Famous cache nears milestone

JBnW

FWIW, as of today Mingo (GC30), the reported world's oldest active cache, is at 890 finds. Seems the average is one find every couple of days or so. Will probably hit 900 finds early during the Thanksgiving weekend.

Wonder if people will be circling the off-ramp just to be #900 :laughing:

What about "The Original Stash"? I saw a Youtube video showing what I thought was the very first cache (at that time it was called a stash). I believe it was in Washington or Oregon and was placed by David Ulmer:

I was hoping to do that one as my 1000th find (hopefully some time late next year). Am I wrong in thinking that this one is the oldest or is it archived and Mingo stands as the oldest "active" cache?

I just did a quick online search and found this:

Oldest cache list

Explains why Mingo is at the top of the list and why now have to look at booking a ticket for Kansas instead or Oregon. It's a shame, I'd live to log the original as #1000.

I also found this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8c-86dd8b7313ab

Maybe I'm still going to the west coast????????

Edited by nashuan

What about "The Original Stash"? I saw a Youtube video showing what I thought was the very first cache (at that time it was called a stash). I believe it was in Washington or Oregon and was placed by David Ulmer:

I was hoping to do that one as my 1000th find (hopefully some time late next year). Am I wrong in thinking that this one is the oldest or is it archived and Mingo stands as the oldest "active" cache?

It's in Oregon. GC91 hidden in Oct 00

There are 5 remaining caches hidden in 2000 in Oregon. GC12 was hidden on 5/12/00, the day after the cache in Kansas. In Washington, the oldest remaining is GCD hidden 6/21/00. only 3 2000 caches in WA.

All that remains of "The Original Stash" is "The OCB"-Original Can of Beans. I saw that inside a glass case at Geowoodstock near Sacramento, CA this spring.

FYI Dave Ulmer still geocaches from time to time. Apparently he does not log online but I did see his signature in a cache logbook awhile back.

Congrats to the Kansas cachers that have kept this old cache active for 8.5 years.

tomfuller & Quill

Crescent, Oregon

Maybe you could work the timing so you are the 1,000th finder and make it your 1,000th find! That would be fun. :blink:

Oldest cache list

Explains why Mingo is at the top of the list and why now have to look at booking a ticket for Kansas instead or Oregon. It's a shame, I'd live to log the original as #1000.

I also found this:

Awesome, the plaque commemorating the first ever cache is only 36 miles from me, I'l going to be making a trip out there for sure! Thanks for the info! A friend of mine placed GC313 back in February 2001, and that was one of my earliest finds, but I need to go find the plaque for the very first one, can't pass that up!

It's in Oregon. GC91 hidden in Oct 00

GC91 is an archived cache in Connecticut :shocked:

Edited by KJcachers

Oldest cache list

I also found this:

You might also consider going for "The Spot" (GC39). It's in southwestern NY (46 miles from me). It was placed just 2 weeks after Mingo.

A look at the list of caches published during the first month is interesting. In the first 30 days that geocaching existed there were caches placed in Oregon, Washington, California, Kansas, Illinois, Michigan, New York, and Georgia. Countries represented include Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Chili, and the U.S. There is actually an incorrect listing on the "Worlds Oldest 100 Caches" page that lists "England's First" as located in Illinois.