Garmin Legend problem

thumbs1

I have a Legend mono handheld receiver. Up until now it has worked great! I use it while on my bicycle, motorcycle and of course in my hand while geocaching.

Recently it is going blank at different times. Now always the same interval of time from when I turn it on. It happens in different conditions also. Sometimes on the motorcycle and sometime while in my hand. Normaly the screen goes blank with a long thin vertical line on the screen. The battery indicator shows full battery charge and it will do it after I change batteries also. It makes no difference. I am assuming there is a broken connection somewhere right? Anyone have any ideas?

thanks for the help

Gary

Edited by thumbs1

I had always thought this to be a hardware problem. Fixed by taking the unit apart and reseating the connector between the main board and the display. It seems as of late that the feeling is that this is a software issue. I had hoped that was the case (I have one that exhibits the problem). But I just updated a friend's Legend hoping it would take care of the problem and it did not. Maybe I should try updating mine as well and see if that fixes it. But it still to me seems that it is a hardware issue, and can be temporarily fixed by banging on it.

My computer with the serial port is down so I had to go to my buddies to try the download. I got the download to his computer but I can't get it to transfer to the GPS. Any ideas as to what I am doin wrong? I think I'll try to ge a serial to usb connector in the morning. Problem is the darn adaptor is 35 bucks.

Also what version of winzip do I need? Do I just download the one that has the free trial?

Edited by thumbs1

My computer with the serial port is down so I had to go to my buddies to try the download. I got the download to his computer but I can't get it to transfer to the GPS. Any ideas as to what I am doin wrong? I think I'll try to ge a serial to usb connector in the morning. Problem is the darn adaptor is 35 bucks.

Also what version of winzip do I need? Do I just download the one that has the free trial?

Just run "webupdater" you dont need to unzip anything as it installs directly to the device.