cell phone

Mousetrap

I don't say much - except to encourage them to keep looking and to contact the owner of the cache. If it is my cache, I might give out a bit of a hint if I know they have looked and filed a DNF previously - or if I can determine they have looked in the right spot and it doesn't sound like it is there any more.

I don't think too much of the PAF networks that seems to have become a "normal" part of caching for so many. I don't call anybody and I don't expect to receive calls from them.

I don't say much - except to encourage them to keep looking and to contact the owner of the cache. If it is my cache, I might give out a bit of a hint if I know they have looked and filed a DNF previously - or if I can determine they have looked in the right spot and it doesn't sound like it is there any more.

I don't think too much of the PAF networks that seems to have become a "normal" part of caching for so many. I don't call anybody and I don't expect to receive calls from them.

That's cool, as cacher or cache owner one can opt out, gotta love a flexible game!

My local Alabama Geocachers Association has a large Phone-a-Friend network, it's a rare week that I don't get ten calls from somebody either wanting a clue or the phone number of the cache owner to get one.

When someone asks me for a clue I ask them "Do you want a clue or do you want to know where it is?" and respond accordingly. Most just want a clue.

If they still can't find it they'll call back and ask where it is.

The AGA has almost a thousand members... I know of only one cache owner who has asked that clues not be given, and then only on one certain cache of his.

If you don't want PAF networks giving each other clues on your cache say so in the description... we'll respect that.

If you don't want PAF networks giving each other clues on your cache say so in the description... we'll respect that.

I'll agree with that, BUT I'll add that it's incredibly anal of anyone to want to have control over another persons find/search ethics.

I hide my caches to be found. If you wanna PAF and rob yourself of that "Ah HA," moment, be my guest. ;)

Personally, I dig the "Ah HA," moments and I have yet to PAF. I have gotten better intelligence at events though and used it on a hunt or revisit.

As with most things in life, it depends. If someone calls me about one of my hides, I'll gladly provide them with whatever amount of information they want, to ensure they get a find. I usually begin these conversations with words to the effect of, "How much help would you like?" This applies to all my caches, including my puzzles. If you want, I have no qualms about straight up giving you the final coords.

If someone calls me about someone else's hide, it would depend on who the hider was. I know most of the hiders around here placed their caches so folks can find them, and have no problems with the phone-a-friend concept. If I'm being called about one of their hides, I'll help out with a nudge. If that doesn't work, I'll suggest they contact the owner. Circumstances may dictate more than a nudge, depending on who is calling and whose cache they are calling about.

I also know of a small handful of cachers who don't appreciate folks giving out hints to their caches. I respect their wishes, and direct anyone who calls for help on these caches to contact the owner, letting them know why I don't feel comfortable giving out hints on that particular cache.

As with most things in life, it depends. If someone calls me about one of my hides, I'll gladly provide them with whatever amount of information they want, to ensure they get a find. I usually begin these conversations with words to the effect of, "How much help would you like?" This applies to all my caches, including my puzzles. If you want, I have no qualms about straight up giving you the final coords.

If someone calls me about someone else's hide, it would depend on who the hider was. I know most of the hiders around here placed their caches so folks can find them, and have no problems with the phone-a-friend concept. If I'm being called about one of their hides, I'll help out with a nudge. If that doesn't work, I'll suggest they contact the owner. Circumstances may dictate more than a nudge, depending on who is calling and whose cache they are calling about.

I also know of a small handful of cachers who don't appreciate folks giving out hints to their caches. I respect their wishes, and direct anyone who calls for help on these caches to contact the owner, letting them know why I don't feel comfortable giving out hints on that particular cache.

Well put, and exactly how I handle the situation.