Travel Bug Software

Stompy

I have just created a personal TB to log in and out of caches as I find them - as I meet other cachers as I'm out I will give them the number and ask them to discover it. Is there any way to sort the log data by type of log e.g. by "discovered it" or by "retrieved it" etc. Does any one know of a way to it online or through any sortware?

What I understand from your post is that you have a TB that will travel around with you wherever you go. You will not be placing it in a cache for others to take and move along. In other words it will be "discovered" by other cachers only. Therefore you will not have cachers "retrieving" the TB as it will always be in your possession. Because of that you will only see "discovered it" in the TB logs so there will be no need to sort the logs as you say. I hope that I understood you correctly.

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my post, I do apologise. There are two parts to the misson

Part 1) To accompany me on all my geocaching expeditions and

Part 2) To be "discovered" by other geocachers that we meet along the way.

so for the first part, I will "drop" if off into the cache I visit as I log the cache find and then straight away "retrive" again.

for part 2, you are correct that it will be "discovered" but because it is a two part mission there will be several different types of logs recorded.

Thats a shame - may be something to consider for the future. It would be good to be able to filter the logs for th Trackables that you own in the same way that you can for the ones you have retrieved or discovered from other cachers.

That sounds interesting. How do you filter the logs?

That sounds interesting. How do you filter the logs?

Click on "My Account" then under the heading "My Logs (last 30 days)" click on "Show all logs for "Bugs" you can then click on the following filters

"Discovered it"

"Dropped off"

"Grab it"

"Retrieve it from a cache"

You can also do the same for caches and bench marks - it's quite neat, but a pity that the same filtering can't done on your own bugs and caches

May I ask what results you are looking for? I mean since this is a personal TB are you primarily interested in seeing a list of people who Discovered your bug? I'm not sure how seeing Placed or Retrieved logs would be interesting, although it would be interesting to see all the folks who logged a traveling bug.

We can always ask for development over in the website forum but I want to be clear on what you are wanting to see.

May I ask what results you are looking for? I mean since this is a personal TB are you primarily interested in seeing a list of people who Discovered your bug? I'm not sure how seeing Placed or Retrieved logs would be interesting, although it would be interesting to see all the folks who logged a traveling bug.

We can always ask for development over in the website forum but I want to be clear on what you are wanting to see.

yes, I am interested in being able to get a quick list of those who discovered it, in this case the the only person logging it in and out will be me.

yes, I am interested in being able to get a quick list of those who discovered it, in this case the the only person logging it in and out will be me.

Im actualy a web designer, and write software for the fun of it (iv done an A-level in it). If you explain what you mean exactly about sorting it I could have a go at writing a program that could sort it for you, obviously for free and everything. Geocaching and writing programs are my hobbies XD

Im actualy a web designer, and write software for the fun of it (iv done an A-level in it). If you explain what you mean exactly about sorting it I could have a go at writing a program that could sort it for you, obviously for free and everything. Geocaching and writing programs are my hobbies XD

I'm not sure what else to add really.

I want to some how be able to seperate the the different types of logs for trackables. so that I can get a list of cachers that discovered it, cachers who retrieved it and cachers who grabbed it.

For each, I just need a list that has the date, the cacher and a link to the log. that's it really, nothing too complicated. I hope that helps - it will be good if you can do anything.

I'm not sure what else to add really.

I want to some how be able to seperate the the different types of logs for trackables. so that I can get a list of cachers that discovered it, cachers who retrieved it and cachers who grabbed it.

For each, I just need a list that has the date, the cacher and a link to the log. that's it really, nothing too complicated. I hope that helps - it will be good if you can do anything.

give me a couple of months, and I'l be posting some stuff as a reply to this thread, and no doubt a new thread, no promises, but I will try my best!

Um, then why not just use Excel and do something like what I've done for 4 particular travel bugs and a cache in a spreadsheet that you can see somewhere on my webpage. Strictly speaking that's not scraping since it was not an automated process to get the info, I think!

Something like your finders log is what I'm after - how did you import that tab into the excel?

Before anyone goes ahead and puts together any kind of software at all, please be sure that you have read and understood the Terms Of Use for this website. Particularly section 5.

5. Access and Interference

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (:D interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site.

And now, since this is not a TB issue, and really is more of an issue for the geocaching.com website developers, I am moving this to the geocaching.com website forums.

Something like your finders log is what I'm after - how did you import that tab into the excel?

Cut, Paste, Edit, Manipulate,...

I don't see groundspeak allowing or creating something like a Pocket Query for Travel Bugs and GeoCoins. I just don't see a need for it. Some info about travel bug movements does appear in standard PQ's, at least the current location of bugs are part of the GPX file.

Cut, Paste, Edit, Manipulate,...

I don't see groundspeak allowing or creating something like a Pocket Query for Travel Bugs and GeoCoins. I just don't see a need for it. Some info about travel bug movements does appear in standard PQ's, at least the current location of bugs are part of the GPX file.

A basic excel import of the logs did cross my mind as well. If you do it enough the steps to get your results gets easier but still, -tedious.

I would like to see some upgrades towards being able to do better bug searching. You can search by name or by nearest but you can't do both. And it would be nice to be able to search by keyword in the Mission and Description fields.

As for what the OP is looking for; I wouldn't mind seeing an option either directly on the Bug page or on My page that gave details for the bugs I Own, similar to the log details I can get for the bugs I have Found.

Show: Dropped off, Grab it (not from a cache), Retrieve it from a cache, Write note, All Logs.

And maybe add an option for 'Who', click the link and it gives a list of finders, maybe linking to their profile.

I would like to see some upgrades towards being able to do better bug searching. You can search by name or by nearest but you can't do both. And it would be nice to be able to search by keyword in the Mission and Description fields.

As for what the OP is looking for; I wouldn't mind seeing an option either directly on the Bug page or on My page that gave details for the bugs I Own, similar to the log details I can get for the bugs I have Found.

Show: Dropped off, Grab it (not from a cache), Retrieve it from a cache, Write note, All Logs.

And maybe add an option for 'Who', click the link and it gives a list of finders, maybe linking to their profile.

All are good things I'd like to see.

Perhaps if http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=184785 were implemented they could make the different icons such as (retrieved, placed, grabbed, discovered, note...) actually pull up just all of those type of logs. Such a thing would also be nice on geocache pages, as it's a logical extension of this if it were implemented.