Found 2 1/2 on first day.

fixitnick

:) Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I just started Geocaching today (first time) and found 2 caches plus, 1/2 of a multi cache.

I don't have a GPS unit yet but, I do have a gps unit and software on my laptop. It WAS a bit challenging moving around with a laptop but, I really enjoyed it.

Can anyone give good advice on a color GPS unit with topo for around $100-$200. Thanks all.

Happy caching.

I have no idea about GPS units, buy you could go to the GPS forum, they are really nice there and helped a lot! (I now because they helped me with silly questions about mine)

Congratulations, and thanks for the smile that you brought to my face thinking on you cachin with a laptop!

Sometime I feel people looks me like an alien when I walked with the GPS I don't want to imagine the faces for you and your laptop, lol!!

Good luck and have fun!

Welcome to the game! Glad you had fun today. Wish I could help you with the GPS question. I use a nearly four year old Garmin GPSMap 76cs which is waterproof and has a color screen. I paid more for it than your budget but I think the cost has come down a bit. Color isn't the end all, be all so that might be a feature for you to reconsider. The topo will also add to the cost. I have never needed it. My guess is you will be in the used market if you stick with your requirements. Maybe good. Maybe not.

I have probably found about 100 caches without using my GPS and there are many others out there who hunt without the electronics. Some never buy the toy! I like the change of pace and extra challenge that comes from the no GPS hunt from time to time.

You should be able to find a great (new) unit in your price range if you drop the topo requirement.

to get something in that price range with color and topo you're definitely going to be in the Ebay "used" market. Not that there's anything wrong with it! I've been using an eXplorist 500 for a couple of years now with street maps and I love it. You can get them cheap now, but magellan isn't servicing them anymore.

Here's something funny... I just recently got the AT&T internet anywhere thingie. I couldn't find a cache at a beach park so I got out my laptop to read the cache page and previous logs. ALMOST caching with my laptop! :)

Oh, yeah... one more thing. I went to Niceville High School the first year it opened. How about that?

Thank you all for the fast communication. I do stop and laugh now about running around with a laptop but, hey... you got to play the game "right?".

You all have been great on my first post. Thank you everyone. I have some great ideas for handheld unit as well as a great since of the geocaching community.

Thank you all..... over and over.... I'm sure that geocaching is something I will really enjoy getting into.

Thank you all again.