Multi Cache Question?

georooks

So I would like to set a few caches out as a multi cache, I seem to be a little foggy.

My plan was to give the first one which will have the coords for the second one for them to key in manually. From the second one it will be the same, have the coords for them to key in manually.

Do I post a cache for each stage or is it all considered one cache? How do I hide the coords for the actual location so that they will have to key them in to find it??

Thanks,

Rooks

So I would like to set a few caches out as a multi cache, I seem to be a little foggy.

My plan was to give the first one which will have the coords for the second one for them to key in manually. From the second one it will be the same, have the coords for them to key in manually.

Do I post a cache for each stage or is it all considered one cache? How do I hide the coords for the actual location so that they will have to key them in to find it??

Thanks,

Rooks

You can make the first one a traditional and the next two multicaches like these.
Nice Trailgators, thanks. I guess it just is not going to work like I thought it might? So how did you make the hyperlink to the geocaches so that they can just click on it??

Rooks

You don't have to do it that way. You could also make a single multicache.

To learn how to do the links look at the source for the caches that I sent to you. Make sure you check the html box when you make the cache page.

Thanks,

Rooks

If "A" leads to "B" leads to "C", that's considered a single multi-cache. You would submit it as a single cache page, with the Multi-cache type. Use the Waypoint link on the cache page to record the coordinates for all the stages except the first.

Do I post a cache for each stage or is it all considered one cache?

It's one cache; a single multi-cache listing. The coords for the first stage are at the top of the cache listing

How do I hide the coords for the actual location so that they will have to key them in to find it??

At the first stage coordinates you hide something with coordinates on/in it. There's also an option to direct the cacher to some existing numbers/ letters and formula for working out a new set of coords from that*

You can have as many stages as you want; though I'd suggest that each stage serve a purpose; either for navigation ( to keep cachers on trail, or show them a route ) or to bring the cacher to some view or object worth the visit. Stages for the sake of stages will not endear you to many seekers.

In my area, a common multi stage container is a matchsafe. The coordinates are generally written in black permanent marker on a small piece of PVC that fits inside, and often also are on the outside, on a label or written directly on the exterior. The external writing will weather and become unreadable after a year or two, but having them inside and out means two cachers can handle and load coords at once. One of the most popular multi caches in Florida uses full sized ammo cans at each stage. This takes hunting a micro in the woods out of play, and makes those stages both more likely to survive and easier finds.

*this is an off-set multi cache here are the directions from one of mine:

The first stage coords are for a sign on the southeast side of the old Foster (sometimes called Henley) bridge. You'll need to get a couple of numbers from it to fill in the blanks:

Stage 2 N28° 23.88A W82° 07.93B.

A=the last digit of the Broad Street address - 3

B=the first digit of the F.S. Charter - 3

Filling in that simple formula generates coords for a nearby ammo can - placed above the average late summer flood level. I did the cache this way to make it more flood proof. The sign referenced has survived the severe hurricane flooding; anything I placed there might not.

I have a similar series along the regular 300km (180 mile) route I travel between work and home. 17 caches in all, one at each end of the trip. Each of the 15 caches in between has a clue to each of the 2 end caches. You obtain all the clues from the 15 caches, apply a mathematical equation, that leads to the final cache at the appropriate end. Each of the 15 caches were published as ordinalry caches, and the 2 end ones were published as mystery caches. Each of the 15 intermediate caches takes you to an interesting feature along the route.

Cheers

Bundy

Thanks,

Rooks

You can make the first one a traditional and the next two multicaches like these.

Those aren't a multi-cache, those are traditionals that just happen to be a series.

If you go to cache A and it's got coords for cache B, that's a multi-cache, listed as ONE cache. I know there are a couple around here that were listed as multi although there's one container, just because it's a series. But that's not the way it is supposed to be. The caches you referenced are a bad example as they're old and guidelines have changed over the years.

Thanks,

Rooks

Those aren't a multi-cache, those are traditionals that just happen to be a series.

If you go to cache A and it's got coords for cache B, that's a multi-cache, listed as ONE cache. I know there are a couple around here that were listed as multi although there's one container, just because it's a series. But that's not the way it is supposed to be. The caches you referenced are a bad example as they're old and guidelines have changed over the years.

I think maybe you misunderstood how those caches work. "Uno" is clearly a traditional cache because the actual coordinates take you right to that cache. "Dos" is a two stage multi with "Uno" as the starting point and "Dos" as the final stage. "Tres" is a two stage multi with "Dos" as the starting point and "Tres" as the final stage. These caches simply provided a clever way to let people log each stage.
I think maybe you misunderstood how those caches work. "Uno" is clearly a traditional cache because the actual coordinates take you right to that cache. "Dos" is a two stage multi with "Uno" as the starting point and "Dos" as the final stage. "Tres" is a two stage multi with "Dos" as the starting point and "Tres" as the final stage. These caches simply provided a clever way to let people log each stage.

How many containers are there?

There are three final containers. Two of the final containers serve as the first waypoint for the next final in the series.

There are three final containers. Two of the final containers serve as the first waypoint for the next final in the series.

If you go to Uno, and get coords to one single container which is called Dos, which then has coords for one single container called Tres, that's a SINGLE multi-cache, with 3 stages. Dos, from what it sounds like, is a bonus cache for finding Uno, and would be a mystery cache. Tres is a bonus cache for finding Uno and then Dos, and would also be listed as a mystery cache since you cannot find it without finding the other two.

