Cache containers

Sford13

So far in my area, I have found that caches are mostly in tupperware or coffee containers. Have found 1 that was in an ammo can and think it was probably one of the better ones I have found. The 5# coffee cans I have found don't always keep the water out. And the tupperware is so so. Recently I have been doing some painting. Dutch Boy paint comes in a plastic jug with twist off cap and pour spout. Do you think it would be okay to clean the paint out, cut the spout off and use one of these. My guess is if they would hold paint in they would keep water out. The other items I have gotten recently are some thermos water jugs. These were given to me so I have no problem using them for a cache container. Just wonder what others thoughts are on using such items.

So far in my area, I have found that caches are mostly in tupperware or coffee containers. Have found 1 that was in an ammo can and think it was probably one of the better ones I have found. The 5# coffee cans I have found don't always keep the water out. And the tupperware is so so. Recently I have been doing some painting. Dutch Boy paint comes in a plastic jug with twist off cap and pour spout. Do you think it would be okay to clean the paint out, cut the spout off and use one of these. My guess is if they would hold paint in they would keep water out. The other items I have gotten recently are some thermos water jugs. These were given to me so I have no problem using them for a cache container. Just wonder what others thoughts are on using such items.

You only need to make sure that people can get the lid off when they find it.

Maybe a note in the cache description would help.

By the way .... Ammo boxes are cheap.

Try Lock n Locks. Under $3 at Walmart and they work quite well. Ammo boxes are getting harder to find, but they can be found for under $4 each if you really shop around. Some local geocaching organizations buy them in bulk and sell them to geocachers fairly cheap.

Here is an article on containers that you might find helpful

Regarding the paint containers, your best bet is to test them. I usually do this by filling them with paper towels and submerging them in water for a half hour (trying several positions, right side up, upside down and on their side), then seeing if the paper towels got wet.

Thermos containers make decent containers as long as they aren't the glass lined ones.

Edited by briansnat

I agree with others -- test the paint containers. Also be sure that the opening is large enough to get logs and swag in and out. It is pretty frustrating to try to squeeze into a tiny opening with logs and travel bugs etc. We have found the lock-n-locks to be pretty good as are the ever popular ammo cans. Film canisters, altoid tins, magnetic key holders, coffee cans, etc. always seem to end up leaking.

I agree with others -- test the paint containers. Also be sure that the opening is large enough to get logs and swag in and out. It is pretty frustrating to try to squeeze into a tiny opening with logs and travel bugs etc. We have found the lock-n-locks to be pretty good as are the ever popular ammo cans. Film canisters, altoid tins, magnetic key holders, coffee cans, etc. always seem to end up leaking.

altoid and other tin containers always end up rusting from the moisture - I would avoid any tin-type containers.

Even in water tight containers we use Ziploc baggies to hold the Log book & if we starting the cache out with TB's or anyother SWAG. We put it all in a larger Ziploc, with the log in it own ziploc all in this larger baggie.

Ammo Can's can be found in Army Surplus Stores. We have them here with stacks of can's. The 30cal. going for about $5.

The match stick containers is cheaper at wally world.

You can find cheap Bison tubes & the likes & Key holders (I use baggie on the log's in these too) at Harbor Freight Stores.

We have used Plastic containers that Spice, Salad dressing come in ,35mm film can's,, etc ,etc but we alway's put the log's in a ziploc baggies, You can find diff's size baggies in the craft area of wally world too.

We not had a wet log book yet.

Using the containers food comes in, We put strong soap & water in them & let them soak for day's or weeks before using them & use the cheap walmart brand spray to camo them up. Sometimes spraying the inside with some paint help mask the food smell so animals don't go packing it off,,,lol If they do, Cheap container to lose, But don't let it be for TB's to be put in.

Another Great deal with hiding or owning caches is to go Check on them every 30 day's. I do this if it's not been found in the last 30 day's. Alot of people to proud to log a DNF & that's not right, but what can we do?? lol

If it get's Reg. hunted & found & people have logged that everything is ok, Then we take that it been checked & is ok.

I done got side tracked here,,lol

Paint can/s should be fine if cleaned right away to get the paint of it & if they plastic & the paint should dry on them, Then the paint should be able to be peeled right off the can/s

I use screwtop plastic containers that used to contain health food. I tested them by filling them with water, drying the outside and giving them a good shake then leaving them upside down for a while.

If you can't get the paint off the cans you could always paint over them in colours to match the hiding place, uneven stripes of natural colours (brown, green etc) are an easy to paint camoflage.