How long does it take to create a coin?

Zarya.

I just can't seem to stop thinking of designing and minting a coin I can call my own, after becoming infatuated with geocoins. I've scribbled several designs all over my books and papers, and drafted afew of them onto a graphics editor. What I'm concerned about, however, is how long it would take to mint one, from conception to the actual sale. What is the process like? Does it take months? Years? How many?

The biggest show-stopper in my geocoin-making dreams is that for all of next year, I will be travelling long-haul, spending no more than 2-3 months in any particular location.

I would essentially have no permanent address for the year and I'm afraid samples or correspondence from the manufacturer would simply leave a trail of debris behind me as I state-hop. The last time I did this, I left a trail of amazon.com books delivered to my ghost days after I departed in 5 cities across 3 countries, and half of them are still in between nowhere and book heaven. I sure as heck don't want my first geocoin project to suffer the same fate.

Is it even possible to hope that a coin project can be accomplished within a couple months, leaving the rest to the mint? What kind of timeline would I be facing with which manufacturers? Is is more expensive to do things faster?

I hope some of you experienced coin-makers out there can help answer some of my questions, or give a general idea what I'd be looking at.

Thanks in advance~

As a first timer why would you want to work directly with the mint? There are some great vendours on the Groundspeak approved list that can shepherd your project along, receive samples to pass on to you when you know where you'll be long enough to have them sent to you and do the same with final product. Contact a bunch of them and see who you like best to work with.

As a first timer why would you want to work directly with the mint? There are some great vendours on the Groundspeak approved list that can shepherd your project along, receive samples to pass on to you when you know where you'll be long enough to have them sent to you and do the same with final product. Contact a bunch of them and see who you like best to work with.

WOW really,,ill keep that in mind!!!

when i find that pot of gold to pay for it all,,heheee :)

Do you have access to the internet while you are traveling?

If you have consistant access then minting a coin through one of the companies that helps people do coins shouldn't be an issue. The samples and correspondence would then go to the company that is coordinating with the mint and they would forward email questions to you.

If you are going to be all over the place you may not want to try and go at it alone for the first try!

Our first coin took a little over 10 weeks, we have had some coins take 4 weeks and some take considerably longer! It really varies depending on how difficult your design is, how many changes have to be made and how quickly you respond to those changes from the mint.

Last night I was up until almost 3 emailing back and forth with the mint about a design issue on one of our upcoming coins. Had I not been up and available to respond to questions it could have easily added a week to the timeline (because of the time difference- responding to one question a day instead of staying up most of the night and answering them all at once!)

I would agree, the vendors will be able to keep things in line for you. They already know all the pitfalls to look for, and will be able to hold things for you and ship express when you're ready in one place for a few days. It will add a some to the cost, but their service is well worth it.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Just to clarify a misunderstanding, yes, I have always fully intended to work with a vendor - aren't they referred to as "manufacturers approved by Groundspeak"?

To rephrase, all my questions are really asking: what kind of process timeline should I expect with vendors?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Just to clarify a misunderstanding, yes, I have always fully intended to work with a vendor - aren't they referred to as "manufacturers approved by Groundspeak"?

To rephrase, all my questions are really asking: what kind of process timeline should I expect with vendors?

I think the confusion came from the difference between "Vendors" and "Manufacture" the Vendors are usually in the middle between you and the mint(the manufacturer). Anyway, I'm looking at at least three months, and I'm on the road in a Big Truck. This has certainly been the cause of some extra time. My coin is not highly detailed, so this has certainly made it faster. As others have said, getting the artwork details settled will take most of the time.

Keep in mind that this is my first coin(besides a group project), so I only have this once to learn from.