Geocoin vs Pathtags

TEAM HARTSOCK

From what i know about them is that the path tags are trackable on another site and geocoins are trackable on GC.com and that is why i am sticking to Geocoins and not Pathtags.

The little tags cost a good 2.00 each to make.

I would rather pay the extra money and to make a real Geocoin and then put a real tracking number on it off GC.COM so everyone can enjoy them.

I think that a person could do Micro Geocoins for about the same price and they would be a lot nicer.

This is just my opinion as i have been looking into all options for some Personal Geocoins.

With the tracking code alone costing 1.50, I don't thing you'll be able to get a Geocoin down to $2

I do realize that and i was keping that seperate.

I have been unable to get around that 1.50 and that is a real important thing so that needs to be figured in later.

Geocoins come in many shapes and sizes...they may or may not be trackable. The other items (pathtags and geotags) come in standard sizes (see below), and both share a common die for one side. Typically, most geocoins have a different deisign on each side (but not always).

Geotags are all a standard size (32 mm), and share a common die on one side. Most of the geotags are trackable on GC.com with a common icon (same icon for all geotags)...however there are some versions that are not (ie: the Geocoinfest version). The other side of the geotag can be customized with your own artwork. It does include a hole so it can be attached to an item.

Pathtags are are a single-sided custom metal tag, 23 mm (about the size of a quarter). They are not typically a traveling item, and are used as signature items or a trade item for collectors. They do have a serial number, unique to each design. It can be registered on the pathtags website, so the owner can track who has found one, and where, but you cannot track its movements like a TB or geocoin. It also has a hole through it, to attach it to something.

We have both a personal coin and multiple Pathtag designs. I love geocoins my self and enjoy the pathtags. My wife is reversed... she is obsessed with pathtags and enjoys geocoins. I don't want to try and promote one or the other as I don't want to get this thread shut down. I just wanted to add to What Dressel Dragons said. She covered pretty much everything. I wanted to add the pricing of pathtags more accuratly. when you order a starter kit and have to pay for your die fee you get 50 pathtags for $100 as you are paying a $50 die fee and $1ea. for the tags. After that the reorder of that same tag is $100 and gets you 100 tags and you can change up the colors all you want as long as the design doesn't change.

I guess there are a couple drawbacks that should be mentioned: You can only get them in Silver, Gold, Copper, and Black Nikel and I think all but Silver cost you $5 more on the order. In terms of enamel you are limited to (and this is only currently) standard PMS colors in soft enamel. They did glitter once as a special and vowed to never do that again as the detail is to small and the margin for error was huge. For halloween they ran a special where you could use Translucent and Glow on your design.

The plus side to Geocoins over pathtags is that all the Metal and Enamel options are available to you which allows for a more unique design but geocoins cost far more (from what I've seen).

I hope my post wont be the reason for shutting this thread down. I just wanted to offer a fair rep. of the pricing.

That's correct, they can also be used in other trading situations like calling cards, they do not have to be in GeoCaches. This topic will probably be shut down soon, since we are not allowed to discuss them here.

Thank you all who responded and to the mods and admins I am sorry, I didn't realize that this was a topic that was taboo.

Personally, from what I have seen on eBay, the coins are much nicer and much more desirable to me than the tags which remind of a zipper pulls for little kids.

My confusion came from the listings on eBay which seem to list both terms in the description.

Thanks again to all!

That's correct, they can also be used in other trading situations like calling cards, they do not have to be in GeoCaches. This topic will probably be shut down soon, since we are not allowed to discuss them here.

Thank you all who responded and to the mods and admins I am sorry, I didn't realize that this was a topic that was taboo.

Personally, from what I have seen on eBay, the coins are much nicer and much more desirable to me than the tags which remind of a zipper pulls for little kids.

My confusion came from the listings on eBay which seem to list both terms in the description.

Thanks again to all!

I personally think it's wrong if someone on eBay is listing both pathtag and geocoin terms in the description. They do not have a single thing to do with each other. I guess it's in the description to bring more hits to their listings - which isn't right. When we list a pathtag on eBay, I worked with my son to make sure that the only mention of geocoin we make is to let folks know that pathtags are not the same and not trackable like geocoins are. I'm guessing we may lose on some bids because of this but I wouldn't feel right someone thinking they are getting an actual geocoin.

I would send the lister an email to let them know it is misleading - because as people mentioned here they are different from geocoins. They are not sold as being the same as geocoins but they are very, very cool...just different.

Edited by Theotokos

Thanks again to all!

I personally think it's wrong if someone on eBay is listing both pathtag and geocoin terms in the description. They do not have a single thing to do with each other. I guess it's in the description to bring more hits to their listings - which isn't right. When we list a pathtag on eBay, I worked with my son to make sure that the only mention of geocoin we make is to let folks know that pathtags are not the same and not trackable like geocoins are. I'm guessing we may lose on some bids because of this but I wouldn't feel right someone thinking they are getting an actual geocoin.

I would send the lister an email to let them know it is misleading - because as people mentioned here they are different from geocoins. They are not sold as being the same as geocoins but they are very, very cool...just different.

Actually, I think of them as a branded geocoin. Geocoins started out being non-trackable signature items of cachers. These, for the most part, are non-GC-trackable signature items of cachers. Most of the tags that I have in my collection are either personal tags or event tags. It is round, it is metal, it is a geocoin! Only smaller and trackable elsewhere, just like some of the earlier geocoins were. The early Texas, California and Canada coins had their own tracking systems.