Help rescue my coin

Theotokos

I have a coin that has been in the hands of a cacher since April. I've emailed them numerous times with no reply. I've posted on the Canadian page to see if anyone knew these folks - no reply. I've asked GS to see if they could contact these folks...they got no reply. They have 2 other coins that have been in their possession for a while too.

Now I know they understand how geocoins work as they stated they would move the coin along. They have a few of their own caches that are still active. They still log into the site but haven't posted in any forums..so I'm guessing it's just to check to logs on the cache pages. Now, I've pretty much given up on ever seeing this coin but it just bothers me to see them logging in and not even a giving a single response. I would be happy just to hear them say they lost it.

Anyway, I was just wondering if it is or isn't appropriate to log a note on their cache pages with regards to a coin in their possession? If not, I'll just move on and forget about the coin. If it is okay I was hoping for one more shot at getting these coins moving. Thanks

It seems odd that they wouldn't respond - if they went through the effort to actually add the coin to their inventory -they probably have/had every intention to move it along. Otherwise they would have just taken it and not logged it.

It's also possible that they have changed their e-mail address and the notes you are sending are bouncing.

If it has been a couple of months - rename the coin to "STOLEN". Then, everytime they log into their profile, the word "STOLEN" will appear in their inventory list.

Maybe they are coping with non caching issues, ill health, family issues, death in the family,

Or maybe they have just lost interest.

I agree with renaming the coin - may not work, but at least it might give you some sense of doing something and it might niggle at them.

Good luck. Sometimes we just have to count what we do have, and forget about the ones we can do nothing about. Tough though.

I had a coin picked up and after a month I e-mailed the cacher who e-mailed back that they had it in their bag. Another month went by and I sent a second e-mail. They answered back that they were staying with a family member who was extremely sick and was receiving respite. They would be doing no caching during this period.

We emailed back and forth for several months. When I received notice that the coin was placed, I felt very sad for the family knowing that they had lost someone dear to them. The coin was in their hand for 6 months and I wish they could have held onto it longer.

In this case they felt free to explain to me but not everyone would feel comfortable explaining to a stranger. THERE'S STILL HOPE FOR YOUR COIN. A friendly reminder every month is certainly appropriate.

What about people who pick up Geocoins and don't log them out. My new coin has not moved 1 mile because of this and despite asking cachers who were at the cache near the time I dropped it off, no sign of it.

Is this an increasing issue of disappearing coins?

It is disappointing because it would be a cacher who found it and they should be aware of what it is all about.

Bernie

My feeling is that if you've contacted them and they said they'd move it, leave it at that. They haven't moved it quickly, but as others have said, there could be reasons not known to you, and really, they shouldn't have to explain their personal problems to someone they don't know, even if they have a coin that you voluntarily placed in a cache.

I've released nearly 100 coins and plenty have gone missing. I ususally send one note and leave it at that. Some of my coins have moved more than a year after being 'missing.'

I don't usually label the coins as STOLEN but choose LOST/MISSING instead.

I use STOLEN if the coin has gone missing without a log. It does get folks attention - and I have actually had some "mysteriously" re-appear. I only go through this exercise every 6 months or so. My thought is that if it hasn't moved in 6 months and if someone has held onto it for 6 months - it's STOLEN.

MISSING seems too "nice" of a word. If the cache is muggled, I suppose it's missing or lost.....

I never thought of renaming a coin STOLEN. I don't think it would work on this one though. A cacher launched a geocoin in our name for our 1000th find and placed it in a cache. Someone created an account, went to the cache, took the coin and has not logged into geocaching since. This happened in 2005.

Hopefully, the OP will get their coin at some point. Good Luck.

I use STOLEN if the coin has gone missing without a log. It does get folks attention - and I have actually had some "mysteriously" re-appear. I only go through this exercise every 6 months or so. My thought is that if it hasn't moved in 6 months and if someone has held onto it for 6 months - it's STOLEN.

MISSING seems too "nice" of a word. If the cache is muggled, I suppose it's missing or lost.....

I agree...I'm not holding my breath that anything will change but it does make me feel a little better ;)

I'm not sure what the situation may be with the cacher but I figure if they are able to log in to the site occasionally, that an email wouldn't be much of an addition stretch to do...no matter what their personal issues if any.