The Ultimate 5/5

George1

Having done a Pocket Query for 5/5s within 100 miles of Central PA I thought others might be interested in the Ultimate 5/5 here in Central PA. While the other 5/5s have difficulties this multi combines almost everything in Geocaching. Without a doubt this is the Ultimate 5/5 in this part of the country created by Mountain Cowboy.

Please no negative comments. If you don’t choose to do this then you don’t have to! Others might be interested in challenging themselves. I know I had to try it and our team got a FTF. The youngest member of the team was 54 and the oldest 70. Surely there must be some young Pups that might want to test themselves.

This Cache will test you to the limits of your physical and mental abilities. Special equipment and skills are involved as well as a great deal of your time. It took our team 4 days of physical torture and at least 5 to 7 days of mental anguish to complete the challenge over the course of about 2 weeks. The 4 days of physical torture is only because we came prepared. If you don’t have a good Cache Bag it will take you longer. As the Cache page says “come prepared”

I can tell you I’m glad it’s over and I’m glad I did it. Do I want to do it again? Well let’s just say I’m getting too old for this.

My hat is off to the team of Mountain Cowboy for creating the Ultimate 5/5. You guys had to go through some torture to set it up as well. You are the most devious pair of Cachers I know. Kudos to you.

Here is the link to:The Easy Cache

398670785_vEpVD-L.jpg

I heard there was one 5/5 that required the use of a nuclear-contamination suit. It'll take a bit more to intimidate me after that one.

First, my congratulations to the OP for their find on the new 5/5 cache in Central PA! It sounds like you all had a lot of fun!

Next, in response to MountainRacer's comment:

That cache would be my Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations, but allow me to share several caveats and a correction to your post with you:

• it is the third/final stage of this cache that requires use of a thin and flexible and inexpensive Tyvek protective bunny suit and a PAPR respirator.
  • a Tyvek protective bunny suit is technically not a radiation-protection suit nor a so-called "nuclear-contamination" suite, and rather, the main role of a Tyvek protective bunny suit with PAPR respirator is to protect the wearer against airborne harmful microbes, gases, particulates, and against substances, including disease microbes, liquids, solids, powders and dusts, in the environment, such as on surfaces or objects or on floors.
  • the cache description page makes clear that while use of a Tyvek protective bunny suit with PAPR respirator is required for tackling the third/final stage of PUC #9, it is strongly NOT recommended that seekers attempt to wear any of the much bulkier, much heavier, and much more more expensive lead-lined radiation protection suits, as such suits are not only insanely expensive and heavy and cumbersome to wear, but, due to the lead lining, wearing such a suit would actually aggravate harmful radiation exposure, due to the fact that much of the radiation present at the site is high energy beta radiation, and it is well-known that when high-energy beta radiation strikes a lead shield, it decays, via Bremstrahllung reactions, into a very harmful form of gamma radiation, and so this secondary radiation emission ultimately does far more harm to the body than if the wearer were not wearing a lead-lined suit.
  • As the cache listing page makes clear, PUC #9 is NOT a stand-alone cache which may be tackled by anyone who wishes, and rather, access to the final two stages of the cache is limited only to those cachers who have met a number of prerequisite requirements put in place for screening purposes, and these requirements include some which specify that any prospective finder must first have found a certain number of other Psycho Urban Caches, or at least certain specific Psycho Urban Caches or Psycho Backcountry caches. The purpose of the prerequisite screening requirements is to ensure that unqualified persons will not and cannot access the last two stages of the cache, for their own protection.

Hope this helps!

First, my congratulations to the OP for their find on the new 5/5 cache in Central PA! It sounds like you all had a lot of fun!

Next, in response to MountainRacer's comment:

That cache would be my Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations, but allow me to share several caveats and a correction to your post with you:

• it is the third/final stage of this cache that requires use of a thin and flexible and inexpensive Tyvek protective bunny suit and a PAPR respirator.
  • a Tyvek protective bunny suit is technically not a radiation-protection suit nor a so-called "nuclear-contamination" suite, and rather, the main role of a Tyvek protective bunny suit with PAPR respirator is to protect the wearer against airborne harmful microbes, gases, particulates, and against substances, including disease microbes, liquids, solids, powders and dusts, in the environment, such as on surfaces or objects or on floors.
  • the cache description page makes clear that while use of a Tyvek protective bunny suit with PAPR respirator is required for tackling the third/final stage of PUC #9, it is strongly NOT recommended that seekers attempt to wear any of the much bulkier, much heavier, and much more more expensive lead-lined radiation protection suits, as such suits are not only insanely expensive and heavy and cumbersome to wear, but, due to the lead lining, wearing such a suit would actually aggravate harmful radiation exposure, due to the fact that much of the radiation present at the site is high energy beta radiation, and it is well-known that when high-energy beta radiation strikes a lead shield, it decays, via Bremstrahllung reactions, into a very harmful form of gamma radiation, and so this secondary radiation emission ultimately does far more harm to the body than if the wearer were not wearing a lead-lined suit.
  • As the cache listing page makes clear, PUC #9 is NOT a stand-alone cache which may be tackled by anyone who wishes, and rather, access to the final two stages of the cache is limited only to those cachers who have met a number of prerequisite requirements put in place for screening purposes, and these requirements include some which specify that any prospective finder must first have found a certain number of other Psycho Urban Caches, or at least certain specific Psycho Urban Caches or Psycho Backcountry caches. The purpose of the prerequisite screening requirements is to ensure that unqualified persons will not and cannot access the last two stages of the cache, for their own protection.

Hope this helps!

I made my post vague on purpose. First, I love hearing good caching stories, and since I know I'd probably never get to go for any of the PUC series, I figured I could at least get you to weigh in with some fun facts. Second, I was actually referring to the infamous Chernobyl multi in my comment about the radiation suit. It's a secret cache within the Zone of Alienation; one must attach a magnet to a string and fish it down an old reactor cooling tower until the cache leaps out. After all, in Soviet Russia, cache finds you.

Also, congrats to the OP on having a heck of an experience in PA; like I said, I do like a good story, and I did not leave that cache page disappointed.

Spent a couple of years living in Coburn - hmmm maybe next summer break I can take a trip down memory lane. On a side note I really miss Penns Creek and playing around in the mountains, there are some great locations in central PA.

I remember climbing to the top near this cache

Edited by bogleman

Spent a couple of years living in Coburn - hmmm maybe next summer break I can take a trip down memory lane. On a side note I really miss Penns Creek and playing around in the mountains, there are some great locations in central PA.

That's one of his easier hides. Terrain, well let's just say we went up and down several times. I just got lucky and made a sweep with my hand UNDER and came up with the find. Leaf cover this time of the year make it very hard. HINT!! :grin:

Edited by George1

That's one of his easier hides. Terrain, well let's just say we went up and down several times. I just got lucky and made a sweep with my hand UNDER and came up with the find. Leaf cover this time of the year make it very hard. HINT!! :laughing:

Hey no dropping hints! :D