Instant Log Notification

WatchDog2020

I have a premium membership and have Instant Log notifications sent to my e-mail In the 'become a member' section it says:

Be Instantly Notified of Geocaches

Be the first to find a geocache when you receive Instant Notifications about newly published geocaches on your cell phone or other mobile device.

I don't see a way for SMS messages to be sent.

Or, if your phone has internet capabilities, you can send the message to the phone as an MMS (multimedia message), which will keep all the hyperlinks intact, so you can just select the new cache and be taken right to the GC site to look at the cache in your phone's browser.

But, if you don't have an MMS plan for a certain allotment free each month, double check the costs, because MMS usually cost more than SMS, sometimes 25 cents each.

I'm not reading this thread. I'm not reading this thread. I'm not reading this thread. I'm not reading this thread. I'm not reading this thread.

I don't need to know I can get notifications sent to my phone. I don't need to know I can get notifications sent to my phone. I don't need to know I can get notifications sent to my phone. I don't need to know I can get notifications sent to my phone.

Crap.

I just set it up.

:)

One thing that annoys me about the notification sent to your email, is that the email itself doesn't even contain the coordinates! So sure, even if I can read email through the cellphone, it'se useless if it either costs a lot to load webpages through your cellphone (goodbye pay-as-you-go minutes), or if your phone just can't display the geocaching page in general.

What'd be actually useful is if the coordinates were in the email. Then I could just pop them into the GPS if I have it with me, and off I go.

Yeah, what Motorcycle Mama said. This description often contains vital info about the cache that you should read.

What if a new cache came out at 7 p.m. and you got notification with the coords in it on your phone while driving around? You go to the coords, find the cache and return to your car, only to find a police officer waiting with a ticket for trespassing in the area after dark.

If you had read the description, you would have seen the note that warned against searching at night.

I have a dedicated Gmail account set up for instant notifications of all cache publications within 20 miles of my home coords. I have that email addy pushed to my blackberry with a specific notification tone. When I hear that tone I know that there's a new cache to find. I just click the link in the email and read the description. I paste the coords into google maps to see where it is. Then I load the Colorado up and am off (if i'm not at work when it comes in).