GEOCAC Benchmark

GEO*Trailblazer 1

I was wondering if The New GEOCAC Benchmarks would qualify for a new type EarthCache?

Only 1 has been set as of this date in Arizona.

There are many things about the Earth and Mapping one could learn from these projects.

For all the Maps we use are based on Ground Control (Earth) and Benchmarks (set in Earth).

There is so many things I have learned from spearheading this project.

So I just wanted to throw it out to the community for peer review.

Thanks

GEO*Trailblazer 1

I had thought about this for a while too (a little more generic though - using regular benchmarks)

I started thinking along the lines of getting people to find various benchmarks at certain locations and compare vertical data generated to what they see on their GPS - But I started thinking that it might go a bit too far away from "geology" so i left it on the backburner to think about

I had thought about this for a while too (a little more generic though - using regular benchmarks)

I started thinking along the lines of getting people to find various benchmarks at certain locations and compare vertical data generated to what they see on their GPS - But I started thinking that it might go a bit too far away from "geology" so i left it on the backburner to think about

I was able to incorporate that idea in an EarthCache about groundwater overdraft (The Sinking Oxnard Plain)

Um do you have a link to what you're talking about? I have no idea what this is? I bet others don't either...

Me too.

I tried to add the GEOCAC project but it has images and formatting that I can not get in the forum

Well I don't know how without a lot of work.

Here is a link in the Benchmark forum for more info too.

GEOCAC Project

It also has some e-mails that some may not want as public.

If you are interested in the whole project e-mail me and I will send you a copy.

Yes all grades and stakes are set from a benchmark.

How would they know what the depth and length of tunnels,mines,caves and many others things were otherwise.

How deep is that sinkhole?

What is the distance and elevation change of those petroglyphs?

Is there a pattern to the way the geology twists and turns in the lava?

From the base of that mountian how high is the upliftment of the range?

If you check around You will find US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY discs all obver the nation.

Most Geology projects have controls and they are called benchmarks.

Here is one example.

US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY WAYMARK

It is also what the Topographic Maps were drawn from.

There are so many ways to use them.

edit sp

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

The GEOCAC project is intriging to say the least. It looks like an interesting way to learn more about how benchmarking and geocaching are related. My hat is off to you for your foresight and efforts spearheading this project. I'd like to know more about it and will keep up to date on it now that I know it exists. (email to follow) I'm not sure if these benchmarks will fall into the EarthCache qualifications, but I applaud your efforts and I'm ordering one of the geocoins from C & P to help in a small way.

Maybe I should save all this for the Technical part of the EarthCache if it qualifies but here is some research on the topic.

GEOLOGIC BENCHMARKS GEOLOGIC OBSERVATIONS. Examination of the spatial distribution of moving benchmarks PDF

Here is something that amuses me Geologic Photograpy

You could use the nearby Geologic Benchmarks as reference points as well.

And a WIKI on Geolocating under GEOLOGY and Benchmarking a part of Geocaching.

Could we add EarthCache?

Geological Earth Locating??

Just something to look at.

Just placed my first Earthcache and have submitted it for approval. I had this EXACT same question running through my head, as I will be a part of the California Geocac placement.

I think the Benchmarking and surveying methods are highly informative, so even though I have very few ECs (2...one not logged) I believe the Geocac and relative info regarding Survey Marking in general would provide excellent learning experiences.

Definatley worth submitting! Just enshure that there is a learning experience involved aswell as a task to be completed that will entail learning.

I wouldnt assume that the marker itself OR a container within the station would be isolated from the EC listing.

So glad this question was asked! :D