Geocaching Database Backup

j_czerwin

Your original post is missing, but, going by the title, you are wondering about data backup precautions for the geocaching.com site. You will want to ask the mods to move this thread to the Geocaching.com Website thread, as it can only be answered there, if an admin might be willing to bother to answer it.

Frankly, my own point of view is that for a measly fee of $3 per month for a premium membership, I certainly do not expect Fort Knox in terms of database backup/security, and rather, I am simply grateful for the existing level of database security, which seems to be more than adequate. Normally, in my experience, if you are gonna demand extremely high levels of data security or any kind of guarantees, then you are talking about monthly user fees of at least $20 per month per user, perhaps more.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

While not sanctioned by Groundspeak, since it involves maintaining an offline database :ph34r: , I've heard of some cachers who keep track of their found caches in programs such as Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.

I'm sure the site is backed-up regularly.

I'd be willing to bet at least once a week...possibly more often.

Each of us is more than within our rights to keep a separate, personal database of our own adventures.

Strange it is missing -- I will try to post elsewhere as suggested.

I wasn't really demanding anything, just curious as to what would happen if someone got a geocacher's password and went in and deleted years of cache logs, photos, trackable logs, etc...

Well that's nor really a database backup issue but one of security. You're as secure as your password is weak. If you're truly concerned about that, you can go here and have a random password generated. The problem most folks will have with a good password is trying to remember it, so it will likely be written down someplace and thus create a different weak point.

Edited by TotemLake

I wasn't really demanding anything, just curious as to what would happen if someone got a geocacher's password and went in and deleted years of cache logs, photos, trackable logs, etc...

Changing your password can be quite helpful.

If such a doomsday scenario was ever to occur, I would be most worried about losing finds on locked caches like the Locationless caches.

Edited by Kit Fox

Not a worry.

NOTHING on this site is EVER deleted.

Well, perhaps the photos...

When you 'delete' a log it is merely flagged to not be displayed.

The admins can, (and do) look at 'deleted' logs when they have the need.

If a cache owner deletes cache logs without due cause, the admins can restore them (and lock them from being 'deleted' again).

Your stuff is safe.

You would have some serious 'splainin to do to convince the required people to go to the trouble to restore it, but it could be done.

Well that's nor really a database backup issue but one of security. You're as secure as your password is weak. If you're truly concerned about that, you can go here and have a random password generated. The problem most folks will have with a good password is trying to remember it, so it will likely be written down someplace and thus create a different weak point.

Before I retired I worked in some of our nation's most secure places. Now I volunteer a places like the state Emergency Operations Centers and the National Weather Service, nowhere near as secure.

However, in both types of places finding passwords is often as easy as looking under someone's keyboard or at the note board on the wall. :)

As was mentioned, if you are worried about it run a My Finds PQ periodically and keep it in a GSAK database.

Your original post is missing, but, going by the title, you are wondering about data backup precautions for the geocaching.com site. You will want to ask the mods to move this thread to the Geocaching.com Website thread, as it can only be answered there, if an admin might be willing to bother to answer it.

Frankly, my own point of view is that for a measly fee of $3 per month for a premium membership, I certainly do not expect Fort Knox in terms of database backup/security, and rather, I am simply grateful for the existing level of database security, which seems to be more than adequate. Normally, in my experience, if you are gonna demand extremely high levels of data security or any kind of guarantees, then you are talking about monthly user fees of at least $20 per month per user, perhaps more.

Never really thought about this, but for $3 a month, I'd never expect TPTB to lose the database. And they never have. Grrr. You just reminded me of those clowns (whom I was paying $6 a month, good money at the time) who lost my entire website hosted by them twice within 18 months. I just checked, they're long since out of business. Good for them. :)

Oh yeah, do the GSAK thing if you're worried.

As was mentioned, if you are worried about it run a My Finds PQ periodically and keep it in a GSAK database.

For pure backup you don't really even need GSAK, just run the My Finds PQ and keep the attachment some where, (on your hard drive, burned to CD, on a thumb drive, etc). If something happened to gc.com's drives and the lost it, then you could get GSAK or some other program to look at the PQ.