As I said before, older caches like those are bad examples to use as far as how to set up a multi-cache today.

Edited by Quiggle

If you go to Uno, and get coords to one single container which is called Dos, which then has coords for one single container called Tres, that's a SINGLE multi-cache, with 3 stages. Dos, from what it sounds like, is a bonus cache for finding Uno, and would be a mystery cache. Tres is a bonus cache for finding Uno and then Dos, and would also be listed as a mystery cache since you cannot find it without finding the other two.

As I said before, older caches like those are bad examples to use as far as how to set up a multi-cache today.

The OP wrote:

So I would like to set a few caches out as a multi cache, I seem to be a little foggy. My plan was to give the first one which will have the coords for the second one for them to key in manually. From the second one it will be the same, have the coords for them to key in manually. Do I post a cache for each stage or is it all considered one cache? How do I hide the coords for the actual location so that they will have to key them in to find it??
My comments were made to point out that there are many creative things that the OP could do besides a basic multicache with multiple stages leading to a final. So I gave an example of a cache series hidden by a very knowledgeable cacher that made something very unique at the time that let people log each stage. They were very fun caches. To my knowledge caches like this are still OK. If there is a guideline issue I would sure like to know which guideline it doesn't follow. Edited by TrailGators
My comments were made to point out that there are many creative things that the OP could do besides a basic multicache with multiple stages leading to a final. So I gave an example of a cache series hidden by a very knowledgeable cacher that made something very unique at the time that let people log each stage. They were very fun caches. To my knowledge caches like this are still OK. If there is a guideline issue I would sure like to know which guideline it doesn't follow.

Many creative things can be done outside the guidelines. :D Again, the series you linked to is over 5 years old, so things are bound to change. You could link to a virtual or locationless cache, but it still won't get published. The multi-cache guidelines state that the posted coordinates are for the first stage. I'm not arguing that the cache series you referenced was okay in 2003 (I wasn't a reviewer then, though I was caching), but it's not a good example to direct a new cacher to when caches set up like that don't meet current guidelines, which is what their cache submission will be reviewed in accordance with.

What the OP needs to do, based on what they've stated as their idea for a cache, is submit ONE listing, with the posted coordinates as the first container (or a plaque or whatever if the situation warrants it), and include additional waypoints for each of the additional stages, including the final.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

:blink:

My comments were made to point out that there are many creative things that the OP could do besides a basic multicache with multiple stages leading to a final. So I gave an example of a cache series hidden by a very knowledgeable cacher that made something very unique at the time that let people log each stage. They were very fun caches. To my knowledge caches like this are still OK. If there is a guideline issue I would sure like to know which guideline it doesn't follow.

Many creative things can be done outside the guidelines. :D Again, the series you linked to is over 5 years old, so things are bound to change. You could link to a virtual or locationless cache, but it still won't get published. The multi-cache guidelines state that the posted coordinates are for the first stage. I'm not arguing that the cache series you referenced was okay in 2003 (I wasn't a reviewer then, though I was caching), but it's not a good example to direct a new cacher to when caches set up like that don't meet current guidelines, which is what their cache submission will be reviewed in accordance with.

What the OP needs to do, based on what they've stated as their idea for a cache, is submit ONE listing, with the posted coordinates as the first container (or a plaque or whatever if the situation warrants it), and include additional waypoints for each of the additional stages, including the final.

:blink:

Thanks. Yes, it does for the most part. So just to clarify one more thing, if Uno, Dos, Tres were listed today then Dos and Tres would have to be listed as mystery caches because of that phrase in the guidelines (I have no idea if it is old or new). If that were done than this type of series would be perfectly OK. Correct? Edited by TrailGators

:grin:

Thanks. Yes, it does for the most part. So just to clarify one more thing, if Uno, Dos, Tres were listed today then Dos and Tres would have to be listed as mystery caches because of that phrase in the guidelines (I have no idea if it is old or new). If that were done than this type of series would be perfectly OK. Correct?

If a traditional cache leads to a bonus cache, which leads to another bonus cache ("A" leads to "B" leads to "C", and you're forced to do them in that order), that's a single 3-stage multi-cache, and your reviewer may require you to list it as such.

:grin:

Thanks. Yes, it does for the most part. So just to clarify one more thing, if Uno, Dos, Tres were listed today then Dos and Tres would have to be listed as mystery caches because of that phrase in the guidelines (I have no idea if it is old or new). If that were done than this type of series would be perfectly OK. Correct?

If a traditional cache leads to a bonus cache, which leads to another bonus cache ("A" leads to "B" leads to "C", and you're forced to do them in that order), that's a single 3-stage multi-cache, and your reviewer may require you to list it as such.

That's fine with me. I'd have just as much fun doing that cache either way.

So just to clarify one more thing, if Uno, Dos, Tres were listed today then Dos and Tres would have to be listed as mystery caches because of that phrase in the guidelines (I have no idea if it is old or new). If that were done than this type of series would be perfectly OK. Correct?

If these were to be submitted in my area I would instruct the cacher to change Uno to a multi-cache and add the waypoints for Dos & Tres as hidden waypoints. I would also likely point the cacher to the section of the website that describes cache types, specifically this section:

Multi-Cache (Offset Cache)

A multi-cache ("multiple") involves two or more locations, the final location being a physical container. There are many variations, but most multi-caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has hints to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a multi-cache.