"Activate or not"...that is the geocoin question of the day

yukionna

I have just started to collect geocoins and was wondering if I should activate these coins or not. Since I have started to attend events, I noticed that many people carry around two coin collections with them -- the activated coins which can be discovered and the unactivated coins just to show off. I'm curious about what the reasons are for activating a coin vs. not activating a coin. What are your thoughts on this question?

Activated coins for discovery and unactivated for trading.

Edit to add: Showing off unactivated coins can be dangerous as their tracking numbers CAN (doesn't mean they will) fall into the hands of those who will try to find the activation code and activate the coin out of sheer cussedness. BEWARE of mean people that suck! Only show off your unactivated coins to serious minded trade partners.... or tape over the tracking numbers! :P

Edited by Droo

I agree with Earthrooster. It SHOULDN'T make a difference whether a con is activated or not because you could just adopt it over to someone if you wanted to sell or trade the coin, but it DOES make a difference to many people. I include myself in the group of people it makes a difference to. I don't know why, but it feels like you're buying something used as opposed to new and would expect that you would pay less for that item as opposed to the same item in "new" condition.

One slight difference is that an unactivated coin could not have traveled and so would have a better chance of being in uncirculated condition. For some reason, geocoins have never been graded as to their condition like regular coins; at least not yet. Maybe in years to come that will change (as they start to exhibit wear and tear from being nicked by handling), but for right now our grading system is simply activated vs. non activated. The shame of that is that you could have a coin that wasn't particularly well cared for, but not activated be worth more than a "mint condition" coin that is activated.

As to the OPs question, I would not activate the coins just in case you want to sell them at some point. If you want to bring them to a show, tape over the tracking numbers or something, but why take a chance on diminishing their values? For the people it makes no difference to, they won't care (activated vs. non activated) but for those who would care, you can offer a "higher quality" product for sale/trade.

I have just started to collect geocoins and was wondering if I should activate these coins or not. Since I have started to attend events, I noticed that many people carry around two coin collections with them -- the activated coins which can be discovered and the unactivated coins just to show off. I'm curious about what the reasons are for activating a coin vs. not activating a coin. What are your thoughts on this question?

I Think if you have received any in your collection as presents from cachers that you should activate those ones.

If they are ones you plan to keep then activate them.

If you are not sure on any of them then do not activate them as you may want to trade them later.

Edit to add: Showing off unactivated coins can be dangerous as their tracking numbers CAN (doesn't mean they will) fall into the hands of those who will try to find the activation code and activate the coin out of sheer cussedness. BEWARE of mean people that suck! Only show off your unactivated coins to serious minded trade partners.... or tape over the tracking numbers! :rolleyes:

Showing off the unactivated coins, if they become stolen wouldn't it be harder to prove it is yours. I have read in the forums that coins somehow become missing when the event is over. Where as the activated coins when you put the number in tracking it comes up to who owns it. I activate most all of ours. I have a few that I haven't activated so I can do the missions or trade them. But if they become lost I couldn't prove they were mine. By activating them I have documentation of geocaching.com that I am the owner. I don't have any intentions of selling them so I prefer having them activated.

Edit to add: Showing off unactivated coins can be dangerous as their tracking numbers CAN (doesn't mean they will) fall into the hands of those who will try to find the activation code and activate the coin out of sheer cussedness. BEWARE of mean people that suck! Only show off your unactivated coins to serious minded trade partners.... or tape over the tracking numbers! :rolleyes:

Showing off the unactivated coins, if they become stolen wouldn't it be harder to prove it is yours. I have read in the forums that coins somehow become missing when the event is over. Where as the activated coins when you put the number in tracking it comes up to who owns it. I activate most all of ours. I have a few that I haven't activated so I can do the missions or trade them. But if they become lost I couldn't prove they were mine. By activating them I have documentation of geocaching.com that I am the owner. I don't have any intentions of selling them so I prefer having them activated.

Stealing of unactivated coins happens very rarely in my experiences...in fact, I've never had it happen! Showing unactivated coins usually is done to make a trade or such, I don't show off unactivated cooins just to show them unless for trades.

Now, trading with some people isn't a sure thing you'll get an unactivated coin. I have traded with a few people who gave me activated coins without informing me of this. One in particular is still activated in this person's name even though it should have been adopted to me (actually, it shouldn't have even been activated to begin with). Always ask before making a trade!