"send to GPS"

Team-woof

Firstly, WELCOME TO GEOCACHING!!!!!! We are happy and honored to have you with us!!!

Secondly, I love the avatar! I had a black Lab for 11 years. He looked just like that little guy!

With my Garmin GPSMap60cx (and the premium membership) you'll have this kind of information from a GPX file: File location, description, hints, and past logs from other cachers (which can be invaluable if it is a tough cache!).

However, what you can actually store on the GPS is another matter. My GPSr doesn't really store anything more than location, cache name, uhhhhhh, and that's about it. The newer Garmins (newer and more expensive) can hold just about everything that's on the cache page itself (provided you have the premium membership)

I hope this helps! See you on the trails!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

You do not get the .gpx info when you use the "Send to GPS" link.

On the Garmin handhelds (except the lower end Etrex and Gecko models), the "Send to GPS" link sends you the coords; treasure box icon, GC# in the title; and the cache name and owner in the Note/comment field (up to 30 characters).

Edited by Chuy!

Firstly, WELCOME TO GEOCACHING!!!!!! We are happy and honored to have you with us!!!

Secondly, I love the avatar! I had a black Lab for 11 years. He looked just like that little guy!

Thanks. My wife and I added two black labs to our family just after Christmas last year. Not loud, great with the kids. Just big, lovable lugs.

On the Garmin handhelds (except the lower end Etrex and Gecko models), the "Send to GPS" link sends you the coords; treasure box icon, GC# in the title; and the cache name and owner in the Note/comment field (up to 30 characters).

So if I understand correctly, if I upgraded to a GARMIN eTrex Venture HC and hit "send to GPS", it will load the coords and give me a limited note/comment.

My next question would be, is there a unit that will take in more than just 30 characters? Specifically, the hint and recent comments. Are we talking Colorado or Oregon here to get those features?

If you use GSAK to load your GPS and have a 60 series, you can set up GSAK to give you the following information in your "notes" field; GC number, container size, difficulty/terrain, if any TB's/geocoins are supposed to be in the cache, and the last 4 logs.

On my unit the info looks something like this

1.5/1.5 C:R TB:Y FFNX GC1234A which translates to Difficulty and terrain of 1.5, regular container (M is micro, S is small etc) Yes, there is supposed to be a travel bug or coin in there, Found, Found, DNF, Note and the GC code.

So if I understand correctly, if I upgraded to a GARMIN eTrex Venture HC and hit "send to GPS", it will load the coords and give me a limited note/comment.

My next question would be, is there a unit that will take in more than just 30 characters? Specifically, the hint and recent comments. Are we talking Colorado or Oregon here to get those features?

The Etex' beginning with the Venture HC, and the 60x' support customized POIs. It's a specialized waypoint that can hold 44 characters in the title field, and 88 in the note/hint field. You can use MapSource, EasyGPS, GSAK, or other software to customized these fields in a .gpx/.csv file format. If you were a premium member you could manage POI's en masse with pocket queries. Otherwise, you're stuck managing the POIs individually. (Note, you also need POI Loader, a free utility, to download the gpx/csv files.)