Traveling Caches

M'Lord and m'lady

I’ve tried searching the forums for “Traveling Caches” but didn’t come up with anything specific.

Help! M’Lord and I tend to relocate every year or so: Michigan, Maryland, Florida all within the last 4 years….. but we desperately want to place a cache. I’ve just heard about a “Traveling Cache” Wow, this would be perfect for us but… I’m stumped at how to go about this. I understand it can be a cache that will travel anywhere or stay in one area but who maintains it if the log is full or wet? Can it have a theme: TB hotel, kids cache, keychains, only hide at WalMart or movie theaters? What size would be best? Would an ammo can be too big? Does placement have to be more then 530 feet from an already placed cache?

This seems like a great idea and I can’t wait to place our first cache. Any help, comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

m'lady

Traveling caches are no longer published on geocaching.com.

Take a look at the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines. http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Especially this part.

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published.

And this part ...

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Let me give you the Readers Digest version of the above post.

Traveling caches – Before travel bugs were ‘invented’ there were caches that acted like a ttravel bug does today. When the cache was found it was ‘taken’ and moved to a new spot. The person who moved it updated the information with the new coords. The issue was it could be moved at 10am and the next person at 10:05 am would know it was moved – Traveling caches are no longer allowed.

What's wrong with hiding caches also? If they're going good when you finally have to move, just leave them alone. Archive them if they need major maintenance or go missing, or else see if you can find a local to adopt the cache after you move.

Some state parks require that you fill out a cache permit application that expires after a year. You have to archive the cache or fill out a new permit at that time (and the new permit usually requires moving the cache). A year is plenty of time for a cache to be active before being archived, and that's only if you archive them.

The rules against traveling caches and "vacation" caches (caches placed in areas where you travel to only once or twice a year for a short time) don't really apply to your situation.

Let me give you the Readers Digest version of the above post.

Traveling caches – Before travel bugs were ‘invented’ there were caches that acted like a ttravel bug does today. When the cache was found it was ‘taken’ and moved to a new spot. The person who moved it updated the information with the new coords. The issue was it could be moved at 10am and the next person at 10:05 am would know it was moved – Traveling caches are no longer allowed.

I think the main reason they were banned is because there was no review process for each location. It was easy to place one in an off limits location, national park, government building, rr track, etc. and nothing to stop people from doing so.