Confused Loading Garmin Maps

knowschad

GPS: Garmin Legend HCx

Memory: 2GB Micro SD

Software: Garmin Mapsource Topo version 3.02

I have the Mapsource Topo maps. I'm trying to load maps from both the East and the West CDs. I tried loading first the selected East set (which worked fine) and then the selected areas from the West CD, which also worked fine, but it overwrote the East set previously loaded.

I have a 2GB micro SD card installed, yet seem to only be able to use a fraction of it.

I have the Mapsource Topo maps. I'm trying to load maps from both the East and the West CDs. I tried loading first the selected East set (which worked fine) and then the selected areas from the West CD, which also worked fine, but it overwrote the East set previously loaded.

I have a 2GB micro SD card installed, yet seem to only be able to use a fraction of it.

Load both at the same time..that is put both on the selected list at rhe same time....each time you load a new set it erases the old one

Load both at the same time..that is put both on the selected list at rhe same time....each time you load a new set it erases the old one

You have to select the maps you want from the East and then switch to the West maps and select them. Then upload the maps.

Also there is a limit on the number of segments but I don't remember what it is.

I'm getting it now... the selected areas get added to the list of map sections in the maps tab.

And to add the Ibycus maps, I guess I'd select those from the dropdown in the upper-left and select what I want from that as well?

Can I install the Garmin maps onto my harddrive so I don't need to switch CDs when I want to go from region to region?

I'm getting it now... the selected areas get added to the list of map sections in the maps tab.

And to add the Ibycus maps, I guess I'd select those from the dropdown in the upper-left and select what I want from that as well?

Can I install the Garmin maps onto my harddrive so I don't need to switch CDs when I want to go from region to region?

this will show you how to hard drive maps

and this tutorial shows you how to load maps:

load maps

OMG, what a MESS!! Does Garmin have any real programmers on staff? This has been a nightmare!

First... I was able to get the multiple maps installed as my original post was asking about. But then the nightmare began:

I first downloaded the 6.14 version, then saw the recommendations that 6.13.1 was better, so uninstalled that and downloaded the 6.13 version. After a LONG download and installation process, I'm now getting the very informative message:

"There is a problem with the Mapsource Installation. Please reinstall Mapsource and start it again." Well, naturally, reinstalling Mapsource and starting again brings up the same error (lather, rinse, repeat)

I've tried uninstalling (Add/Remove Programs), reinstalling the original version from the CD and upgrading, and just about everything I can think of.

Going to try again installing from the original CD and upgrading, but my temper is about ready to burst.

"There is a problem with the Mapsource Installation. Please reinstall Mapsource and start it again." Well, naturally, reinstalling Mapsource and starting again brings up the same error (lather, rinse, repeat)

I've tried uninstalling (Add/Remove Programs), reinstalling the original version from the CD and upgrading, and just about everything I can think of.

If you have Ibycus maps installed, try removing them. I seem to recall something about people getting that error message (or something very similar) when they had the Ibycus maps installed and upgraded their MapSource...

Do NOT update to 6.14 it is horrible!!!!

Many of us had to switch back to 6.13 and we are all much happier.

Got any specifics? If I have to call Garmin support (gag!) and they suggest I upgrade, it isn't going to be very helpful if I simply tell them that 6.14 is "horrible".

Did 6.14.1 address any of the issues that you're referring to?

If you have Ibycus maps installed, try removing them. I seem to recall something about people getting that error message (or something very similar) when they had the Ibycus maps installed and upgraded their MapSource...

Ahhhh! Thannks. That may help. I still have a couple of hairs left to pull out (I think... or is that just my imagination?) This has NOT been a happy experience, Garmin.

Do NOT update to 6.14 it is horrible!!!!

Many of us had to switch back to 6.13 and we are all much happier.

Got any specifics? If I have to call Garmin support (gag!) and they suggest I upgrade, it isn't going to be very helpful if I simply tell them that 6.14 is "horrible".

Did 6.14.1 address any of the issues that you're referring to?

Do a search for v6.14 and you will find a quite lengthy thread. I am back v6.13 and plan on keeping it.

the ibycus map error was fixed in version 2.0 and that has a specific error message and its not that one.

you need to install 6.13.x twice to get it to work after installing 6.14.

and you can get by and load maps with 6.14 (i have) so if its easier just use that version.

the ibycus map error was fixed in version 2.0 and that has a specific error message and its not that one.

you need to install 6.13.x twice to get it to work after installing 6.14.

and you can get by and load maps with 6.14 (i have) so if its easier just use that version.

Installing 6.13.x two or three or more times did not work for me. I had to manually get rid of the orphaned registry entries, as suggested above, then re-install my old version, followed by 6.13.7. Works now, and I'm not touching 6.14, thank you.