Magellan Crossover

droutt

I have a Magellan Road Mate and I'm curious if it's worth the money to upgrade the software to make it a magellan crossover. I couldn't find much info on the crossovers at all so I bought a Garmin Etrex for geocaching. I'm still wondering about the magellan though. I hope you get some good answers here!

Not sure, I've never used one.

We do, however, have five Meridians in the house!

Most automotive units are rather clumsy to use outside a vehicle, and many are not accurate enough to really do well for geocaching, since they were designed for automotive navigation.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you that any Magellan unit isn't worth the gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe...

Some people use the crossover to geocache, but it is not the easiest gps for that purpose. I bought one just to goof around with. Getting the caches into the unit is a task, doable you just have a bunch of steps to follow. The biggest problem I had with it was when I got within 30-40 ft. of ground zero the unit just quit navigating to the cache. So i would have to hit a few buttons and navigate to the cache again and after a few seconds it would basically say your here.

I used it for 2 different cache hunts and just sold it after that. It is doable, just not practical, for me at least. do a search on "crossover" in here and you'll hit a few threads. JetSkier uses one and he finds it useable with a few "workarounds". If you don't own one already don't get one for the purpose of geocaching. Take a look at the new Nuvi 500 or 550. Same basic concept, only difference is no speech to text.

I have a Roadmate that I updated to a Crossover and have used it a couple of times for geocaching. I will say it is not ideal and prefer using my Oregon (or my Magellan 500LE before that) for caching but if it is all you have it will get you there. It does stop navigating to the spot way to quickly and you may have to navigate to it again to narrow down the location.

As sanramonhunter said, I do have a Crossover and I do use it for geocaching. The biggest problem is that it stops navigating (in outdoor mode) when you get anywhere from 100' to 10' of the cache. It's not consistant as to when it stops, but it does stop. Most caches its not that much of a problem because you can see up ahead where the cache is probably stashed but when in the woods, it's not good. I still own two meridians so sometimes I'll use them when the Crossover stops navigating. All that said ... I would not recommend it for a geocaching unit. I've contacted magellan recently and they've told me that it's out of production so there will not be any firmware updates.

JetSkier

Edited by JetSkier

As sanramonhunter said, I do have a Crossover and I do use it for geocaching. The biggest problem is that it stops navigating (in outdoor mode) when you get anywhere from 100' to 10' of the cache. It's not consistant as to when it stops, but it does stop. Most caches its not that much of a problem because you can see up ahead where the cache is probably stashed but when in the woods, it's not good. I still own two meridians so sometimes I'll use them when the Crossover stops navigating. All that said ... I would not recommend it for a geocaching unit. I've contacted magellan recently and they've told me that it's out of production so there will not be any firmware updates.

JetSkier