notifications via text message?

dukeofurl01

You can...just enter your phone's text message address ( like for my Verizon phone, it's something like yourphonenumber@vtext.com) when you set up a subscription notice. I have to warn you though, I tried it and it doesnt work very well. I get a notice, but text messages are limited, so all I get is 'Reviewer so and so published XYZ cache. So I know a new cache has ben published and the name of it, but that's it. I still have to get online to find out any info about it.

Most carriers will have a special email address that includes your phone number that will result in an SMS being sent to your phone. There's a good list right here. You can then either send or forward your notifications to that address.

I've heard here that you may want to use the MMS address if you can, although each message costs more with MMS, the notifications might be split up over multiple SMS messages.

For Verizon, use the following:

<your cell phone number>@vzwpix.com

This will generate a "picture" of the complete text message. It does count as a picture rather than a text message so it cost a bit more (.25 each vs. .20 for text). Our you can go for the bulk package of $10.00/month. The break even is 40 messages.

Other carriers have a similar mechanism but I don't know their details.

You won't get the coordinates (I wish!!) but you do get the full notification including GC code, name, distance from home coordinates and a hotlink to the website (if your phone supports that).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty
  • Upvote 1