caches and a Ipod Itouch

I want to get a itouch, but can I load caches with everything on it? I use GSAK and use cachmate fot my palm and pocket pc.

not sure how helpfull im about to be but here i go anyway.

got my iphone 3g less than a week ago, never heard of geocaching untill yesterday, and using it and nothing else have notched up 5 finds in 24 hours. i use the official Groundspeak geocaching apps from itunes, a reasonable 5 or 6 pounds sterling, and i gotta say its nice to be able to be spontanous about this. i dont have to plan my trips, i have web and google maps at hand, and the user interface of the app is very very user friendly and intuitive.

hope you found that some use.

I have an Ipod Touch 2g and parts of the Groundspeak application will NOT work since the Touch does not have GPS capability. However, it can load the .Gpx files into the Touch and you will have access to the Description, some logs and the hint. This may help as a Bridge to your GPS. I hope this helps. ;)

Thanks, but I need to know if this works before I buy one.

I have an Ipod Touch 2g and parts of the Groundspeak application will NOT work since the Touch does not have GPS capability. However, it can load the .Gpx files into the Touch and you will have access to the Description, some logs and the hint. This may help as a Bridge to your GPS. I hope this helps. ;)

Thats what I needed to know. Will it show the desc., hints? I want to load this for paperless.

My understanding of the specs is that it will. You have to have some WiFi access though plus the $10 GeoCaching software.

Thats what I needed to know. Will it show the desc., hints? I want to load this for paperless.

My understanding of the specs is that it will. You have to have some WiFi access though plus the $10 GeoCaching software.

I have an Ipod Touch 2g and parts of the Groundspeak application will NOT work since the Touch does not have GPS capability. However, it can load the .Gpx files into the Touch and you will have access to the Description, some logs and the hint. This may help as a Bridge to your GPS. I hope this helps. :)

What software? Tell me where to get it.

Thanks

1)Buy Ipod Touch, Buy the cheapest one if you don't want to us the Ipod for any other reason.

2)Download Itunes'

3)From Itunes, use the Itunes store to buy the Application "Geocaching" for about 10 bucks.

I do not personally use this program and it won't do everything it is capable of with an Iphone 3G but it seems like it will to quite a lot. You need to have a wifi connection to use it.

So what do I have to do?

I have an Itouch and I don't understand why you need the Apple Program for $10.00 if you just have to get Long/Lat coorinates, description of cache and logs. Can't you just log onto the geocache websight with Itouch and find caches like you would on your home computer? Is there something else the Apple software does that I don't know?

Don

I have an Itouch and I don't understand why you need the Apple Program for $10.00 if you just have to get Long/Lat coorinates, description of cache and logs. Can't you just log onto the geocache websight with Itouch and find caches like you would on your home computer? Is there something else the Apple software does that I don't know?

Don

In order for the ipod touch to work for retriving cache information... you have to be near a wifi spot, something you cant do in the woods or on the side of the road. Iphone will do that because its internet works if you have a cell signal.

The geocaching software for $10 (made by geocaching.com - NOT by apple - apple just sells it) presents you with a much more concise listing of caches. It eliminates a lot of stuff on the web site, making loading much faster. Navigating through caches and travel bugs works quickly...You can "save" caches in its database as well. It will find caches near your current location by default, but their is an option to search by city or zip code. You have all the hints, the full description, and several logs, much like cachemate, if you ever used that.

I used it in the field this weekend, and found five caches in an afternoon, spread across maybe twenty miles. It will also filter out your finds if you tell it too.

The iphone GPS sucks a**... I still use my old magellan sporttrak, which works fine. The google maps in the iphone are much nicer, too, in color.

I have the 2nd generation touch and gsak as well. Im ok to download an app. But my guestion is does any one know what if any apps you can use the GPX files? I don't want an application that only works when I have a wifi connection, so looking for an ap that can take gpx files and search for and display info like cachemate does.

When finding caches on the ITouch , through the Geocache website, is there a way to download caches directly into a Garmin Nuvi?

Which software do I need and is there a wire that will connect ITouch with Garmin Nuvi 500?

I tried to download "Garmin Communcator Plugin Software 2.6.2" into ITouch but Safari says the download can't be done.

Help

Don

When finding caches on the ITouch , through the Geocache website, is there a way to download caches directly into a Garmin Nuvi?

Which software do I need and is there a wire that will connect ITouch with Garmin Nuvi 500?

I tried to download "Garmin Communcator Plugin Software 2.6.2" into ITouch but Safari says the download can't be done.

Help

Don

I have a first generation Touch. With the most recent update to the geocaching app, it works... barely. The touch doesn't have a GPS, but it can use the WiFi to pull approximate coordinates. I haven't experimented with the location finding while not connected to an access point, but unless you are logged in, you won't be able to pull any data.

So, if you can find an open access point near where you're caching, the Touch will pull the cache pages you need.