Ability to change Cache Types

Durango633

It is possible for a reviewer to change a cache type.

However, as KoosKoos just said, if, for example, you hide a multi-cache, and then later decide to just post the final coords, and change the type to traditional - the stats of the finders of the multi-cache will now show traditional. Better to archive and start over.

Reviewers can change cache types. Cache owners cannot. I can give three reasons off of the top of my head.

Sometimes cache owners change caches, which can circumvent the review process. A traditional cache could suddenly become a multicache with the final stage in a banned area. The owner gets it listed as a traditional and then quickly changes it to a multi. It's happened.

With the new challenge caches out there, changing a cache type might impact the lists that other cachers have put together for those challenge caches.

If the cache is changing, it needs to be reviewed again. The changes need to be checked. If you change from a traditional to a multi/puzzle, your final might be right next to another multi/puzzle final location or stage and you might not even know it. That has also happened and causes confusion. It is also a new cache, new experience as has already been noted. It is best to re-list it.

A few suggestions:

1. You'll need to archive the old listing before submitting the new one.
  2. I'd suggest using a new date (the date of the cache change) rather than the old one. This helps avoid confusion from past finders wondering about the date at the top of the page.

Quiggle

Edited by Quiggle

Other reviewers have confirmed the advice I gave when we exchanged e-mails about this question on Sunday. I would have been happy to provide a more detailed explanation, but this forum thread has done a fine job of that.

I will go ahead and archive your multicache now. I see you have a replacement cache page all ready to go. Enable it when you're ready and I'll be delighted to publish the new traditional cache.

Sometimes cache owners change caches, which can circumvent the review process. A traditional cache could suddenly become a multicache with the final stage in a banned area. The owner gets it listed as a traditional and then quickly changes it to a multi. It's happened.

This has actually happened to me before! In my case it was the other way around....I had a multi published, and before someone had the chance to find it, the first stage got muggled. That was not a result of me hiding the cache poorly the first time, it was because of a few other issues. But due to that incident, I decided to change the listing from a multi to a traditional. The final stage of the former multi became the cache to find for the traditional type. In this case, the reviewer was more than happy to change it for me.

It happened to me again another time, except it was a mistake on my part. I wanted it to be a letterbox, and I accidently listed it as a traditional. I contacted the reviewer about it, and it was changed in no time at all.

In most cases however, if the cache has been active for an extended period of time.....I would strongly suggest just archiving the old listing and submitting a new listing with the new type.