Getting permission for a cache - always done?

Wekiva

New to geocaching here and so far we've found 5 caches. Down the road I'd like to create my own cache but will find a few more to make sure I understand this new hobby.

The one big question I have is about getting permission for the cache. Is this something that is like driving 55...you're suppose to do it but few do? Or is this something that in the geocaching world is a must? One of the caches I've found was in a park where I've dealt w/ the property manager previously and I find it very doubtful that they would have allowed the cache after the trouble they gave me in trying to organize an event there. That cache is what started my suspicion.

I'm not against getting permission and most certainly will for my caches - but was just curious as to how strictly geocachers stuck to this rule.

Thanks

Edited by Wekiva

People ask this from time to time and they get various replies. Some will say anything goes, some will plead for written permission for every single cache, and people will argue about the meaning of terms such as explicit and adequate.

I'll tell you what I really think...I don't base my actions on what someone else does or doesn't do when I'm trying to figure out the right thing to do. Some place just pretty obviously need permission--and I'd ask for permission to put a cache there even if I knew three people before me hadn't --or I'd just skip placing a cache there.

One thing I think most folks don't consider...Sometimes land managers make no sense. One cacher could ask permission and be allowed to place the cache and I could come along right behind them and get turned down. I don't know why. Maybe the other guy is the land manager's brother-in-law, maybe the land manager is getting tired of people asking by the time I get there, maybe he just doesn't like me, maybe there is a new land manager since the first cache was placed. For whatever reason, it sometimes happens that one person gets permission and another doesn't.

Sometimes when you ask permission and other cachers haven't, it causes the caches to be archived. It can happen even if the caches have been there for years with no problems. You might or might not think that is a reasonable consequence that cachers who don't ask for permission just need to deal with, but the fact is, you have to deal with the other cachers in your area--and--you will be blamed (fairly or not) by the caching community for creating animosity with the land manager where there was none before. Getting the oldest caches in town archived probably isn't the best way to endear yourself to the other locals, most of whom haven't even met you yet.

If you have questions about caches hidden in a particular place, you might try emailing the people who have caches there before you contact the land manager. They can often tell you if permission is needed there or if the park has a open door policy for all caches. They can tell you who to contact if you need a permit or permission and whether it's better to offer them peanut brittle or fudge when asking for permission. :D

Edited to add: Welcome to geocaching! Hope you have a great time!

Edited by Neos2

New to geocaching here and so far we've found 5 caches. Down the road I'd like to create my own cache but will find a few more to make sure I under this new hobby.

The one big question I have is about getting permission for the cache. Is this something that is like driving 55...you're suppose to do it but few do? Or is this something that in the geocaching world is a must? One of the caches I've found was in a park where I've dealt w/ the property manager previously and I find it very doubtful that they would have allowed the cache after the trouble they gave me in trying to organize an event there. That cache is what started my suspicion.

I'm not against getting permission and most certainly will for my caches - but was just curious as to how strictly geocachers stuck to this rule.

Thanks

It's been my experience that very few cache owners ask permission.

It's the Big Lie that cachers commit when they check the box stating they have "read and understand the guidelines for listing a cache" which state:

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location.

The very very small percentage of cachers to take the time to read and post to the forums may take time to gain permission, but the vast majority of cache owners just click the box and hit the submit button, permission be damned.

The way I see it, there are a lot of caches placed on private property, where the property owners don't necessarily know about the cache. Do lamp post caches need permission in a Walmart parking lot? I say yes, since Walmart owns that lamp post, so they should have a say whether or not someone is putting something on their property. But I doubt that the Walmart coporate board is scanning the Geocaching.com website finding cache hides on their properties. If someone finds out about a cache on their property, they have every right to have it removed. Some agencies have stated that they allow caches without restrictions. Some require permits, etc. Bottom line, 'you' should do what is right, not what other people tend to 'think' is right.

Follow the rules of the local area. Some public lands require permits or written permission. Some have simple requirements that need to be followed (clear containers, within x feet of a trail etc). Where that is the case follow them closely. Many other public lands are quite cache friendly and do not mind caches. Ask experienced local cachers.

All private property requires permission.

Starbrand has given a good answer. For some specifics about land manager policy in Florida, just follow the link of my name to my profile.

Lots of variations abound.

Near you, for instance, Orange County parks have a fairly restrictive geocaching permit policy, and City of Orlando parks have a "don't ask us - it's legal and we don't want to be bothered" policy.

WELCOME TO GEOCACHING!!! :) And congratulations on your first five caches! You're on the path of the rest of us maniacs!!!

Sadly, I don't think the vast majority of people DO get permission. However, I think it's entirely possible that the park managers who require a permit are checking GC.Com for new caches on their property without an associated permit.

Just 'cuz many are not getting permission doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Just my two cents.

Grigorii Rasputin

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

It's been my experience that very few cache owners ask permission.

It's the Big Lie that cachers commit when they check the box stating they have "read and understand the guidelines for listing a cache" which state:

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location.

The very very small percentage of cachers to take the time to read and post to the forums may take time to gain permission, but the vast majority of cache owners just click the box and hit the submit button, permission be damned.

It's not necessarily a lie. The guidelines say "adequate permission". If the area does not require permission then in theory you have adequate permission for your hide. There are many land managing agencies who know about geocaching on their land, don't care to be regulate it and don't want to be involved with it. Thus they are giving geoaching tacit permission, which would be considered adequate in that situation.