. My question is, how easy is it to download new geocaches into the unit? Does it hook up to the computer via cable and the caches are automatically downloaded? And by 'true paperless', what all will it hold? Cache description/logs/hints etc? I'm really not sure on what I'm getting into.

I currently am using a Magellan Explorist 100 (yes, the PN-20 is a BIG upgrade), and I have to manually enter each cache prior to going out and looking for it. (hence the reason for upgrading) So how much easier will it be if I get the PN-20?

Any experienced guidance would be greatful. Thanks in advance.~

I'd get the PN-40 not the 20.

Delorme's Topo 7 software is how to send and receive waypoints, routes, tracks and maps to and from the unit.

As for paperless, I'm not sure, not having one and only playing a bit with a PN-20 that a friend won at a geocaching event. I think you send a GPX file to the unit. If it's anything like other GPS's, the memory card in the unit acts like a memory drive when you plug your USB cable to it and your computer.

But I'd wait for others to really answer your question with actual experience, not just my guesses.

Edited to say. Delorme software is just about the most alien around. Glad that Embra has a tutorial around. I've been using various versions of Each of the dozens of kinds of Delorme software for about 10 years so I have learned how to do everything I need to do. But I'm not in a position to be able to educate anyone else.

Edited by trainlove

Only had my PN-20 for a few weeks now and loading caches is no sweat.

Once you have Topo 7 loaded in the computer open it, go to the FIND tab, type in location and pick the appropriate map area.

Next go to the DRAW tab and click.

On the left hand side bottom you'll see a FILE button. Push it. Should change the lay out at the bottom of the screen.

On the right bottom you'll find an IMPORT button. Open it and find where you have downloaded your quiry file from gc.com. (best to do the download as a GPX. file and make sure it's unzipped) Click the file and the caches should start popping up on the map. Each will be labeled by the cache name not the waypoint #. Each cache name on the map will be hypeactive, taking you straight to gc.com and the cache site. Which I find nice for logging caches later.

Save the map and exchanging the information to the GPS is pretty much by the book, except for one hiccup in the system. I find that if you transfer the map and the waypoints(caches), as they recommend, you seem to lose all the comment information. It's easy to get around that simply by making sure the map is preloaded into the GPS and only transfer the waypoints(caches). All the comment information is now all there(up to the 800 character limit, which they say will change with the new firmware they are working on.

I preloaded my entire state from Topo 7 (each state is divided into sections which can be turned on or off in the GPS) into the GPS so all one needs to do is transfer the waypoints(caches).

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions drop me a line. I'm by no means an expert with this thing, but I have to say it beats anything I had.

Paperless caching features are in the works, as are simplified geocache waypoint transfers. I'm not certain, however, if all of the new features will work on the PN-20, or if there will be PN-40 only features.

--Marky

Please allow me to amplify the first phrase: "Additional paperless features are in the works,...."

I don't use paper with either my PN-20 or -40. Nevertheless, there are changes coming soon, the Cache Register widget, that will greatly enhance the current process of downloading the GPX files and getting them on the handheld.