Mailing Geocoins?

Team D.A.M.A.

I've got this same question asked on the Edmonton Alberta site but I want to get as many feelings about it as I can get. Here's the story...

I've got a couple of trackable geocoins here that I want to put back out, but what I'm wondering is can I mail one to my 7 year old son in Ontario to put into a cache out there? He LOVES geocaching (treasure hunts to him) and I would LOVE to be able to send at least one to him to do since I don't get to see him often. Kind of gives us a connection even though we're so far apart.

Edited by thompsonathan

I have a friend in San Fransisco and we regualryly trade coins. I send him the ones from Europe that have missions in the states or just want to clock miles and he sends me ones that are Europe bound. I usually check with the owner first but i have never had a refusal!

Yep - my mum (aged 79 and not caching savy) still wonders how her TB got from New Zealand to England..... so easily.

But it was a HUGE surprise to her that it got close to it's goal.

The postal service is great.

One caution - unactivated coins especially - keep a note of the tracking number. Some go missing in the mail from time to time. If unactivated, and you have the number you might one day be able to check it...... if it turns up in the caching arena.

Thank you for all of the responces. I had a generous offer from someone. This person has generously offered to send me an unregistered coin so that I can mail it to him myself and he can start it on it's way, and then track it himself. With any luck he'll have it sent to me so that we can just have it travel back and forth, but I'll leave that up to him.

Thank you for all of the responses. I had a generous offer from someone. This person (Not sure if he wants to remain anonymous or not) has generously offered to send me an unregistered coin so that I can mail it to him myself and he can start it on it's way, and then track it himself. With any luck he'll have it sent to me so that we can just have it travel back and forth, but I'll leave that up to him.

To this person, I say thank you. :anibad::blink::D

Trackables should follow the wishes of the owner. If you are the owner and you want to mail them, go right ahead. Get the proper insurance on the coins even, in case the postal service misplaces them. If they aren't your coins, then you should always ask the owner if they mind if it travels by mail. Getting lost in the mail and getting lost in caches are both possibilities to be aware of.

And yes, isn't it nice there are so many generous coiners out there? :anibad: