Can a TomTom One do PQs?

wesleykey

I am an avid cacher who now owns 3 GPSr units. My newest unit is a Tom Tom One. I know I can add in coords for caches, but I want to know if I can dump in a PQ like I do into my GArmin 60Cx. I want to use the Tom TOm for getting to the general area, then use the Garmin to make the find. Can I somehow load my PQ from GSAK to the Tom Tom?

Here is a quick link to what I have done with my Tomtom ONE XL.

What I do

I have all the maps and routing capibility in my Garmin Vista HCx that I need to "work the streets", but still prefer the good old Tomtom for those chores. But once I leave the pavement, the Tomtom goes into my back pack for safe keeping, and only gets pulled out for the paperless duties, and to verify that my Garmin isn't "drifting" the coordinates around. I really like the Sirf 111 chip set that Tomtom uses better than the MTK that Garmin uses though!

OK, I see how to Export a POI file from GSAK. Now what do I do with it?

Whatever you want... :D

I use GSAK to "stratify" the caches into traditional, non-traditional and founds.

You create the POI and copy it into your /<country>/ directory on the TomTom

So I've got

Trad.ov2

nontrad.ov2

found.ov2

You then have 3 different bmps ( to indicate the type )

Trad.bmp

nontrad.bmp

found.bmp

On the tomtom go to preferences and somewhere you can show certain types of POIs , tick em and Bob's ya uncle !!

You create the POI and copy it into your /<country>/ directory on the TomTom

On the tomtom go to preferences and somewhere you can show certain types of POIs , tick em and Bob's ya uncle !!

How? Does anyone have a step by step? Click what? Then what? What type of POI is a "certain type"?

I kinda figured that someone would ask about that.

There is a directory (folder) in the Tomtom called "Raster". In that file are kept files that are JPG files, and "SAT" files that are used as background images in the "Browse Map" mode. The JPG files need to be save as 1024 x 694 pixels per inch, and need to have a name that matched their corresponding "SAT" file.

So, the following image (which I named 001.jpg)

001.jpg

Has a coresponding "SAT" file that is just a simple text file (NO formating!!) that looks like this and (named 001.sat

-

The sat file defines the upper left coordinates of the map in the first 2 lines (Longitude first), and then the lower right corner of the map are the 3rd and 4th line (again longitude first). The 5th and 6th lines are zoom scales. and the last 2 lines state the pixel count. I'll see if I can find a link on the Tomtom forums that describe this process in more detail, but as I recall, I pretty much wound up getting proficient at this by trial and error.

Ahh,, found it! Here is the Link

Edited by 1XL-on-XR650L