paperless caching.

Bobmo38

I would like to have a car GPS that will do a couple of different things for me. I would like it to have a view looking straight down at the map showing my currewnt location instead of a drivers view of where I am headed. Id also like to be able to load cache locations (just the location) into the unit so my birds eye view would show where I am on the map relative to where caches are located.

I can already do this using a laptop and Delorme Street Atlas. But having a laptop open and in the co-pilots lap is a bit too much. Will any of the Nuvi units do this?

I used to use a c530 and the geocache icons showed but only at a certain detail level. I don't remember which level but don't think if I backed out very far at all they showed. But of course it would drive me to them.

Most car GPS's allow you to change the view so you would have to look at that manual to see. Manuals for all Garmins can be found at Garmin or at GPSNOW.com

My factory, built-in-dash GPS/NAV unit is useless for geocaching (even if I could pick it up and walk around with it).

Although, I have not done it, or seen it, local cachers tell me that they do paperless caching with a Nuvi. Seems that one of the Nuvi models may be worth investigating further.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Not sure but I don't think you can load batches of co-ords into a car unit.

I have been doing some research on this subject, but I have not tried to use GSAK and the macro yet. In fact I just bought a new nuvi 260 and will be trying soon to put the caches into it soon (where is that mini USB cable?). You would think Garmin would include the cable .. Oh well..

Here is a site that might help

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

It is pretty technical but that is the beauty of geocaching.

I have the Nuvi 250w with the Gsak Macro and it works good, And I just picked up The Nuvi 500 at REI for the same price as the 250 and it has all the geocache properties built in, You just have to load in the caches and it does all the paperless stuff from logs to descriptions to hints. Put the 500 on 2D and you can see all the caches around you as you drive down the road.