Abram S Hewitt State Forest Sunrise Hike (Monday)

polskikrol

Anyone interested in going on a Sunrise Hike this Monday in northern Abram S Hewitt State Forest? (Working all weekend so taking Monday as a Comp Day.)

The following are the details:

Parking: N 41° 09.455 W 074° 22.041

Time: 6:38 AM ET

Planned Caches (North of Parking):

GCZ73T

GCN0BD

GC3CBF

GCTGDQ

GCGEZH

GC6DB

GC17B8R

Additional Caches (Just South of Parking):

GC1891B

GCZ73M

GCZ6CJ

GCZ6CH

Would be planning on doing the following as well:

- Hiking into NY state and finding the AT Survey Marker near the NJ/NY border

- Signing the AT Log Book at the NJ/NY border

- Hiding a few caches in the empty space (given we are far away from the AT of course)

Any interest?

Well, Monday ended up being quite the nice day for hiking in Hewitt :unsure: The following were the caches in order as they were completed for a nice loop hike which did involve moderate bushwhacking:

Bearfort Ridge (GCN0BD)

Bearfort Waters (GCTGDQ)

New York/New Jersey Multi-State Multi-Cache (GC3CBF)

between 2 views (GC17B8R)

Suprise Cache (GCGEZH)

Lame Roadside Cache #121: Green Brook (GCZ73T)

Happy Anniversary Cache (GCZ6CJ)

Bearfort Vista (GCZ6CH)

Glory!!! (GCZ73M)

on the way to GLORY!!! (GC1891B)

For those that are interested I am also posting my complete track log from the day:

8c752c21-5930-40c1-b44c-bd2b68ff9ecc.jpg

Most interesting wild life I saw was a Melanistic Mutant Pheasant near Stage 1 of New York/New Jersey Multi-State Multi-Cache (GC3CBF).

Edited by polskikrol

As it would so happen, Tuesday was also a good caching day :unsure: Visited the Terrace Pond Section of Wawayanda just south of where I was on Monday. The following are the caches in order as I found them:

Terrace Pond North (GCR849)

Another Passaic County High Point (GC1ANQB)

Terrace Pond (GC3076)

1481 A Passaic County High Point (GC13W97)

The Puddingstone Cache (GCXJ82)

Terrace Pond Adventure Book Cache (GCKA0E)

David (GC15N5K)

How High the Moon (GC1H2VZ)

We don't need no stinkin' badges (GC1C508)

Goliath (GC15N2K)

Terrace Pond South (GC11KV9)

Here is the tracklog should anyone else be interested is doing a similar caching adventure:

8854d61d-a3f5-4323-bddd-4e698834a35e.jpg

Only interesting wildlife I saw was the common Black Bear near How High the Moon (GC1H2VZ). Looked like a big pappa bear so good thing I was up on the ridge looking for benchmarks :D

looks like some great geocaching trips.. I've done both hikes numerous times and they are probably two of the top 5 hikes in New Jersey.

Just curious why you started on Lakeside Dr instead of at the trailhead. Could have save at least a mile of walking.

Actually parked on Warwick Turnpike using the Trailhead closest to Bearfort Ridge (GCN0BD). Had to bushwhack to the White Trail from the road (over Green Brook and the ridge there). Lakeside Drive is where I turned the Garmin GPS on and noticed I was navigating towards the wrong Trailhead :P

Nicely Done! Can you tell me more about this pheasant?

Pheasant was a Melanistic Mutant Pheasant:

This melanistic mutant is a pure breed. These large, beautiful pheasants feature an iridescent, greenish-black plumage. A favorite variety for release, they display a remarkable ability to survive and reproduce in the wild. Prime habitat consists of 55-70 % crop fields such as corn, soybean, or small grains. The remainder of the habitat should include some wetlands, grassland, and woodland or brushy thickets.

Source: Melanistic Mutant (aka Black) Pheasant

Nicely Done! Can you tell me more about this pheasant?

Pheasant was a Melanistic Mutant Pheasant:

This melanistic mutant is a pure breed. These large, beautiful pheasants feature an iridescent, greenish-black plumage. A favorite variety for release, they display a remarkable ability to survive and reproduce in the wild. Prime habitat consists of 55-70 % crop fields such as corn, soybean, or small grains. The remainder of the habitat should include some wetlands, grassland, and woodland or brushy thickets.

Source: Melanistic Mutant (aka Black) Pheasant

I saw some chukars up there on my last visit.